Is it Nilsson time in the Sabres nets?

jammer2

An odd case, Anders Nilsson. He's a tad old to be considered a prospect, he's 27 right now....BUT...he played 4 full years in Europe, then spent 3+ years  in the AHL before getting the NHL call up. So, something of a special case, significant time over seas and had to pay his dues to get noticed in the AHL. 2 of those AHL years he had a save percentage of over .930...impressive. Even more impressive, he played in 26 games and had a SV% of ,923....are you kidding me, that kinda stat with THIS defense??   Just as impressive, he was 10-10-2....on this sad sack team. This guy could be really good. I'd let him take the reigns this year, see what you really have. He's a lot better than Rehner.

Career stats...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120937

The other thing to really like is his size. He's 6'5 and 239 lbs...that's a big boy. You gotta see what you have IMHO.

47 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

An odd case, Anders Nilsson. He's a tad old to be considered a prospect, he's 27 right now....BUT...he played 4 full years in Europe, then spent 3+ years  in the AHL before getting the NHL call up. So, something of a special case, significant time over seas and had to pay his dues to get noticed in the AHL. 2 of those AHL years he had a save percentage of over .930...impressive. Even more impressive, he played in 26 games and had a SV% of ,923....are you kidding me, that kinda stat with THIS defense??   Just as impressive, he was 10-10-2....on this sad sack team. This guy could be really good. I'd let him take the reigns this year, see what you really have. He's a lot better than Rehner.

Career stats...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120937

The other thing to really like is his size. He's 6'5 and 239 lbs...that's a big boy. You gotta see what you have IMHO.

I have seen him play and he is no Ryan Miller.  Give me Miller back.  Keep him as the backup maybe.  But first, we need a coach and GM to made such a decision.  Ristolainen is the best defsenseman and McCabe is not bad.  Outside of that it was pretty much AHL level guys filling in.  The top two lines are good.  They did take steps forward and improved drastically when Eichel returned from the 21 day injury.  They are not the worst team in the NHL on paper. I am waiting to see who they chose.  I am not a Nilsson fan but you could prove me wrong like I proved all of you wrong with the St Louis Blues

5 hours ago, intheslot said:

Mason would be a good fit ... there ..

The Sabres would be crazy to sign a guy like Mason. All he would do is take you from the #1 pick to the #6 pick. Their window does not open for quite a while, a few first overalls would not kill this franchise. I would cheap out in net. Go with Nilsson and a cheap 2nd option, get rid of Lehner, not a big fan.

58 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The Sabres would be crazy to sign a guy like Mason. All he would do is take you from the #1 pick to the #6 pick. Their window does not open for quite a while, a few first overalls would not kill this franchise. I would cheap out in net. Go with Nilsson and a cheap 2nd option, get rid of Lehner, not a big fan.

Agreed. Especially about Lehner. Haven't liked him out of the gate. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed. Especially about Lehner. Haven't liked him out of the gate. 

It's real early to be talking about the 2018 draft, but Lehner just may be the secret weapon to secure one of these 4 Defensemen, who are the early favourites to go 1-4. I'm sure that will change, but I saw Dahlin at the world jrs and the young 16 year old did not look out of place and was silky smooth, that kid has star written all over him. Also really like Bouchard from the London Knights, awesome prospect, the other 2 must be wicked to be listed ahead of Dahlin and Bouchard...

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/2018/18_prospects.html

edit....looks like a Barrie Colt is ranked high for 2018,@ flyercancuk  scouting report on Krili?

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/2018/18_nizhnikov_k.html

On 4/23/2017 at 6:45 PM, jammer2 said:

Agree with get rid of Nillson.  And go after Miller is the part you left out.  I hear he is not going to return to Vancouver? if not, he needs to come home.

35 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Agree with get rid of Nillson.  And go after Miller is the part you left out.  I hear he is not going to return to Vancouver? if not, he needs to come home.

I agree. Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but bring back Miller. 

What do you think of the idea of bringing back Ruff as well?

Oh, and Danny Gare. You guys could use some help at RW.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wow what I great idea. Can't believe no one else has ever mentioned Miller returning to Buffalo. Why is this the first time I am reading about this? :VeryCool:

22 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Wow what I great idea. Can't believe no one else has ever mentioned Miller returning to Buffalo. Why is this the first time I am reading about this? :VeryCool:

I know....crazy isn't it? 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

And don't forget Pat Lafontaine either he said his head feels better he's ready to go!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And don't forget Pat Lafontaine either he said his head feels better he's ready to go!!!

