HF.net Team Vegas Mock Draft

hf101

HF.net Mock Vegas Golden Knights Draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to Participate in choosing the Vegas Golden Knights Mock team?

In a similar manner to the HF.net Mock draft we thought it might be also fun to do a Vegas Draft for the Golden Knights.  Because there isn't a set draft order we will instead create a member draft order based upon the number of members here choosing to participate in a random fashion.

We will create the Golden Knights team based upon the requirements set by the NHL. Team Vegas will need – 14 forwards, 9 defencemen and 3 goaltenders from the players available to be drafted. Only one player from each NHL team can be included and we will follow the rules of the Expansion draft for the player availability including Free Agents.   From the 30 players that Las Vegas will select, 20 of them will have to be under contract for the 2017-18 season. The players selected will also have to have a combined value of between 60 to 100 percent of the previous season’s salary cap ceiling if possible.

Edit: After Team Protected Lists are announced, Sunday, June 18th 10:00 AM.  We should be able to select a Mock Vegas team choosing players to meet the draft requirements in a draft order by members of HF.net  in 3 days prior to Vegas selections 8:00 PM Wednesday, June 21.

:check:  Let's try to get this started Sunday evening after 6:00 PM.   The first selection will be to find a #1 center from all of the 30 teams available players, 2nd selection a #1 Goaltender, etc.  After a members pick in the topic, select the @member to notify the next selection.

Use of the TSN Vegas draft selection tool should help in the selection process.  

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

Please Sign up in the Poll if you would like to Participate so we can make a draft order.

• hf101 pinned this topic
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm game, but this will be doubly tough due to trying to figure out who teams are going to leave unprotected.

Agree, but we can use Capfriendly.com as a main source for info.

I think as a group we can start off with some commonly shared articles, best free agents, goalies, other mock drafts etc  that we can post in this thread. 

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

In what order do you want to pick from the teams? Alphabetically?  Would make the most sense. Start with Anaheim and end with Washington?

No particular team order, a process of elimination picking Ideally, best available players will be chosen first filling the requirements of 14 forwards, nine defencemen and three goaltenders.  

I think the group will have to research first for a bit sharing info.  Then we draft this over a couple of weeks.  I think the goal of the project will be how close our mock ends up to Vegas.

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

No particular team order, a process of elimination picking Ideally, best available players will be chosen first filling the requirements of 14 forwards, nine defencemen and three goaltenders.  

I think the group will have to research first for a bit sharing info.  Then we draft this over a couple of weeks.  I think the goal of the project will be how close our mock ends up to Vegas.

makes sense .....

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

as usual ...count me in ....

Give me Avs / Blues / Sabres since I just got done doing research on them ....

We can just go in alphabetical order ......

If Alphabetical order is easier, we can go that route

I've got some busy times ahead in the next few days and I don't want to

hold anything up. Unfortunately I will have to pass on this, most regrettably.

I can't wait to see how it turns out though!

We currently have 7 of us interested in picking a team for Vegas. We will begin sometime this evening after 6:00 PM finishing by June 21  8:00PM (3 days) before the Vegas team is announced at the NHL Awards Ceremony.

There is still room for anyone else to join in the draft selections, just let us know and we will add you to the draft list.

The team protected lists will be publicized at 10:00 AM.

See the first post for additional info.

I went to TSN and used their builder and this is what I came up with:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/user-pick?UserName=FLYRQFWD

Honestly, I was surprised with some of the names that were left available. Las Vegas has a chance at putting together a really good and competitive club. I'm also going to Vegas in November, so I'm hopeful to catch a game.

?? How are we going to keep track of the # of players UC-17 (under contract for 2017). We need a minimum of 20.  Also, how are we going to keep track of Salary Cap?  ($73,000,000)

@hf101 can you edit the table above to include if the player is under contract or not for 2017?

Maybe another table with a running total of the Salary Cap?  Not sure space wise if the the format will fit.

from @TropicalFruitGirl26

As per a request from @pilldoc , I am copy pasting what I believe are the best players available for the Knights from each of the 30 teams.

