The Extremely Rare Leafs Playoff Thread

Well, what do you think?  Capitals or Senators

It's going to be an angry Columbus team tomorrow. All the Leafs need is a point and they can face the Senators. To me, that series would be a coin toss. If they face the Capitals, it's going to be an execution, 4 games and out.  :)

10 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

I think we can win a game or two against Washington. That said, I sure hope we can get a point tonight..... :eyeroll:

I think you'd be lucky to win ONE against the Caps. I've never said this before in my life...I think it's their year.

WHAT? THE MAPLE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS? 

GOOD LUCK IN THE FIRST ROUND! 

Should Toronto win the Stanley Cup, I just might have a stroke!

I had brown stains in my draws when the Cubs won the World series!

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Capitals are stacked. I pity the foo that runs into them.  :blink[1]:

All I have to say is that the Pens have their number in the Playoffs! (I believe the Pens have taken 7 of 8 against the Washington!)

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well, what do you think?  Capitals or Senators

It's going to be an angry Columbus team tomorrow. All the Leafs need is a point and they can face the Senators. To me, that series would be a coin toss. If they face the Capitals, it's going to be an execution, 4 games and out.  :)

Just beat The Blue jackets! I never liked or really disliked Columbus. I find this team as an irritating team!

Congrats to the Leafs and their fans!  Although I'm far from a Leafs fan, they played some exciting hockey and were fun to watch.  With So many young players, I compare them to Team North America in the World Cup of Hockey.  They will be a decent team for many years to come.

24 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I would love to see that! Washington would break their second round jinx by exiting in the first round!

They're actually quite adept at going out in the 1st round...they've done it 14 times.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

They're actually quite adept at going out in the 1st round...they've done it 14 times.

Two teams with a lot of baggage in this series. The Leafs still haven't lived down their epic collapse to the Bruins four years ago, and the Capitals haven't exorcised their playoff demons either. 

If the Leafs won the first game, it would start to cast a shadow of doubt for the Capitals and the "choke" label would get attached to them quickly. Toronto fans could start to rally behind that. (Although if there's any NHL team you can come back against, it's the Leafs!) I just don't see that happening though. I think the Capitals are going to treat game 1 as if it were the Stanley Cup final. The Leafs are going to be in way over their heads. All of Toronto's deficiencies on defence are going to be exploited to the maximum, and (BONUS) Andersen might have a concussion! I'm not even sure if he's playing or if the Leafs will enter with McElHinney and Sparks, both of whom suck.

It's a playoff appearance again (which is nice) and it's something to build on for next year (which is nice) but the Leafs have run into the one NHL team that nobody wanted to face in round one. :(

Zaitsev is out for the 1st game at least with Marincin replacing him so TO will essentially be playing 5 d-men.

Zaitsev looked so wobbly after being checked in his last game so I'm thinking concussion, 

23 hours ago, hobie said:

Zaitsev is out for the 1st game at least with Marincin replacing him so TO will essentially be playing 5 d-men.

Zaitsev looked so wobbly after being checked in his last game so I'm thinking concussion, 

What's the status of Andersen?  :IDunnoSmiley:

On 4/12/2017 at 1:52 PM, hobie said:

Will the real Washington Capitals please stand up! I have a feeling that we have not yet seen the best the Caps have to offer. Actually, the Leafs could very easily have been up 3 - 0. I don't know exactly what's missing but they have not looked like a President's Trophy winning team so far in this series.

Then again, if they decide they want to give the series to us, we'll take it. :eyeroll:

On 4/19/2017 at 6:29 AM, BluPuk said:

Will the real Washington Capitals please stand up! I have a feeling that we have not yet seen the best the Caps have to offer. Actually, the Leafs could very easily have been up 3 - 0. I don't know exactly what's missing but they have not looked like a President's Trophy winning team so far in this series.

Then again, if they decide they want to give the series to us, we'll take it. :eyeroll:

Maybe, you're being a Leaf pessimist, the Leafs are good, have been growing and evolving all season long and now it's simply a matter of them believing in themselves. In the last week of the season under the pressure of thinking they needed to win to avoid Washington in the playoffs TO stumbled but until that week TO was one of the better teams in the NHL for a fairly long period of time.

Pitts won the Cup last year with great forwards and superior goaltending, the d was suspect much like TO this year. TO's forwards are the equal to Pitts and perhaps due to depth maybe even superior and Andersen has been sensational. TO even in the playoffs and against Wash. is still able to score it's way to victories.

I don't want Wash. to give the series to TO, I expect TO to take it. Game 4 was a stumble, TO is tied in the series due to merit.

Archived