You know what would fix the defense in Buffalo?  A big dose of Jerry Korab, Lee Fogolin and Jim Schoenfeld!!

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Are you kidding me??

MILLER isn't even as good as Miller USED to be...... ;)

He was great this year during a stretch and had no help in front of him.  I can tell you Lehner did not win one single shootout.  I watched him get deaked out of his own uniform on a breakaway that Miller would have stopped 9 out of 10 times and his form was so off, I saw enough to know that his technique is off and he does not have the skill that Miller has.  Say anything you want.  Miller is a great goalie.  

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Do you guys actually believe Lehner is as good as Miller?  Or even close?  

Miller just put up a 2.80 GAA, the third year in a row that stat has got worse. I will give him this, he had a horrible Vancouver team in front of him, but let's be real here, Miller is 36, (actually turns 37 in July, before the season starts) his stats will probably get worse again this year, no matter who he plays for. I don't like Lehner, he sucks, but will still probably put up better numbers than Miller would at this point of his career.

40 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He was great this year during a stretch and had no help in front of him.  I can tell you Lehner did not win one single shootout.  I watched him get deaked out of his own uniform on a breakaway that Miller would have stopped 9 out of 10 times and his form was so off, I saw enough to know that his technique is off and he does not have the skill that Miller has.  Say anything you want.  Miller is a great goalie.  

Just out of total curiosity....

A)would you chop off your penis in return for a Sabres Stanley Cup victory?

B)would it make any difference if Miller became the first goalie to post 4 consecutive shutouts in the Finals?

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Miller just put up a 2.80 GAA, the third year in a row that stat has got worse. I will give him this, he had a horrible Vancouver team in front of him, but let's be real here, Miller is 36, (actually turns 37 in July, before the season starts) his stats will probably get worse again this year, no matter who he plays for. I don't like Lehner, he sucks, but will still probably put up better numbers than Miller would at this point of his career.

36 is not that old for a goalie.  And he played out of his mind for Vancouver back in January and Feb and the team did nothing to help.   Buffalo is going in a better direction than Vancouver presently as the Canucks will have no choice but to rebuild and likely end the Sedin's run there?  Miller, if he comes back to Buffalo, I tell you we would be in far better shape with him in goal than Lehner.  I do not know if its possible?  I do not even know who the coach or GM are let alone what they plan for the goalie.  If Ruff were to be hired, I would think Miller would consider returning?  I also believe Detroit is a place he could land.  I hope not. 

Nilsson sucks, i mean really really sucks as in he makes Lehner look like George Vezina sucks. Sucks of biblical proportions. Just an awful goalie who will be in Europe within a year or two still rotten and forgotten.

Lehner is bad but not that bad, he could pull a Talbot if the Sabres add a piece or two in front of him and have a decent season.

Ryan Miller... Is he still in the league? I thought he moved out West to become someones wife or something, never to be heard from again. His most famous game was losing to canada in the Olympics.

20 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just out of total curiosity....

A)would you chop off your penis in return for a Sabres Stanley Cup victory?

B)would it make any difference if Miller became the first goalie to post 4 consecutive shutouts in the Finals?

He prematurely decapitated in 1999 and then that damn Hull put his foot in the crease. 

Self-bobbit for nothing! 

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Nilsson sucks, i mean really really sucks as in he makes Lehner look like George Vezina sucks. Sucks of biblical proportions. Just an awful goalie who will be in Europe within a year or two still rotten and forgotten.

Lehner is bad but not that bad, he could pull a Talbot if the Sabres add a piece or two in front of him and have a decent season.

Ryan Miller... Is he still in the league? I thought he moved out West to become someones wife or something, never to be heard from again. His most famous game was losing to canada in the Olympics.

Saved it up, did ya? 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He prematurely decapitated in 1999 and then that damn Hull put his foot in the crease. 

Self-bobbit for nothing! 

HA....rux, self-bobbit is HILARIOUS!!! Did you just think that up, cause it's a virtuoso of a line.

Archived