Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
DaGreatGazoo

Just a thought-Coots

Recommended Posts

This is from an article on Philly.com today.  Reading these quotes I started to wonder if they see Laughton as a cheaper version of Coots.  Especially given the speed comment.  I'm not on the "Trade Coots" band wagon, but he's a valuable trade commodity if they go that route.  He's locked in at a reasonable salary for a new team.  Laughton then slots into 3C, at a MUCH lower salary(he's an RFA after this season.)  

 

Like I said, just a thought...and yes, I'm not into the rum.  Yet.  

 

At the time of his demotion, general manager Ron Hextall told Phantoms coach Scott Gordon he wanted Laughton to play more of a defensive role, whether as a penalty killer or trying to help shut down an opponent's top line.

Hextall wanted the 6-foot-1, 189-pound Laughton "to think defense first," Gordon said. "And as it turned out, the more efficient he became at playing defense, the better he was offensively. He was one of our go-to guys offensively."

 

"He's become a much more well-rounded player," Hextall said. "Scotty understands the role that suits him and his strengths. He's used his speed better. He's become a much more consistent player."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thought but I see Laughton on the 4th line.   I would rather see Couts at 3C and let Laugton take over the 4th line center duties.   Slide over PEB to the wing and let the kids in the A duke it out for that final spot.   Although, this assumes Hextall wont commit to the chosen son:   VDV.   We are already small down the middle and replacing Couts makes it even worse...

 

Plus, once they trade G and give Couts the C he wont be going anywhere :haha2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Interesting thought but I see Laughton on the 4th line.   I would rather see Couts at 3C and let Laugton take over the 4th line center duties.   Slide over PEB to the wing and let the kids in the A duke it out for that final spot.   Although, this assumes Hextall wont commit to the chosen son:   VDV.   We are already small down the middle and replacing Couts makes it even worse...

 

Plus, once they trade G and give Couts the C he wont be going anywhere :haha2:

 

Good point about the team size at Center. Didn't even think about that.  I was thinking if they slid him to 3C, they could have PEB and 2 kids on the 4th line.  But your idea works!  Anything to NOT have VDV on the roster next year.  

Based on what Hexy said, regarding kids getting a chance/looks--I would pray that VDV is moving on, to be replaced by someone from the farm.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I would pray that VDV is moving on, to be replaced by someone from the farm.  

 

If Hextall resigns VDV there is going to be an all out crisis among Flyers fans!! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

 

If Hextall resigns VDV there is going to be an all out crisis among Flyers fans!! LOL!

I still say Hakstol's son, VDV will be offered a position in the front office.

 

Hextall, "We'd like to announce our new PP coach, Chris VandeHakstol"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

 

When Hextall resigns VDV there is going to be an all out crisis among Flyers fans!! LOL!

 

Fixed it for you.

 

:cheers:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I still say Hakstol's son, VDV will be offered a position in the front office.

 

Hextall, "We'd like to announce our new PP coach, Chris VandeHakstol"

 

it is a shame he is an American b/c I can see Hak and Hextall bringing him into the Team Canada fold...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

This is from an article on Philly.com today.  Reading these quotes I started to wonder if they see Laughton as a cheaper version of Coots.  Especially given the speed comment.  I'm not on the "Trade Coots" band wagon, but he's a valuable trade commodity if they go that route.  He's locked in at a reasonable salary for a new team.  Laughton then slots into 3C, at a MUCH lower salary(he's an RFA after this season.)  

 

Like I said, just a thought...and yes, I'm not into the rum.  Yet.  

 

At the time of his demotion, general manager Ron Hextall told Phantoms coach Scott Gordon he wanted Laughton to play more of a defensive role, whether as a penalty killer or trying to help shut down an opponent's top line.

Hextall wanted the 6-foot-1, 189-pound Laughton "to think defense first," Gordon said. "And as it turned out, the more efficient he became at playing defense, the better he was offensively. He was one of our go-to guys offensively."

 

"He's become a much more well-rounded player," Hextall said. "Scotty understands the role that suits him and his strengths. He's used his speed better. He's become a much more consistent player."

 

I think that's certainly possible.  

I'm guessing it's far more likely Hextall (and Hakstol) just want a viable option at at shutdown 3C so Coots doesn't have to keep starting in his own zone and playing the PK all the time.

 

They've been trying for two years to figure out how to let Coots play like a forward and failing. (Frankly Berube never tried much IMHO, he was just happy to have a shut down guy).  But No matter who they put him with, the demands they put on Coots' game just end up dragging those folks down as well.  People here kept complaining that he's not a 2C, he's just a natural 3C to which I would say, YES.  when he is continually taking shifts against the opositions best lines and is continually on the PK and continually taking D zone faceoffs... yes.  He is a shutdown 3C.  But it's not like it's some congentical glitch in his physiology.  He's being put in that role.  Clearly they'd like him to be their 2C (because they kept trying for two years) so the next solution would seem to be to find a viable alternate shut down 3C. 

