• Ducks sweep 4-0
    • Ducks in 5
    • Ducks in 6
    • Ducks in 7
    • Oilers sweep 4-0
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

All discussion regarding this series should go here.

Schedule:

Anaheim Ducks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Wednesday, April 26, 10:30pm: Oilers @ Ducks | NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Friday, April 28, 10:30pm: Oilers @ Ducks | NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Sunday, April 30, 7pm: Ducks @ Oilers | NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Wednesday, May 3, 10pm: Ducks @ Oilers | NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

*Friday, May 5, TBD: Oilers @ Ducks | TBD

*Sunday, May 7, TBD: Ducks @ Oilers | TBD

*Wednesday, May 10, TBD: Oilers @ Ducks | TBD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't pick Edmonton last round against San Jose due to the idea that I thought the Sharks were the more experienced team with something still to prove and that they would take care of the Oilers en route to doing that.

I know the Oilers deserve to be here and that they have the talent to keep on winning, yet I put San Jose ahead of them.

I was wrong.

But guess what? I'm afraid I will have to do the same thing here.

Ducks in 6.

Anaheim has (cue the redundancy music... ;) ) the experience edge, have been at the precipice of greatness for awhile, and look like they finally have the formula right for a Western Conference run.

To be honest, I HOPE Edmonton proves me wrong again, because now that the Wild are out, I can openly admit I was hoping to see a Minnesota-Edmonton Western Finals. The idea being, of course, that if my Minnesota team couldn't make it to the SC Finals, then I'd like to see the Oilers do it....win it....and thus make true my prognostication that the Oilers would be the next Canadian based franchise to win the Stanley Cup. :VeryCool:

But I digress.....

Realistically, I think the Ducks have what it takes to get it done in this series and they look quite good to compete in the West Finals against whomever comes out of the Blues-Preds series.

Go ahead Edmonton...prove me wrong again. I don't mind really.

The Oil DO have a bit better firepower than the Flames did and the Edm goaltending seems much more consistent than what Calgary had in Brian Elliot, save for his very hot streak down the stretch.

So Edmonton does have a chance here, yea.

But if I were a gambling woman (which I am not, despite any rumors to the contrary :lipsaresealed: ), I'd put my money on the Ducks to win this in six hotly contested games.

Ehh, I'll go for the underdogs, Oilers in 7. No particular reason to be honest, I haven't watched any ducks games and barely any Oilers games so I don't have a baseline to make a decision. I kinda flipped a coin in my head.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I'll say Ducks in 7. I think the Ducks physical style of play will wear the Oilers down, plus I think the Oilers are a year away from getting to the finals. 

I agree totally and will pick the Ducks in 6

I picked the Oilers in 5.

I think they're younger and faster and will outskate the old forwards on the Ducks. 

Also, Gibson hasn't been injured in a couple weeks. He's due. 

Ducks in 6.  Oilers may have surprised the Sharks....they will not surprise the Ducks.  Oilers will be a dangerous team for years to come, but the Ducks, as has been mentioned before, have been here before.  Don't worry Oiler fans...your time is coming.

Really looking forward to this series.  Heart wants Edmonton, but head says Anaheim.  Best case for EDM is for a slow start by Anaheim after dispatching Calgary quickly and for Fowler and Virtanen to remain out for the entire series.  Matchups will be interesting.  EDM is going to have to get some offense from second and third tier guys like RNH and Eberle.  

46 minutes ago, vis said:

Really looking forward to this series.  Heart wants Edmonton, but head says Anaheim.  Best case for EDM is for a slow start by Anaheim after dispatching Calgary quickly and for Fowler and Virtanen to remain out for the entire series.  Matchups will be interesting.  EDM is going to have to get some offense from second and third tier guys like RNH and Eberle.  

I really have no idea how to expect this to turn out, but my gut says Anaheim at the end of the day. Anaheim doesn't have the same quality on their top pair, but does have better depth than San Jose, so they're probably not forced to hard-match the way that the Sharks felt they needed to try.

McDavid dealt with Kesler's coverage better and better as the year went on in their matchups. He was held pointless in their first two games, but then he had 1, 3 and 3 points head-to-head against Kesler, and dominated him to the extent that the Ducks pulled Kesler away from that match-up and instead opted for the Getzlaf line, which he also ouplayed.

But! But... There is a different standard of officiating in the playoffs, and McDavid went from drawing more penalties than anybody else in the league to absolutely none, and my fear is that if this continues, Kesler will stoop to new lows, because he simply can't keep up. This isn't a complaint about officiating, btw. The playoffs are a different breed of hockey than the regular season, and it behooves players to find different ways to succeed. McDavid has dealt with this all his life, so I think he continue to learn and make adjustments.

All that we can do is wait and see what happens, but one thing is very good for the Oilers: they played that San Jose series with the flu ripping through their dressing room, and seem to have come out on the other side. In Game 6, Oscar Klefbom played (excellently, mind you) with a high fever, before being shut down and left on the bench for the 3rd period.

Good health can only be a positive item.

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I really have no idea how to expect this to turn out, but my gut says Anaheim at the end of the day. Anaheim doesn't have the same quality on their top pair, but does have better depth than San Jose, so they're probably not forced to hard-match the way that the Sharks felt they needed to try.

