Wow! Sabres fire Murray and Bylsma

Buffalo Rick

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/sabres-fire-murray-bylsma/

With one fell swoop both are gone and one has to suspect the recent developrements surrounding Jack Eichel had plenty to do with it?  I wonder now who the GM will be?  Could Lindy Ruff get the coaching job before the new GM is hired?

It isn't such a shock to me. Bylsma really isn't a great coach. He had a good record when coaching a team with two of the best players in the world. Take him away from that, and you're bound to have a let down imo. Sabres are better off without him I think.

I know I'm beating my own dead horse here, but they never should have fired Nolan. If this has anything to do with Eichel's rumored ultimatum, I'm not sure I see the Sabres going anywhere in the near future. I am surprised at the firing of Murray. He had the team trending in the right direction IMO, even if the season was disappointing.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm can't think of one reason why bringing back Ruff is a good idea.  He hasn't won anything anywhere.

The dude played Taylor Hall on the 3rd line for the duration of the 2013 World Championships, fresh off a 9th place finish in NHL scoring, and then said he'd hoped for more offense from him.

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm can't think of one reason why bringing back Ruff is a good idea.  He hasn't won anything anywhere.

It's posts like this where I wish I could like it more than once!

Bringing back Ruff would be very buffaloesque. Party like it's 1999!!!

39 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I know I'm beating my own dead horse here, but they never should have fired Nolan. If this has anything to do with Eichel's rumored ultimatum, I'm not sure I see the Sabres going anywhere in the near future. I am surprised at the firing of Murray. He had the team trending in the right direction IMO, even if the season was disappointing.

Agree to a degree on Nolan, but Ruff kept the job as long as he did for a reason.  He was damn good regardless of what you all say.  Now I am surprised that Murray was fired so quickly.  And it sure smells like Eichel had something to do with it. I was never a fan.  I cant stand his uncle and when I heard he was our new GM i could not believe it.  Lindy and Murray Sr almost brawled during one playoff game.  

So moving forward I believe Rick Dudley is the best choice for a GM.  Or the former Kings guy.  If Ruff returns, no complaints from me at all.

26 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ole marble mouth?

Ole marble mouth or not, Sutter's track record and Cup wins speak for themselves. If Buffalo isn't on the phone with Sutter and Lombardi as we speak, the Sabre organization isn't doing their job well. Then get Ryan Miller back, and they have a decent shot at the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Ole marble mouth or not, Sutter's track record and Cup wins speak for themselves. If Buffalo isn't on the phone with Sutter and Lombardi as we speak, the Sabre organization isn't doing their job well. Then get Ryan Miller back, and they have a decent shot at the playoffs. 

Yes, agreed, at the VERY LEAST the Sabres would not be doing due diligence if not talking to Lombardi and Sutter. If I'm the Buffalo owner, I give them a blank cheque and let them go to work.

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

What has Lindy Ruff EVER won??

Coach of the year awards. Took Sabres to Stanley Cup finals, and 4 Eastern Conference finals.  1-1 vs your Flyers in series.  Remember the one we won 4-0?  I do.  Grosek scored the one that sent you packing.  And he held the job longer than any coach that is still breathing to my knowledge.  Quite a run. Heh can coach them until I die.  He is a great coach.  So even though he has not yet won the Cup, he can still get that done. Only bad luck in 06 of losing 4 starting defensemen to injury did us in in game 7 vs a Carolina team that was lucky as hell to have won. And only due to injury.  WE had to play game 7 with 4 Rochester Amerks on defense.  And then there is 99.  He did not have the horses yet he almost pulled it off.  I am for getting Dudley here and letting him decide

12 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Wow, a guy that agrees with me on Ryan Miller.  Wow.  

Pegula has ZERO clue on how to run a professional sports franchise. Sabres and Bills have both been a mess since he purchased them. Two steps forward, three steps back. Lather, Rinse, Repeat

22 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Why was Ted fired the second time? 

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

Why was Ted fired the second time? 

Best I could tell was he tried to win, and was successful when they were trying desperately to tank. It isn't like he had talent, they dumped anyone they had that could skate with the puck.

18 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Dean Lombardi's new gig?

Perhaps bringing Sutter with him?

I read an article a few days ago, and the gist of it was that Lombardi wanted to fire Sutter a couple of years ago, but was held up by a handshake promise he'd made to Sutter when he hired him. Sutter wouldn't comment on that, and I obviously don't know if it's true.

Well does anyone know the tampering rules in hockey?  In football I do not believe you can talk to anyone still playing?  So lets say they wanted to interview the assistant coach of the Blues?  I would assume the Blackhawks since they are done could be approached?

I have no idea why I am surprised by this, Murray yes, he traded a number one for Lehner, overpaid for Okposo and Moulson, He traded for Kulikov who was horrible. That is offset by the Kane trade a multiplayer deal in which Buffalo appears to have gotten the best player, traded for Ryan Oreilly for a couple of busts. He also has drafted well with players such as Eichel, Ristolainen and Reinhart but overall his draft record is a mixed bag. I could see making a change at the top.

I must be the only one in here who likes Bylsma I sincerely thought he would be the one leading Buffalo out of the doldrums and I could easily see a case for giving him another year but when you are looking at bringing in a new GM you are likely to get a better GM if he can name his own coach. Lombardi/Sutter may wind up landing here, or Lombardi/Stevens or some such.

Overall I would say that Bylsma did as well as could be expected while throwing guys like Bogo and Fransen, Kulikov and Gorges and the wrong Justin Falk on a nightly basis, Lehner as the primary goalie, stiffs like Moulson, Ennis, Gionta and the wrong Foligno as well. Frankly half the team are just bodies and career AHLers such as Derek Grant, Deslauriers, Cal O'Reilly and more were too abundant.

Not enough real NHLers doomed Bylsma but that is more the fault of Murray than Bylsma and IMHO Scotty Bowman could not have won with that team. Bylsma did as well as he could have.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well does anyone know the tampering rules in hockey?  In football I do not believe you can talk to anyone still playing?  So lets say they wanted to interview the assistant coach of the Blues?  I would assume the Blackhawks since they are done could be approached?

In the NHL, you're not even allowed to talk ABOUT people under contract, let alone talk TO them.

Archived