 

Filppula is under contract for this season.  He was good.  I liked his game.  Does he come back?  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how Laughton is on faceoffs?  

 

Has he developed a physical edge to his game?

 

Like Couturier, I wish Laughton was more assertive and would play with more grit, which, IIRC, Laughton was reputed for having coming into the draft.  They do not need another meek, bottom six player who plays "smart" hockey but devoid of any toughness.  Tired of seeing guys peel off checks and avoid contact.  Fourth lines have been great in these POs, especially in the TO and WASH series.  Don't see the Flyers' fourth liners playing at that level at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vis said:

ike Couturier, I wish Laughton was more assertive and would play with more grit, which, IIRC, Laughton was reputed for having coming into the draft.

 

Laughton did try to play with an edge, then he got his bell rung and ass kicked by the thug Matt Niskanen. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

That "edge" to his game hasn't really returned since Niskanen beat him up.

I am of the mindset that he wasn't quite ready for the NHL from a maturity standpoint when he "made" the team.

I hope he's gained some maturity and confidence in his time with the phantoms, the kid can skate and has a good release to his shot, I thought he as going to be at least a serviceable NHL player from reading his scouting reports. I hope we didn't pull him out of the incubator too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Laughton did try to play with an edge, then he got his bell rung and ass kicked by the thug Matt Niskanen. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

 

And then Laughton thanked him for it.

 

I agree that Laughton should have spent more time in the AHL.  I don't recall the circumstances of his call up and why he remained on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vis said:

And then Laughton thanked him for it.

 

I agree that Laughton should have spent more time in the AHL.  I don't recall the circumstances of his call up and why he remained on the roster.

 

I don't know that more time in the AHL would have done much for him, but it couldn't have hurt.  

I'm not sure I see much of a future for the kid as far as playing with an edge goes.  He's been hurt an awful lot so far for a guy who has yet to play a full season in the NHL.

 

I'm sure the size and speed of the NHL game have a lot to do with that, but there's a certain degree of carrying/handling himself that's problematic for him.  The Clarkson hit that took him out so horribly last year was a bit of a bratty thing on Clarkson's part, but really Scotty should have been able to handle his own body better.  He got hurt because he had no balance and was utterly unprepared to hit the boards.    It wasn't a boarding, it was just an extra shove. It was late and Scott was trying to go around the man, so he was off balance, but that's an NHL hit. 

 

Is he going to learn to be prepared for that in the AHL?  Is he going to learn that the speed that got him around guys in the AHL and in Juniors isn't going to get him around guys in the NHL?   

 

at 6-1, he's at least not small... but he had a lot of growing up to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

 

I don't know that more time in the AHL would have done much for him, but it couldn't have hurt.  

Well, I'd say the fact that he was sent back after spending 1.5 seasons with the big club indicates that spending more time in the AHL at the start of his career probably would have helped him.

 

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not sure I see much of a future for the kid as far as playing with an edge goes.  He's been hurt an awful lot so far for a guy who has yet to play a full season in the NHL.

Agree.  I'm not sure it's in his demeanor at this level.

 

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

at 6-1, he's at least not small... but he had a lot of growing up to do.  

He's also listed at 190lbs which is on the light side.  He's not a big guy at all.  Kind of makes it hard for him to have a physical impact out there, particularly on bigger d-men.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vis said:

Well, I'd say the fact that he was sent back after spending 1.5 seasons with the big club indicates that spending more time in the AHL at the start of his career probably would have helped him.

 

Agree.  I'm not sure it's in his demeanor at this level.

 

He's also listed at 190lbs which is on the light side.  He's not a big guy at all.  Kind of makes it hard for him to have a physical impact out there, particularly on bigger d-men.

 

Yeah I think my thinking about more AHL time helping or not had more to do with the size and speed of the NHL being the problem that lead to his injuries.  

 

Maybe he learns how to deal with that better in the AHL.  Can't say 100% because the AHL just ain't the NHL either.  But it's certainly a step.

 

He's approximately the same size as Patrice Bergeron, so he could certainly play a decent shut down role even if he can't pull off the playing with an edge part of it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Samifan said:

I still say Hakstol's son, VDV will be offered a position in the front office.

 

Hextall, "We'd like to announce our new PP coach, Chris VandeHakstol"

 

 

I heard rumor he was replacing Mullen on the staff....

