Eichel: "too many guys just happy to be here"

yave1964

Wow. This team just became Jack Eichel's team.

He already has developed a rep as a guy who speaks his mind and in his end of season locker cleanout day he was clearly frustrated with missing the postseason and with the team around him. On top of calling himself out saying he is not satisfied with his own season he called out some teammates.

"I think guys want to win, but there's a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win and putting the work in and dedicating your life to it," said Eichel.

Well, it probably doesn't help Eichel's mood that he lost out on a bonus cool $2M because he finished in 11th place behind Leon Draisaitl in the PPG race....he was supposed to finish in the top 10 to get his bonus...and he was 0.005 pts behind Draisaitl...I kid you not.... :shifty:

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed-out-on-a-2-million-contract-bonus-b-1794201575

At any rate, and in looking at the big picture, good on Eichel for NOT being happy with the way the team finished the season.

I mean, overall, I'd say Buffalo made some very good strides, but ya gotta like an athlete the caliber of Eichel not being happy with simple "good strides".

For all the upside this Sabres team has, they still seem to lack, among other things, a certain fire and attitude of "2nd place sucks....and last in the division sucks worse!"

If Jack Eichel is going to bring the mentality of "championships every year" AND his teammates buy in, then the Sabres are in good hands.

But for now, more players need to get on the program, some better defensive bodies need to be brought in (along with the goaltending taking yet another step up), and the forwards need to be at LEAST 3 lines deep....not the one, sometimes two line team the Sabres have shown themselves to be this season.

Losing Okposo down the stretch clearly didn't help.

But Buffalo was closer to a guaranteed Atlantic Division playoff spot (17 points) than, for example, the Flyers (20) were to a guaranteed Metro spot.

I gotta believe this was a shot across Kane's bow (who at least potted 28 goals this season), but could also be at Matt Moulson perhaps being a little too content with his 16 career playoff games in 10 seasons with 14 goals and 32 points for $5M. I don't think 35 goals and 94 points is what Buffalo was expecting for $15M over the past three seasons. Kulikov kinda mailed it in this year, too.

Buffalo doesn't need Matt Moulsons and Cody McCormicks. They need younger, hungrier players

I might take a serious look at Jordan Weal and maybe even Sam Gagner on the UFA market.

Reminds me of JS Giguere:

“Some guys are more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games, than playing every minute of the games. Quite frankly, I don’t care about your Vegas trip right now.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/04/08/jean-sebastien-giguere-colorado-avalanche-tirade-against-teammates-practice/12915/

If I were Tim Murray, I would have had a pretty big smile on my face witnessing Eichel take such a step forward as a leader.

• 2 months later...

Archived