Date TIME (ET) #2 Edmonton vs. #3 San Jose Networks
Wednesday, April 12 10 p.m. San Jose at Edmonton Sportsnet, TVA Sports, USA
Friday, April 14 10:30 p.m. San Jose at Edmonton Sportsnet, TVA Sports, NBCSN
Sunday, April 16 10 p.m. Edmonton at San Jose NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports
Tuesday, April 18 10 p.m. Edmonton at San Jose NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports
*Thursday, April 20 TBD San Jose at Edmonton TBD
*Saturday, April 22 TBD Edmonton at San Jose TBD
*Monday, April 24 TBD San Jose at Edmonton TBD

The Sharks have only scored more than 2 goals once in their last 20 games. I don't like the way they are playing at all right now. I'm picking the McDavid and the Oilers, who are young, and dangerous team for anyone to face in the playoffs because they can skate, have very good goaltending and have the capability of putting a lot of pucks in the back of the net. The Oilers, in what some would call an upset, in 7.

Sharks in 6 simply because of experience, but agree with all above.  This series could go either way.  Talbot/McDavid vs. Jones/Pavelski ...... too bad this will be late start times here on East Coast.  Would love to watch this match-up.

San Jose, for all intents and purposes, has some unfinished playoff business to attend to.

Western Conference champs is nice, but they want the BIG title.... Stanley Cup Champion.  And after coming close last year, you can bet they will be all about returning for another crack at it.

Yes, the Sharks limped into the playoffs, but I gotta believe they are gonna get their schtick together long enough to get by the 'upstart' Oilers.

I actually LIKE Edmonton....but barring the Sharks laying a complete egg, I think the more playoff tested San Jose squad outdoes the fantastic up n comers on the Oilers.

If Edmonton wins, I would consider it an upset here, despite them being the higher seed and the opening round host.

Sharks got all that nasty losing out of their system at season's end and they basically have the same core that fell just short last year.

The Oil have the makings of a good competitive, even championship team, for years to come (remember everyone, I picked them to be the NEXT Canadian based franchise to hoist the Cup! ;) ), but in the present day, Sharks in 6.

I went with the Sharks based on experience, and i went with 6 games.

6 games because the Oilers are the higher seed so game 7 is in Edmonton.  I don't like the Sharks' chances if it goes 7.  Of all the first round series, this one is the hardest for me to guess (that doesn't mean I can't be wrong on the others, but on paper the others *seem* easier).

So, I guess Sharks in 6.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton win it in 6 or less, though.

I too am going with experience here, I think the Sharks are just waiting in the waters this season and are ready to ramp it up.

Sharks in 6 as they bite at the Oilers mistakes.

As ever, I'm not Carnac the Magnificent, so I offer no guess as to how it will turn out.

-The Sharks are beaten up at key positions, have been playing no-so-great hockey for awhile now, and until they won against the Flames on the last day of the season, they hadn't beaten a WC playoff team since January. They also have a tremendous amount of playoff experience, and have gone through seasons which some would call choking as well as having a good enough year to come up only 2 wins shy of a Cup win.

-The Oilers have only gotten better as the year has gone on, but of their key players, only one (Lucic) has any playoff experience, so who the knows how they will play?

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

As ever, I'm not Carnac the Magnificent, so I offer no guess as to how it will turn out.

-The Sharks are beaten up at key positions, have been playing no-so-great hockey for awhile now, and until they won against the Flames on the last day of the season, they hadn't beaten a WC playoff team since January. They also have a tremendous amount of playoff experience, and have gone through seasons which some would call choking as well as having a good enough year to come up only 2 wins shy of a Cup win.

-The Oilers have only gotten better as the year has gone on, but of their key players, only one (Lucic) has any playoff experience, so who the knows how they will play?

I think this series will really show the NHL what the Oilers have in players like McDavid and Draisaitl.

These two are obviously talented players, especially McDavid, but they will find the NHL playoffs to be a different animal than the regular season with MUCH less room to maneuver and savvy vets biting at them at every turn for the duration of the series.

Also, other players on the Oilers who HAVE been around longer, but never tasted the post season will find themselves in the same 'sink or swim' situations and that can only bode well for this squad as a whole moving forward.

Either many of your non playoff tested players will be made stronger NHL'er through this, or they whither under the pressure...in which case Edmonton will know who they may NOT want to keep around long term.

Win or lose, drawing the previous year's Western Conference champs is the perfect 'litmus test' for your guys.

McLellan's decision  to move Draisaitl down to C3, was a great call, and he was able to do it without breaking up the Lucic/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle line. With 19-97-29 together, Brent Burns and Joe Thornton lost the possession war against Nugent-Hopkins, but were able to feast on the soft underbelly of David Desharnais. This would have killed the Oilers in the end. Peter DeBoer has been keeping Burns away from McDavid, and was using him against either Desharnais or Letestu, and using Draisaitl in that spot cuts that disadvantage in half, giving the Sharks only one line they can freely make hay against.

Good work. It's some kind of convenience to be able to roll out 3 centres of that quality, one after another.

Can't believe Kassian is killing the Sharks in this series.

He was nothing more than a 4th line goon when he played he in Rochester at the start of his career. I know he has battled some personal demons to get where he is today so good for him.

I honestly thought this game was in the bag for San Jose once they went up 3-1.

Kudos to the resiliency and heart of the Oiler players.

And yea, that hit by McDavid was something....albeit, the guy getting hit had absolutely NO CLUE what was coming, so McDavid was able to make that hit look even grander than what it would have been had the other player seen him coming at him.

Still though, always good to see star players not afraid to 'get their hands dirty'.

Oilers now face the toughest task yet for them: Putting away a seasoned team for that 4th win in a series.

Always good seeing players the Flyers gave up on do well in the playoffs. 

Patrick Maroon guess getting kicked out of the Flyers organ-eye-zay-shun has worked out ok for ya.   :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

19 hours ago, Samifan said:

Always good seeing players the Flyers gave up on do well in the playoffs. 

Patrick Maroon guess getting kicked out of the Flyers organ-eye-zay-shun has worked out ok for ya.   :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

The Flyers, like everyone else, have given up on players that came back to haunt them.

But there are also players that needed a kick in the arse to wake the F up and realize they're throwing away a career playing a game they hopefully love for good money.

Maroon falls into the latter category.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers, like everyone else, have given up on players that came back to haunt them.

But there are also players that needed a kick in the arse to wake the F up and realize they're throwing away a career playing a game they hopefully love for good money.

Maroon falls into the latter category.

Twice, actually. The Ducks became frustrated with his inability or unwillingness to whip himself into better shape, and it was only this off-season where he finally got the idea.

Archived