• Habs sweep 4-0
    • Habs in 5
    • Habs in 6
    • Habs in 7
    • Rangers sweep 4-0
    • Rangers in 5
    • Rangers in 6
    • Rangers in 7

All discussion regarding this series goes here.

Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Rangers

Date TIME (ET) #1 Montreal vs. #4 NY Rangers Networks
Wednesday, April 12 7 p.m. NY Rangers at Montreal CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN
Friday, April 14 7 p.m. NY Rangers at Montreal CBC, TVA Sports, USA
Sunday, April 16 7 p.m. Montreal at NY Rangers NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports
Tuesday, April 18 7 p.m. Montreal at NY Rangers NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Thursday, April 20 TBD NY Rangers at Montreal TBD
*Saturday, April 22 TBD Montreal at NY Rangers TBD
*Monday, April 24 TBD NY Rangers at Montreal TBD

Through over the course of the season the Rangers scored more goals than the Habs, defensively the Habs are simply better.  I think this series comes down to goaltenders.  Lundqvist has been up and down.  As one analyst put it:

"In more games played, Price allowed fewer goals. his save percentage was better and so was his goals-against average (GAA). In three games against Montreal, Lundqvist allowed 11 goals and had a horrid 4.04 GAA and a .871 save percentage."

IMO it will be Price over Sir Henry and the home ice advantage will favor the Habs.

Habs in 6

The Rangers and Habs both have more or less the same record but:

The Rangers put up 102 points in Hockeys toughest division and the Habs put up 103 points in Hockey's worst divison. big difference.

I watched half a dozen Canadien games in the past month, something looks wrong, big time wrong with this team. Disinterested Hockey and clearly missing something.

I picked the Rangers in six relatively easy games unless Price steals the series. Montreal once again is just not very good with Price and a bad division creating the illusion that they are better than they are.

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I picked the Rangers in six relatively easy games unless Price steals the series. Montreal once again is just not very good with Price and a bad division creating the illusion that they are better than they are.

This.  All this all the time.

I, too, picked Rangers in six.  @pilldoc's quote about Lundy's 3 games against Montreal gave me pause for a moment, and there may end up being something to that.   I just don't like the way Montreal is playing.  

I picked the Rangers in 6 too.  The Rangers have been coasting along down the stretch, and are ready for this series. the only challenge will be getting goals past Price.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:43 AM, yave1964 said:

The Rangers put up 102 points in Hockeys toughest division and the Habs put up 103 points in Hockey's worst divison. big difference.

This. I picked the Rangers for this reason more than any other. Plus I still haven't forgotten that this Habs team missed the playoffs altogether last year.  :)

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This. I picked the Rangers for this reason more than any other. Plus I still haven't forgotten that this Habs team missed the playoffs altogether last year.  :)

Leafs fan picks against Habs.

In other news, water wet.

Habs in 6.

The Habs are all about Carey Price.

The rest of the team, quite frankly, outside of a player or three, is quite ordinary.

If Price plays like Price can, then he will steal this series from the Rangers.

But I think the Rangers offense may be a bit much overall for the Habs and the 'myth and mystique' the media is piling onto this Montreal team will be dispelled.

Going out on a little bit on a limb here and gonna say Rangers in 5......but for that to happen, Lundqvist CANNOT be the tired old goalie he appeared to be at times this season. If he has anything left, he has to leave it out on the ice.

Rangers offense is capable. They went through their rut...time to shine.

So yea, "upset special"...Rangers in 5.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, pilldoc said:

"In more games played, Price allowed fewer goals. his save percentage was better and so was his goals-against average (GAA). In three games against Montreal, Lundqvist allowed 11 goals and had a horrid 4.04 GAA and a .871 save percentage."

Well you can take that quote and burn it as Sir Henry shuts out the Habs 2-0.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Lundqvist CANNOT be the tired old goalie he appeared to be at times this season. If he has anything left, he has to leave it out on the ice.

Well he did just that by shutting out the Habs.  I watched most of the game and he made some nice saves.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Well he did just that by shutting out the Habs.  I watched most of the game and he made some nice saves.

That was a heckuva game. IMO, the Habs outplayed the Rags but couldn't get anything by Lundqvist.

I don't know that Lundqvist can steal four games for the Rangers, but I'm not counting him out just yet (even though I've got the Habs in the Conference Final in my bracket).

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, ruxpin said:

This.  All this all the time.

I, too, picked Rangers in six.  @pilldoc's quote about Lundy's 3 games against Montreal gave me pause for a moment, and there may end up being something to that.   I just don't like the way Montreal is playing.  

It is amazing how often great minds think alike.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If Price plays like Price can, then he will steal this series from the Rangers.

Quite possibly.  On the other hand, he played really well down the stretch and really only had an okay W-L record.   He was winning and losing a heck of a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games.   I think it's been awhile since his last shutout, so if the Rangers score at all, the pressure is on the Habs.

Interesting. If it wasn't for Price the Habs would be gone already. They had a PP for 2 minutes during which they had no shots on goal at all. One of the Rangers' goals was short handed. In the overtime it was as if the ice was tilted to the Habs' end.

I don't like the Habs' chances in this series.

Archived