The Last Hurrah

WingNut722

What a game!  

Who is this Riley Sheahan guy?  The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't remember seeing him all season.  The last guy to wear #15 was a big Irish kid who looked real promising as a third line center, chipping off a dozen or so goals in a season.

You couldn't really ask for a better game to close out those hallowed halls than last night.  The Devil's certainly played hard and made the Wings work for it.  I don't think it would have been as good if it had been a blow-out, particularly considering those on the Devil's team who had Michigan roots.  THEY were helping to close out THEIR arena as well.  Both teams had great energy, and the crowd was insane.  I head that a total of 37 octopi had been tossed to the ice.  296 tentacles!  

On a more frustrating note though, can anyone tell me how the closing ceremony went?  Being in the NJ market, the Detroit feed was blacked out so I needed to watch the game via the MSG channel.  So they didn't carry the closing ceremony.  NHL Network didn't even pick it up!  I was pretty incensed that the NHL decided to bury this moment, particularly when there are Detroit Red Wings fans all over both the US and Canada.  Every away game has a considerable contingent of red and white in the stands.  Drives me bananas.....

@WingNut722 They brought out retired and former Wings to standing ovations and then Mickey and the boys interviewed players until 9ish. The ceremony is on YouTube if you would like to see it. Lots of memories and put a smile on my face. Classy way to send the old barn off to retirement.

Archived