Wow! Sabres fire Murray and Bylsma

Buffalo Rick

On 4/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, jammer2 said:

Yes, agreed, at the VERY LEAST the Sabres would not be doing due diligence if not talking to Lombardi and Sutter. If I'm the Buffalo owner, I give them a blank cheque and let them go to work.

I agree there should be some talking going on about it. That said, I'm not so convinced Lombardi and Sutter would be the way to go. The mould they used to get some success and consistency in LA is one that seems to be fading from the NHL generally. The question remains whether Lombardi is the guy to build a team for this newer NHL that relies more on speed and skill than size and hits. Question two is whether Sutter is the guy to coach a team of that type. 

They're clearly very knowledgeable and experienced, so it may very well be they can change their ways on this stuff, but it isn't a slam dunk either. In many ways, Sutter and Lombardi are the remnants of the old guard. I do think they definitely should be part of the convo though. That would make sense.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I agree there should be some talking going on about it. That said, I'm not so convinced Lombardi and Sutter would be the way to go. The mould they used to get some success and consistency in LA is one that seems to be fading from the NHL generally. The question remains whether Lombardi is the guy to build a team for this newer NHL that relies more on speed and skill than size and hits. Question two is whether Sutter is the guy to coach a team of that type. 

They're clearly very knowledgeable and experienced, so it may very well be they can change their ways on this stuff, but it isn't a slam dunk either. In many ways, Sutter and Lombardi are the remnants of the old guard. I do think they definitely should be part of the convo though. That would make sense.

Some good points there. Sutter and Lombardi would have to prove they can change with the times....the part I would like is knowing he can evaluate guys correctly, hire the right scouts and in general, rip other teams off. My top pick for GM right now would be Hunter. He's the head scout for the Leafs right now and that guy could build the hell out of a team. I'm thinking the plan is to put Lou out to pasture in a year or so and let Hunter assume the GM role in Toronto...if they don't do this they are dummies.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I have no idea why I am surprised by this, Murray yes, he traded a number one for Lehner, overpaid for Okposo and Moulson, He traded for Kulikov who was horrible. That is offset by the Kane trade a multiplayer deal in which Buffalo appears to have gotten the best player, traded for Ryan Oreilly for a couple of busts. He also has drafted well with players such as Eichel, Ristolainen and Reinhart but overall his draft record is a mixed bag. I could see making a change at the top.

I must be the only one in here who likes Bylsma I sincerely thought he would be the one leading Buffalo out of the doldrums and I could easily see a case for giving him another year but when you are looking at bringing in a new GM you are likely to get a better GM if he can name his own coach. Lombardi/Sutter may wind up landing here, or Lombardi/Stevens or some such.

Overall I would say that Bylsma did as well as could be expected while throwing guys like Bogo and Fransen, Kulikov and Gorges and the wrong Justin Falk on a nightly basis, Lehner as the primary goalie, stiffs like Moulson, Ennis, Gionta and the wrong Foligno as well. Frankly half the team are just bodies and career AHLers such as Derek Grant, Deslauriers, Cal O'Reilly and more were too abundant.

Not enough real NHLers doomed Bylsma but that is more the fault of Murray than Bylsma and IMHO Scotty Bowman could not have won with that team. Bylsma did as well as he could have.

I have to disagree about Bylsma. I just think he's a horrible coach. I actually was trying to come up with stronger language than "horrible." 

Pittsburgh won despite him, not because of him.  And the several years in a row that it came apart for them, I thought he did a lousy job with moderating emotions, etc. 

And his Xs & Os were goofy for the personnel he had. I'm willing to theorize that they don't win the cup last year if he's still behind the bench. 

Buffalo clearly isn't there yet, but I think they have a better season with a more capable coach. I understand that Eichel was out for 21 games, but I don't think Dapper Dan got enough out of Reinhart, in particular, or some others (I don't think O'Reilly was as good as he could be). 

So, I'm okay with Dan going. I think that's a ridiculously quick trigger on Murray. 

I don't think Pagula has any idea what he's doing. 