Yeah, but Carlyle is a guy who loves to match.  I think he's going to be pretty married to his match ups.  Like I said, if Fowler and Vitanen are out, should be good for Oilers.

McDavid dealt with Kesler's coverage better and better as the year went on in their matchups. He was held pointless in their first two games, but then he had 1, 3 and 3 points head-to-head against Kesler, and dominated him to the extent that the Ducks pulled Kesler away from that match-up and instead opted for the Getzlaf line, which he also ouplayed.

But! But... There is a different standard of officiating in the playoffs, and McDavid went from drawing more penalties than anybody else in the league to absolutely none, and my fear is that if this continues, Kesler will stoop to new lows, because he simply can't keep up. This isn't a complaint about officiating, btw. The playoffs are a different breed of hockey than the regular season, and it behooves players to find different ways to succeed. McDavid has dealt with this all his life, so I think he continue to learn and make adjustments.

It will indeed be interesting.  They will put Kesler on McDavid, which means Getzlaf/Perry on RNH's line I suppose.  How does that work out for EDM?  I don't think that's a good matchup at all (on paper, anyway), which is why I think EDM will really need their forward depth to step up.

All that we can do is wait and see what happens, but one thing is very good for the Oilers: they played that San Jose series with the flu ripping through their dressing room, and seem to have come out on the other side. In Game 6, Oscar Klefbom played (excellently, mind you) with a high fever, before being shut down and left on the bench for the 3rd period.

Good health can only be a positive item.

Yeah, I was really surprised to hear that.  To be fair, SJ just announced that Thornton was playing with a torn MCL and ACL and Marleau had a broken thumb.

In any event, I'm absolutely rooting for EDM (as I was in the first round).  Watched them a lot this year and years past.

Edited to add that Hertl was also playing with a broken foot and Couture had an injured face.

59 minutes ago, vis said:

Couture had an injured face.

That makes it very hard to perform. 

My wife has had an injured face for years, and it makes it very hard for me to perform. 

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That makes it very hard to perform. 

My wife has had an injured face for years, and it makes it very hard for me to perform. 

Lol, always blaming someone else for your shortcomings.  

Reminds me me of the old joke:

Q: Does your face hurt?

A: No. Why?

Q:?Because it's killing me!

I guess it's my duty as a Kings fan to wish plague and pestilence on the Ducks, :) 

as well as to be no less than at least passive-aggressive toward the Oilers, :) 

but I'm thinking Edmonton can win if history's any indicator. 

The Ducks have consistently underachieved in the playoffs--I really thought they 

and the Rangers would meet in the 2015 Finals--and they've lost multiple game 7's 

at home. Will that factor into team psychology? I think it could. 

Another factor that could favor the Oilers and has me picking them = they just defeated--

*steadies self to prevent gagging*:hehe:--a seasoned and talented Sharks team. (It's true. 

The Sharks are good. They showed the Kings last playoffs they weren't necessarily the 

toughest team in the division anymore.) That's got the Oils thinking more so that they

can rumble with and take down anyone. 

I stayed up to watch the end of the Oilers-Ducks game last night. Absolutely great game, especially with all the back and forth scoring in the 3rd period. With the score tied late, I thought that we had another overtime game. But with about 4 minutes left, the Oilers Adam Larsson skated undeterred the length of the ice and skated around behind the goal and cleverly banked the puck off the Ducks Josh Manson's skate and it trickled into the goal even though he tried to stop it with his stick. The Duck's goalie, John Gibson, really wasn't expecting it either. Outstanding 3rd period. 

-The Oilers were beyond lucky when the Sabres lost the lottery, but also consider how fortunate Edmonton was when Buffalo went with Sam Reinhart instead of Leon Draisaitl the year before with the #2 pick. Development doesn't necessarily occur in a straight line, but his trajectory right now is so good, and a 4 point night in a game like that is huge.

-Ryan Kesler is a never-ending source of amusement. He turtled and wanted nothing to do with Kassian, and then immediately went after Andrej Sekera. He's really good at the game he plays.

-McDavid is clearly sick or banged-up or something, because he doesn't even remotely look like himself, and didn't have the same ability to move out there. My money is on the flu. Even then, his peripheral value is tremendous, as he drew 2 penalties which resulted in goals.

-I thought the Lindholm/Manson pairing was good for Anaheim... Really good, actually.

-Along the same lines, Klefbom/Larsson played well, with Adam Larsson especially turning in a good performance in his own end, as well as the two unexpected goals in the 3rd.

-That the Oilers were able to win despite not getting great games out of McDavid and Talbot is a good thing.

Wow.... did not see this coming.  Games are too late for me to stay up and watch on the east coast.  Ducks are now in a must win situation heading to Edmonton.  I tell you what...the Oilers will be in playoff hunt for years to come now.... this team will only get better.

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Wow.... did not see this coming.  Games are too late for me to stay up and watch on the east coast.  Ducks are now in a must win situation heading to Edmonton.  I tell you what...the Oilers will be in playoff hunt for years to come now.... this team will only get better.

Oily Duck2.jpg

@TropicalFruitGirl26

In reference to the hockey team "the Ducks" this is funny.....but in real life it breaks my heart.  My family and I love wildlife and love to visit zoos, aquariums, etcs.  I hate to see wildlife end up like this. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125211042@N07/albums/72157669004790173

Archived