He feels some on this thread may find it interesting.

Again, keep in mind, these are just MY OWN opinions, and just based on players available and am in no way claiming these guys are elite players that will capture a Cup for the Knights in the next two or three years.

Here ya go guys, TFG's options for Vegas from each team's unprotected list:

Ducks--- Sami Vatenen (D), Josh Manson (D), Jonathan Bernier (G)
Coyotes-- Alex Burmistrov (F), Jared Tinordi (D)
Bruins-- Zac Rinaldo (hah! just kidding)... Drew Stafford (F), John Michael Liles (D), Adam McQuaid (D)

Sabres-- Zach Begosian (D), Justin Falk (D...no, not the Carolina one, the other J. Falk), Linus Ullmark (G)
Flames-- Troy Brouwer (F), Michael Kostka (D), Brian Elliot (G)
Hurricanes- Cam Ward (G), Lee Stempniak (F)

Blackhawks- Marcus Kruger (F), Trevor Van Riemsdyk (F), Johnny Oduya (D)
Avalanche- Calvin Pickard (G), Joe Colborne (F), Rene Bourque (F)
Blue Jackets- Sam Gagner (F), Jack Johnson (D), Kyle Quincy (D)

Stars-- Dan Hamhuis (D), Jiri Hudler (F), Cody Eakin (F)
Red Wings- Riley Sheahan (F), Jonathan Ericsson (D), Dylan McIlrath (D), Petr Mrazek (G)
Oilers-     Benoit Pouliot (F), Kris Russell (D), David Desharnais (F)

Panthers- Jonathan Marchassault (F), Jason Demers (D), Roberto Luongo (G)
Kings--   Dustin Brown (F), Kyle Clifford (F), Jeff Zatkoff (G)
Wild-- Marco Scandella (D), Matt Dumba (D), Eric Staal (F), Christian Folin (D)

Canadiens-  Al Montoya (G), Tomas Plekanec (F), Alex Radulov or Nikita Nesterov (F and D, respectively, AND if either is going to stay in North America...there are rumors both may head back to the KHL)
Predators-- James Neal (F), Craig Smith (F), Mike Fisher (F)
Devils-- Mike Cammalleri (F), Devante Smith-Pelley (F), Dalton Prout (D)

Islanders-  Brock Nelson (F), Cal Clutterbuck (F), Casey Cizikas (F), Calvin DeHaan (D), Ryan Strome (F)
Rangers-- Jesper Fast (F), Oscar Lindberg (F), Anttii Raanta (G)
Senators- Clarke MacArthur (F), Bobby Ryan (F), Marc Methot (D), Alex Burrows (F)

Flyers-  Michael Del Zotto (D), Matt Read (F), P.E. Bellemare (F)
Penguins- Nick Bonino (F), Carl Hagelin (F), Ian Cole (D), Marc Andre Fleury (G-possibly the class of the goalie selections), Bryan Rust (F)
Sharks-  Aaron Dell (G), David Schlemko (D), Joe Thornton (F), Joel Ward (F)

Blues-  Kyle Brodziak (F), David Perron (F), Robert Bortuzzo (D)
Lightning-- Yanni Gourde (F), Slater Koekkoek (D), Jake Dotchin (D..I HOPE he doesn't get taken...I like the way he plays!), JT Brown (F)
Maple Leafs- Brian Boyle (F), Roman Polak (D...yes, Cro-Magnon man would help a new team trying not to get pushed around), Brooks Laich (F)

Canucks-- Ryan Miller (G...oh gawd, HJ is gonna have a hockey-gasm!), Luca Sbisa (D), Drew Shore (F), Joseph Cramarossa (F)
Capitals--  Brett Connolly (F), TJ Oshie (F), Justin Williams (F), Karl Alzner (D), Kevin Shattenkirk (D..though I think he WON'T sign with the Knights as he is a UFA and I think wants to stay in the East).
Jets-- Ondrej Pavelec (G), Tobias Enstrom (D), Chris Thorburn (F).

