Blues showing what they are made of

Buffalo Rick

13 hours ago, intheslot said:

Looking good for the blues now ....

Huh?? Hell no it's not!!!

CURRENT MATCHUP
Nsh.png&h=40&w=40 Nashville (48-16-10, 106 points)
Games remaining: 8 (4 home, 4 away)
vs. quality teams: 7, vs. West: 3
StL.png&h=40&w=40 St. Louis (42-28-5, 89 points)
Games remaining: 7 (3 home, 4 away)
vs. quality teams: 4, vs. West: 6
Regular season series (Predators lead 4-0-0)
Nov 24, 2017 Nashville 2, St. Louis 0
Dec 27, 2017 Nashville 2, St. Louis 1
Feb 13, 2018 St. Louis 3, Nashville 4 (OT)
Feb 25, 2018 St. Louis 0, Nashville 4

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Not a fan of the Blues but gotta hand it to them, they coulda easily just written the season off after the Stastny trade but somehow that seems to have righted the ship.

I don't think it's that as much as Johnathan Quick has looked really human this year.

He stank vs. Oilers yesterday. 889%

889% vs. Minny 

893% vs Devils

862% vs. Blues

833% vs. Blackhawks

875% v.s Oilers

Sorry but he has not performed well for awhile now.

Not for that and a Jeff Carter injury for most of the year that wouldn't have a chance.

Ducks have underwhelmed a lot too.

@OccamsRazor

In the Ducks case I will make the case that injuries have decimated the team several times over throughout the season and they have hung in there. I still say they are among the elite teams in the West and if healthy come postseason are quite capable of making noise-not just getting in and going home after a quick series. They play a heavy game that is favorable in the postseason, I have never been a big fan of the way that Perry and Getzlaf cry over every call or non call but neither takes a shift off and I like the homegrown kids quite a lot. Gibby is the key to their season if he cannot stay in net and they have to rely on Miller it will be a quick and forgettable postseason.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 3:32 PM, flyercanuck said:

They're finished.

Deja vu. 

And as a Flyer fan whose team holds the Blues 1st round pick I'd like to thank Buffalo Rick for making that a lottery pick. Now if we could ask one more favor of you...please guarantee a lottery win for the Blues...I'd prefer a 14th overall pick this year than a relegated 1st next season. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Deja vu. 

And as a Flyer fan whose team holds the Blues 1st round pick I'd like to thank Buffalo Rick for making that a lottery pick. Now if we could ask one more favor of you...please guarantee a lottery win for the Blues...I'd prefer a 14th (maybe 13th) overall pick this year than a relegated 1st next season. 

How sweet would that be to get Frost and Dahlin for Schenn!!!!!!!! :cheers:

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How sweet would that be to get Frost and Dahlin for Schenn!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if the Blues win the lottery they will defer the pick to 2019. 

It would be sweet though.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if the Blues win the lottery they will defer the pick to 2019. 

Wait so it is after the lotto??

I thought it was if they finished inside the top 10.

I didn't know they get to decide and the lotto balls.

Well damn if that is the case that sucks.

Let the excuses from @Hockey Junkie for why the Blues missed the playoffs begin in 3...2....1.....

Sooooo revisiting the trade of Schenn going to the Blues...

In 2016-17 with NO Schenn... Blues make the Playoffs

In 2017-18 WITH Schenn ... Blues MISS the Playoffs

In 2016-17 with Schenn ... Flyers miss the Playoffs

In 2017-18 with NO Schenn ... Flyers MAKE the Playoffs

After a strong start, (41 games - 17G, 24A, 41 PTs  +21) ....he shows his true colors in the 2nd half of the season...41 games for 11G, 18A. 29 PTS, and a (-11).

We all warned HJ how streaky Schenn was and he could not be counted on.

For the record Schenn would have been 4th on the team behind Giroux (102)/ Voracek(85) / Couturier (76) and he would have been just ahead of Ghost (65)

So what did the Blues really gain?

To the Blues organization ...thank you for the Draft Pick!