 

:VeryCool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, murraycraven said:

Interesting thought but I see Laughton on the 4th line.   I would rather see Couts at 3C and let Laugton take over the 4th line center duties.   Slide over PEB to the wing and let the kids in the A duke it out for that final spot.   Although, this assumes Hextall wont commit to the chosen son:   VDV.   We are already small down the middle and replacing Couts makes it even worse...

 

Plus, once they trade G and give Couts the C he wont be going anywhere :haha2:

Vecchy-Laughton-PEB 4th line........................... I like it!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philly29 said:

Vecchy-Laughton-PEB 4th line........................... I like it!!!

 

 

I like PEB - Vecchione- Foo!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

Edit: Just to temper expectations Foo is from Edmonton, Alberta.

 

So he could want to play with Mcdavid!

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Edit: Just to temper expectations Foo is from Edmonton, Alberta.

 

So he could want to play with Mcdavid!

 

I don't think there's a player entering the NHL right now who wouldn't want to play with McDavid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I def think the Flyers are and will be one of the main teams leading the way into the new age of signing college kids. Either through draft or when the college seasons are over or when the players are eligible the Flyers will be one of those teams that change how prospects are scouted and signed especially with college for the most part.

Edited by Philly29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, murraycraven said:

 

If Hextall resigns VDV there is going to be an all out crisis among Flyers fans!! LOL!

Jokes aside, I dont see any of our UFAs being re-signed, except for maybe Weal 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Jokes aside, I dont see any of our UFAs being re-signed, except for maybe Weal 

 

Fine by me. Need to give some of the kids a look anyways. Not much room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Jokes aside, I dont see any of our UFAs being re-signed, except for maybe Weal 

 

I'm hoping Weal gets resigned.

I'd probably go as far as to sign him and protect him over Raffl, but that's just me.

 

Hextall will probably protect what he's got and try to keep up with any offers coming to Weal.  

 

I'm really really really hoping Hextall made an under the table deal with McPhee that explains the Neuwirth signing, but if not I expect to see them draft Laughton or Cousins. Weise's end of the year push may get him a second look, but for the player he was you might as well get someone younger and faster.  

 

The bright side is that Hextall's arranged it so there really isn't much to lose to Vegas.  You lose a Cousins or Laughton, it's a bummer for the guy to have to leave maybe, but if it's Laughton, at least he probably gets a more solid NHL job and if it's Cousins, I think the team can withstand that kind of a loss without falling apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 6:53 PM, elmatus said:

 

I don't think there's a player entering the NHL right now who wouldn't want to play with McDavid.

 

I have this evil streak in me that desperately hopes that somehow Hextall will force a trade that sends Manning to Edmonton.

 

Like maybe he HAS to trade one of the kids for roster reasons at the deadline.  SO he sends him to Edmonton but makes Manning necessarily part of the deal.

 

Would never happen... but there's just a part of me that wishes it could.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

 

I have this evil streak in me that desperately hopes that somehow Hextall will force a trade that sends Manning to Edmonton.

 

Like maybe he HAS to trade one of the kids for roster reasons at the deadline.  SO he sends him to Edmonton but makes Manning necessarily part of the deal.

 

Would never happen... but there's just a part of me that wishes it could.

 

No, no, no. I can't believe Calgary hasn't offered Hextall Gaudreau for Manning straight up yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

 

No, no, no. I can't believe Calgary hasn't offered Hextall Gaudreau for Manning straight up yet.

Better yet, maybe they'll do Giroux or Voracek + for Gaudreau.:thumbsu:

Edited by FD19372

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      I still say Hakstol's son, VDV will be offered a position in the front office.   Hextall, "We'd like to announce our new PP coach, Chris VandeHakstol"
    • 1
      Post
      Good point about the team size at Center. Didn't even think about that.  I was thinking if they slid him to 3C, they could have PEB and 2 kids on the 4th line.  But your idea works!  Anything to NOT have VDV on the roster next year.   Based on what Hexy said, regarding kids getting a chance/looks--I would pray that VDV is moving on, to be replaced by someone from the farm.  
    • 1
      Post
      Fixed it for you.  
    • 1
      Post
      it is a shame he is an American b/c I can see Hak and Hextall bringing him into the Team Canada fold...
    • 1
      Post
      Well, I'd say the fact that he was sent back after spending 1.5 seasons with the big club indicates that spending more time in the AHL at the start of his career probably would have helped him.   Agree.  I'm not sure it's in his demeanor at this level.   He's also listed at 190lbs which is on the light side.  He's not a big guy at all.  Kind of makes it hard for him to have a physical impact out there, particularly on bigger d-men.
    • 1
      Post
      Vecchy-Laughton-PEB 4th line........................... I like it!!!

Game Room 1

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...