Sutter and Lombardi FIRED!

Poulin20

I'm not surprised about Lombardi, but I am about Sutter. I thought that he deserved a better fate. Quick got hurt this year, and has not been that great over the last couple of years. When you factor that all they really have is Carter to put the puck in the net, and all Lombardi could come up with is Lucic and then Iginla via trade then Gaborik as secondary scoring, he let the roster get depleted and deserved the door. Plus, there's the curse of Hextall upon them.:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Didn't see this coming.

I guess two Cups don't buy you long huh?

WTF does Rob Blake know about building a Cup winner?

Don't hand me that crap winning a Cup at the end in Colorado.......

Based on the two posts I've read, this is a comment of prolonging a core with long-term contracts and locking in to an older and under-performing roster.  I'll be curious to see if Stevens is given a shot or they decide to go with fresh blood.  

Lombardi extended a guy who topped out at 81 points in 09-10 for eight years and $10M per.

You guys think Giroux is "untradeable"? I give you Anze Kopitar which is, apparently, Slovak for "Ilya Bryzgalov."

There was no need to re-sign Kopitar to that deal and three seasons from now - barring a miracle - they will have close to $26M in cap space allotted to four guys - three of whom are 35 or older (Kopitar, Brown, Gaborik, Crater) and the other is 32.

Then you can add another $8M in contracts to two 32 year old defensemen (Martinez, Muzzin).

So, $34M in contracts to five players 32 years old or older.

That, my friends, is a tragic mistake.

And it follows the egregious mistake of "trusting" Mike Richards.

They've got the two Cups - but they're not getting any more any time soon.

6 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I'm curious to what prospects they have in the pipeline?

Adrian Kempke was supposed to be a scoring forward but so far at the AHL level has been bad to mediocre. Jonny Brodzinski had a decent season in the AHL but is 24 and probably not really an NHL player, a couple of guys, Loverde and Mersh who might be middling NHLers if things break right but that is about it at least at or near being NHL ready to help.

I truly was surprised by Lombardi more than Sutter as the builder of two cup teams but looking at it they were low seeds who surprised catching lightning in a bottle not once but twice. Donating Martin Jones to the Sharks via Boston and watching the Sharks contend within the same division has of course been painful to watch as well.

I think that based off the contracts of the aging veterans and the lack of near ready talent that it could be a couple of rough years but the team still is three deep in very talented defenseman and if Quick bounces back and if a signature move for scoring help to go along with Carter is made by new GM Blake the team could hang around for a few years.

Both will land on their feet. I would not mind Sutter coming to Detroit even.

19 hours ago, radoran said:

You guys think Giroux is "untradeable"? I give you Anze Kopitar which is, apparently, Slovak for "Ilya Bryzgalov."

this is hilarious, +1

still laughing out loud.

On 4/11/2017 at 1:35 AM, radoran said:

Lombardi extended a guy who topped out at 81 points in 09-10 for eight years and $10M per.

There was no need to re-sign Kopitar to that deal and three seasons from now - barring a miracle - they will have close to $26M in cap space allotted to four guys - three of whom are 35 or older (Kopitar, Brown, Gaborik, Crater) and the other is 32.

Then you can add another $8M in contracts to two 32 year old defensemen (Martinez, Muzzin).

So, $34M in contracts to five players 32 years old or older.

That, my friends, is a tragic mistake.

And it follows the egregious mistake of "trusting" Mike Richards.

They've got the two Cups - but they're not getting any more any time soon.

Let's be fair. Kopitar is in the Toews mold defensive guru. Toews topped out at 76 points in 10-11 and averages 60 and he got 10.5 million for 8 years too. I won't question that contract too much.

But Lombardi made a lot of mistakes people forgave because of 2 cups(Who wouldn't).

Dustin Brown? Signed from 2014-15 for 8 years to about 6 million per. The year his extension kicked in he had scored 29 and 27 points the previous 2 seasons and he is not a defensive guru.

Gaborik? The whole league knew the man was made of glass. He has been missing 20-40 games per season every season or so since 2005. But he did not want to let his rental go.

His trades are also perplexing. The amount of future he gave away for a year of Lucic(1st+jones+Miller)

Also a Sekera rental for a 1st +prospect.

rented iginla and bishop this year when most were assuming the kings would miss the playoffs.