33 minutes ago, hf101 said:

He doesn't. Eichel runs the organization.  :bigteeth:

I was accused of being on crack for mentioning Lindy coming back.  But they agreed on Dudley.  They did not agree on Miller, well one guy that has his head up his arse.  Lehner sucks.  Miller is ten times better

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I was accused of being on crack for mentioning Lindy coming back.  But they agreed on Dudley.  They did not agree on Miller, well one guy that has his head up his arse.  Lehner sucks.  Miller is ten times better

I actually think Miller would be an upgrade from what you have in Buffalo. At the very least, a tandem and mentor for one of the kids. 

He'd be an upgrade in Philly, too. 

I don't think he's willing to come east because of his wife, though. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually think Miller would be an upgrade from what you have in Buffalo. At the very least, a tandem and mentor for one of the kids. 

He'd be an upgrade in Philly, too. 

I don't think he's willing to come east because of his wife, though. 

Ah yes, the titty mama that is ruining my life

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ah yes, the titty mama that is ruining my life

So, assuming east isn't possible for that reason, where do you see him going? Is Colorado a possibility? I don't think that's ideal for him. Maybe just stays in Vancouver, which isn't much better for him. 

I don't know. I'm really asking. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

So, assuming east isn't possible for that reason, where do you see him going? Is Colorado a possibility? I don't think that's ideal for him. Maybe just stays in Vancouver, which isn't much better for him. 

I don't know. I'm really asking. 

I have a friend in Vancouver that insists he will not be back.  They are going to rebuild.  About time. I  think he would come to Buffalo over Colorado.  California?  Who needs him?  Not the Kings.  Not the Ducks. And likely no way does he play backup to Jones.   If he wants to continue to play its Buffalo or Detroit.

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I have a friend in Vancouver that insists he will not be back.  They are going to rebuild.  About time. I  think he would come to Buffalo over Colorado.  California?  Who needs him?  Not the Kings.  Not the Ducks. And likely no way does he play backup to Jones.   If he wants to continue to play its Buffalo or Detroit.

I think Colorado over Buffalo only because it's West. Hockey wise, Buffalo is a much better situation (moronic owner aside). 

If his wife extends the leash, Buffalo could be attractive to him for multiple reasons. A team rising rather than falling apart, the chance to start and to mentor, and of course, he's been there before. 

Geography out of the equation, probably the best fit. 

Detroit is a thought. They have to move some folks before that happens, but it's probably not out of the question. 

I agree that the California teams aren't going to happen. I wonder if Dallas, but they also have to move out some pieces. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think Colorado over Buffalo only because it's West. Hockey wise, Buffalo is a much better situation (moronic owner aside). 

If his wife extends the leash, Buffalo could be attractive to him for multiple reasons. A team rising rather than falling apart, the chance to start and to mentor, and of course, he's been there before. 

Detroit is a thought. They have to move some folks before that happens, but it's probably not out of the question. 

I agree that the California teams aren't going to happen. I wonder if Dallas, but they also have to move out some pieces. 

Born and raised a Red Wings fan and mommy lives there.  But Buffalo is where the heart is

On 4/21/2017 at 1:02 PM, yave1964 said:

Overall I would say that Bylsma did as well as could be expected while throwing guys like Bogo and Fransen, Kulikov and Gorges and the wrong Justin Falk on a nightly basis, Lehner as the primary goalie, stiffs like Moulson, Ennis, Gionta and the wrong Foligno as well. Frankly half the team are just bodies and career AHLers such as Derek Grant, Deslauriers, Cal O'Reilly and more were too abundant.

Good Lord, some very iffy players there on that roster. Like you said, Kulikov has been a hot mess in Buffalo, basically, Florida ripped them off.  Moulson is a soft streaky player who I would not want in my top 6, or my bottom 6 for that matter. Let's face it, Gionta should have been done years ago, he has really declined. Ennis is 3rd line depth and 2nd pp fodder, Bogo is crap also, would not want him, plus injury prone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, ruxpin said:

Calgary?

Archived