The Extremely Rare Leafs Playoff Thread

On 4/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, hobie said:

In the last week of the season under the pressure of thinking they needed to win to avoid Washington in the playoffs TO stumbled but until that week TO was one of the better teams in the NHL for a fairly long period of time.

Imagine Toronto vs Ottawa/Boston right about now. The Leafs would have destroyed either of those teams playing like they are now. :)

Pitts won the Cup last year with great forwards and superior goaltending, the d was suspect much like TO this year. TO's forwards are the equal to Pitts and perhaps due to depth maybe even superior and Andersen has been sensational. TO even in the playoffs and against Wash. is still able to score it's way to victories.

At no point in this series has it ever felt like Holtby was an unbeatable Vezina goalie that was stealing games for Washington. The Leafs do manage to score at will in this series -- unless they can't get to the net because of Washington's D. 

I don't want Wash. to give the series to TO, I expect TO to take it. Game 4 was a stumble, TO is tied in the series due to merit.

I agree, but I think the ride is over for the Leafs. The Leafs are declining as the series moves along. The Capitals have been getting a little bit better in every game of the series. In game 5, it was the Capitals that took the play to the Leafs most of the time. The Leafs need to regroup for this series to change. :)

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Capitals have been getting a little bit better in every game of the series. In game 5, it was the Capitals that took the play to the Leafs most of the time.

I'm seeing the series a little different with chances being traded fairly evenly?

4 hours ago, hobie said:

I'm seeing the series a little different with chances being traded fairly evenly?

I thought it was dead even at the beginning of the series, maybe even a slight edge to Toronto. To me, game 5 had an awful lot of "fire drill" situations where the Leafs were running around in their own zone hanging on for dear life. It didn't seem like they were getting much at Holtby. The power play was powerless at 0/4 and the Leafs struggled to get into Washington's zone. At least that was my read on it.  :IDunnoSmiley:

The Leafs have to be better in game 6. They're leaning on Andersen too much right now. :)

AUSTIN MATTHEWS GGGGOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!

Wow is this kid impressive. To have an 18 year old impose his will like this, it's awesome to watch.

It just clicked who Matthews game reminds me of. Austin is a bigger, stronger, faster and more physical version of Bryan Trottier. Same wicked shot, same killer work ethic, same awesome vision....and just like Bryan, Austin makes those around him better.

From this moment forward the Flyers will be chasing the Leafs in the East. They are in the thick of things with the leagues best team, which makes superior to Philly....it's just a fact.

7 hours ago, hobie said:

Matthews scored 4 goals in his first NHL game but the game tonite was the best I'd ever seen from him, it was awesome!

Awesome eh?

Archived