He got a MASSIVE get out of jail free card with Richards and still messed it up

@J0e Th0rnton

Man that nailed it. IMHO if you are in cap hell because of two cup wins then the organization and fans just need to suck it up and say that was the cost of winning.

Brown's contract was a massive mistake but one that a lot of teams make when they win, they overvalue their spear carriers. It happens. Brown carried a lot of weight in the first cup especially and they made a common mistake by paying with the heart instead of taking a clinical approach. Kopitar had an off year but I do not think he is done by any stretch.

To me it comes down to the awful way that Richards was handled, Gaborik, Lucic, Iggie, Bishop, Voynov, Stoll as well.

Martin Jones IMHO cannot be blamed on Lombardi, I think a lot of teams saw Bernier as Quicks backup doing very well get dealt to Toronto where he failed miserably and saw a parallel between Bernier and Jones and were cautious. Potting Lucic for Bernier would have been a coup and I am sure that is how Lombardi and many throughout the league saw it. Jones coming back to a rival and exceeding expectations did not help.

So poor contract management but three headcases in Richards, Stoll and Voynov didn't help either and a depleted farm system. But they have their two cups and that counts for a Hell of a lot. A lot of teams are slipping into mediocrity and cap hell with a lot less to show for it.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@J0e Th0rnton

So poor contract management but three headcases in Richards, Stoll and Voynov didn't help either and a depleted farm system. But they have their two cups and that counts for a Hell of a lot. A lot of teams are slipping into mediocrity and cap hell with a lot less to show for it.

His handling of Jarret Stoll had me scratching my head. The first contract, for $3.6M in 2009, was bad luck: within 3 weeks of signing it, Stoll's medical came back at camp, and it was determined that he was having problems with arthritis. He was turning 26 that year, and this could only get worse. I can't really blame Lombardi for that one. What I couldn't figure out was why followed that up by assigning another $3.2M in cap space to Stoll in 2013, when Stoll's abilities were clearly becoming diminished, and his Pts/60 rates were literally half of what they were before.

Looking back now, we can see that Lombardi didn't clearly identify a core group of players, and instead paid everybody who had been part of their success. Maybe it's not fair to keep comparing him to his counterparts in Chicago, but what else can we do? These were mistakes, and they slowly cost him his job.

This is what I'm hoping Peter Chiarelli doesn't do with the Oilers. Patrick Maroon is putting up nice number for them, because he's smart enough to take his big ass to the net when he's on the ice with Connor McDavid. At $1.5M (which the Ducks are paying 1/4 of) he's on a bargain deal which I would ride hard and put away wet. I would NOT pay him the going rate when it expires, and instead let him move on after, because his contract just wouldn't fit in with the core of that team. It would be a mistake to keep him, and those were the series of errors which Lombardi made.

Is now the right time to promote John Stevens?

Maybe Blake want's new coaching blood in the mix, but if Steven's is ever to get another coaching stint in the NHL this is probably his best chance.

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

Is now the right time to promote John Stevens?

Maybe Blake want's new coaching blood in the mix, but if Steven's is ever to get another coaching stint in the NHL this is probably his best chance.

I'll never be a fan of the idea of Stevens being a head coach. I think it's a bad idea. 

But I agree that it's probably now or never for him. 

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll never be a fan of the idea of Stevens being a head coach. I think it's a bad idea. 

But I agree that it's probably now or never for him. 

Really? ... his coaching record really warrants a 2nd chance. A Calder Cup, took the Flyers to the playoffs in 2 of the 3 years in Philly, including a trip to the conference finals, and has won 2 Stanley cups as an assistant coach in LA.  

I see him getting a 2nd chance sometime soon.

11 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Really? ... his coaching record really warrants a 2nd chance. A Calder Cup, took the Flyers to the playoffs in 2 of the 3 years in Philly, including a trip to the conference finals, and has won 2 Stanley cups as an assistant coach in LA.  

I see him getting a 2nd chance sometime soon.

I can see him getting a second chance. And I think this current opening is his best chance. 

I personally wouldn't hire him. I didn't like him from day one and was gleeful when he was fired. About the same feeling as I had with Berube. 

It's one of the reasons I'm as shocked as anyone that I'm being so patient with Hakstol. 

See what happens on the second chance. But I'm not bullish. 

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Does Rob go out and hire the coach who lead him to a Stanley Cup???

Bob Hartley???

I say yeah why not.....

Not a bad guess, actually. Wouldn't shock me. 

Archived