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You are correct...it is a protected 1st.  If the Blues win the lottery and get a top 10 pick,they will probably defer to 2019.  So we will all pray when the lottery results are out, the Blues get #11!  :VeryCool:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If that happens, and they defer, do we get their  2019 1st even if it's a top 10 pick?

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

So what did the Blues really gain?

@Hockey Junkie

Schenn....the streaker!

30 points his first 22 games....112 point pace
28 points in his middle 48 games....48 point pace
12 points his last 12 games....82 point pace

Thanks Blues!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

To me, the real choker in the West was Dallas,  too much talent for them to have finished behind both Colorado and St. Louis. 

Dallas is right there, but I go with St. Louis on the ultimate choke.   You trade two #1s like that and you think you're going all in.

But I don't get Dallas.  I agree there's too much talent there to miss the playoffs altogether.  I wouldn't have argued they were contenders even on paper, but yeah, they should be a playoff team.   One of the problems is that Bishop is really not the stud goalie they thought they were getting.   And Letfourin is named that for a reason (for stretches, he actually outplayed Bishop).  The other issue is honestly behind the bench.   Can we please dispense with the idea that Ken Hitchcock is a good idea for an NHL team?

They have enough there that they should be better.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@ruxpin

Hitchock- Former Blues coach

Bishop-Former Blues goalie

They shoulda known better than to bring that kind of bad karma in at one time, lol.

LOL I completely forgot Bishop was drafted by and started on the Blues.

Blues are fine just the way they are!!

This is a LOADED team!

Should be favorites for winning the Stanley Cup for the next several years.

But dam it all...it's that Marblehead!

Fire Marblehead, or St. Louis won't ever raise the Cup!

Coach lets those goals in.

Coach isn't defending properly.

Coach isn't scoring in the clutch.

Fire Marblehead or NO CUP!! :ph34r:

(Nevermind that he wasn't here before when the Blues didn't win anything.....don't start trying logic on me now, dagnabbit!)

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You trade two #1s like that and you think you're going all in.

I think they should fire Armstrong.

Look how close they were and the difference to me was trading Stansny WTF would you make a move like that after it seemed you were all in as you said with moving the two #1s!!!!!!

That sent the wrong message to the team i think that management doesn't believe in you.

Terrible move it is why i would maybe just hit the reset button hire a new GM and let him find a new coach for them.

This team has to much talent still to NOT make the playoffs.

I found this article and i don't have access to ESPN insider however i thought the title said a lot:

Looking ahead for the Blues: Find Tarasenko a center, figure out the goaltending plan

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/22836509/nhl-st-louis-blues-2017-18-season-snapshot-offseason-preview

So this says to me yeah Schenn ain't know #1 center (which we all knew anyways).

If any has access could you please post this article i would love to know what is says.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think they should fire Armstrong.

Look how close they were and the difference to me was trading Stansny WTF would you make a move like that after it seemed you were all in as you said with moving the two #1s!!!!!!

That sent the wrong message to the team i think that management doesn't believe in you.

Terrible move it is why i would maybe just hit the reset button hire a new GM and let him find a new coach for them.

This team has to much talent still to NOT make the playoffs.

I agree with all of this.    I was willing to give a slight pass on the Stastny trade only because I don't like the guy.  I think he has loser stench.   I'm wondering if something was going on in the locker room that said to Armstrong, "move him; do it now."   That's the only thing I can figure.  In the absence of that, yeah it was really peculiar especially because of the message it sent to the team.   If there was something going on, then maybe it just said Armstrong didn't believe in Statsny.  But from afar, this was really a head-scratcher for me.

Agree with everything you said, but that's just the one possible caveat for me.   But as a body of work, I'd move on from Armstrong and Yeo.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd move on from Armstrong and Yeo.

I just think right now would be the perfect time for a clean break from both. Get the GM and let him pick his new coach.

There is some great talent on this club that isn't to far from winning and the window is open now. First things first is they need to their goalie!!!!! It ain't Allen.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/

Here is a list of free agent goalies and i don't like any so this would mean the new GM would have to swing a trade for his guy...the draft would be a great start form this.

I think bringing Hutton back for the backup spot couldn't hurt but they need a new starter!!!!

Archived