• Capitals in 7
    • Maple Leafs sweep 4-0
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pass by the veteran, Brian Boyle. The Caps are da*ned lucky not to be down 2-0 heading to Leafland. I think they took Toronto for granted, and I also think they are way too many times when there is a lull in the flow of Washington's game. They take their foot off the gas too much.

43 minutes ago, hf101 said:
One way to silence those CowBells

I thought something was wrong with my TV at first. Eventually, they showed the fans waving the cowbells and I'm like "aw f_k, not this again".  It does get extremely annoying after awhile.  

The Capitals fans were booing their team quite frequently throughout the game. It was interesting to see. :)

35 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Great pass by the veteran, Brian Boyle. The Caps are da*ned lucky not to be down 2-0 heading to Leafland. I think they took Toronto for granted, and I also think they are way too many times when there is a lull in the flow of Washington's game. They take their foot off the gas too much.

The problem Toronto has now is that they lost another defenceman, arguably their best pure defender in Polak. The other players had to log huge minutes in this game with two overtimes + the extra minutes to cover for the injured players.

The Capitals may win the series simply by attrition. Either way, this is an amazing showing by the Leafs thus far. :)

On 4/12/2017 at 10:34 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I foresee one of two scenarios:

SCENARIO 1:

1: Caps win

2: Caps win

3: Caps win

4: Caps win

OR

SCENARIO 2:

1: Caps win

2: Caps win

3: Leafs win

4: Caps win

5: Caps win

New scenarios needed!!!

Well that was a great game last night.   It looked like there were several times that the Caps were going to dominate, but did not score goals.   Just think if the Leaf's would have won that first game.   

Most dangerous player that I saw on the Caps was actually Oshie in game two.   He had some great opportunities.    For the most part, the Leaf's were able to neutralize Ovie.  Just stay out of the box.

Well see over the course of the series if the "Go hit everything" attitude of the Caps pays off, or at home in the Garden whether the Leaf's can counter with their speed. I think the Cap's underestimated the young Leaf's so far.

A shame for Polak, that was just an awkward way that he fell. 

Edit:

FYI, I think that the Leaf's win game three with the power of the crowd behind them.  If that DOES happen,  I can just imagine the "Oh **** not this again" thoughts going through the Caps minds. 

@nossagog

when your team is dominating the play and not scoring...man that can be demoralizing.

There were a couple of times last night in every period where the caps would have 5 or 6 really good chances in a row and be dominant with puck possession for 3 to 4 minutes and couldn't score At what point does that start to creep into a team's psyche.

I agree though, that game was fun as hell to watch.  The Leafs have some really good young players, i think the Maple Leaf Nation has reason to be excited about the future.

Marner has been wonderful so has Nilander.

14 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The problem Toronto has now is that they lost another defenceman, arguably their best pure defender in Polak. The other players had to log huge minutes in this game with two overtimes + the extra minutes to cover for the injured players.

The Capitals may win the series simply by attrition. Either way, this is an amazing showing by the Leafs thus far. :)

Terrific game. Terrific win.  I haven't rooted that hard for a team 1) other than the Pens and 2) playing the Flyers...in a long time.:DancingGrape:

On 4/11/2017 at 8:11 PM, FD19372 said:

The Leafs will get swept. Too much firepower and experience for the Caps, and not enough experience for the Leafs.

I prefer barbecue sauce with my crow.:thumbsu:

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

When is A.O. going to be healthy and suit up??

Oh wait......

Probably tonight now that Roman Polak isn't shadowing him.  :hocky:

I've been impressed with the play of JVR and Bozak. JVR had another great season for the Leafs and he's been one of the go-to guys in the playoffs. Bozak was a secondary contributor during the season, but he's front and center right now in this series. Kapanen has been amazing!

Still waiting to hear from Matthews, Nylander, and Kadri in this series though. :)

Yet another entertaining game, especially since its not my team this time in overtime.   Pushes by both teams throughout the night, and a power play to end it.    Gotta think there are some nervous Caps fans now.   

On 4/16/2017 at 11:14 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Very nice Leaf nation.  Enjoy.  But this will not be a happy ending.  Washington will win this series or I will be a monkey's uncle.  

For the record, what is the name of your monkey nephew? 

I can hardly believe what I'm seeing. To be honest, I have no idea if Washington is off their game, but I can sure tell you that the Leafs (so far) are on theirs. I fact, I never dreamed they could be this good. Yah, I know they haven't won diddley yet, but no one thought them capable of winning two games when this series began - including me.. :hithead:

From the Caps forums.... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningEdge View Post
It's time to fire Trotz

Way too late for that.

This is the 1972 Dolphins coached by Rich Kotite.

======================================================

Pretty sure God couldn't coach this team of mental midgets to a Cup.

=========================================================

Nobody is ever going to confuse these guys for having the heart of a champion. They're the NHL's version of a BYE week come playoff time

2 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

but no one thought them capable of winning two games when this series began - including me.

I actually picked the Caps in 6. I said the Caps will lose 2 games they should not lose.  Here are your 2 games! :)

So what excuse will the Caps use this year if they are eliminated? The 'hot goalie' excuse or is this year of 'not enough team speed,' or do people still think the Caps will gut this one out? 

The Cap players are finally getting a sudden revelation..... in the same way that the captain of the Titanic owned that moment he felt a sudden, pronounced thud

Of course, if they DO gut it out, they'll move on to face a Pittsburgh team which has systemically and professionally dismantled the Blue Jackets...

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

So what excuse will the Caps use this year if they are eliminated? The 'hot goalie' excuse or is this year of 'not enough team speed,' or do people still think the Caps will gut this one out? 

The Cap players are finally getting a sudden revelation..... in the same way that the captain of the Titanic owned that moment he felt a sudden, pronounced thud

Of course, if they DO gut it out, they'll move on to face a Pittsburgh team which has systemically and professionally dismantled the Blue Jackets...

"Well the Leaf's were supposed to lay down for us!".  

Looking at that game last night, specifically the two minute 5 v 3 the Caps had,  they had no urgency whatsoever.    Someone needs to tell them this is the playoffs, and nothing is given to you.    On the other hand, I'd love to see them go down in round 1 and enjoy yet another President's Trophy. 

32 minutes ago, nossagog said:

"Well the Leaf's were supposed to lay down for us!".  

Looking at that game last night, specifically the two minute 5 v 3 the Caps had,  they had no urgency whatsoever.    Someone needs to tell them this is the playoffs, and nothing is given to you.    On the other hand, I'd love to see them go down in round 1 and enjoy yet another President's Trophy. 

The Caps have to have a severe case of sphincter shrinkage at this point. This is not a team whose MO is stepping up in high pressure situations...like down 2-1 on the road for a Game 4. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

At one point the Capitals had a 5-on-3 last night (when the score was 3-1 Washington) and couldn't score. That was the defining moment of the game. They opened with two quick goals and were just about to bury the Leafs on the powerplay... except that it didn't happen. The Leafs once again did the "bent but not break" routine and came back. The Capitals seemed to lose their will to win after that point (or didn't know any more how to win) and Toronto took it to them for most of the game from that point on. :)

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

2-1.  No need to panic.  

On the contrary....the Caps have to start playing desperate hockey.  They CANNOT go down 3-1 if they have any hopes to win this series.  Game 4 is a must win for the Caps. 

Archived