It's going to be interesting seeing how our list compares to the final list. We're not privy to any deals to either not pick a player, or to pick a player and flip them. Going to be a nutty week until the draft is over, I think.

I went back and forth between a player here from Minnesota and a player from Florida. Eric Staal had a bit of a renaissance on the Wild, posting 28 goals and 65 points for his best totals since 2011-2012 for points, and the year prior for goals. He's won a Cup, and would bring a wealth of experience to the team. However, with the quality of defensemen available for picking off of Minny's roster, I elected to choose Jonathan Machessault from the Florida Panthers. Marchessault put up 30 goals this year, is 6 years younger than Staal, and is inexpensive, signed for one more year at $750,000. It is questionable whether Marchessault is a late bloomer, or if he just had an outlier season, but he will slot in nicely at the 2C behind Shipachiov. 

Vegas players under contract for next season (need 20): 1

Vegas Salary requirement (At least 45 million, not to exceed 75 million): $0.75 million.

@pilldoc, you are up to select a goalie.

56 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

from @TropicalFruitGirl26

As per a request from @pilldoc , I am copy pasting what I believe are the best players available for the Knights from each of the 30 teams.

He feels some on this thread may find it interesting.

Again, keep in mind, these are just MY OWN opinions, and just based on players available and am in no way claiming these guys are elite players that will capture a Cup for the Knights in the next two or three years.

Here ya go guys, TFG's options for Vegas from each team's unprotected list:

Ducks--- Sami Vatenen (D), Josh Manson (D), Jonathan Bernier (G)
Coyotes-- Alex Burmistrov (F), Jared Tinordi (D)
Bruins-- Zac Rinaldo (hah! just kidding)... Drew Stafford (F), John Michael Liles (D), Adam McQuaid (D)

Sabres-- Zach Begosian (D), Justin Falk (D...no, not the Carolina one, the other J. Falk), Linus Ullmark (G)
Flames-- Troy Brouwer (F), Michael Kostka (D), Brian Elliot (G)
Hurricanes- Cam Ward (G), Lee Stempniak (F)

Blackhawks- Marcus Kruger (F), Trevor Van Riemsdyk (F), Johnny Oduya (D)
Avalanche- Calvin Pickard (G), Joe Colborne (F), Rene Bourque (F)
Blue Jackets- Sam Gagner (F), Jack Johnson (D), Kyle Quincy (D)

Stars-- Dan Hamhuis (D), Jiri Hudler (F), Cody Eakin (F)
Red Wings- Riley Sheahan (F), Jonathan Ericsson (D), Dylan McIlrath (D), Petr Mrazek (G)
Oilers-     Benoit Pouliot (F), Kris Russell (D), David Desharnais (F)

Panthers- Jonathan Marchassault (F), Jason Demers (D), Roberto Luongo (G)
Kings--   Dustin Brown (F), Kyle Clifford (F), Jeff Zatkoff (G)
Wild-- Marco Scandella (D), Matt Dumba (D), Eric Staal (F), Christian Folin (D)

Canadiens-  Al Montoya (G), Tomas Plekanec (F), Alex Radulov or Nikita Nesterov (F and D, respectively, AND if either is going to stay in North America...there are rumors both may head back to the KHL)
Predators-- James Neal (F), Craig Smith (F), Mike Fisher (F)
Devils-- Mike Cammalleri (F), Devante Smith-Pelley (F), Dalton Prout (D)

Islanders-  Brock Nelson (F), Cal Clutterbuck (F), Casey Cizikas (F), Calvin DeHaan (D), Ryan Strome (F)
Rangers-- Jesper Fast (F), Oscar Lindberg (F), Anttii Raanta (G)
Senators- Clarke MacArthur (F), Bobby Ryan (F), Marc Methot (D), Alex Burrows (F)

Flyers-  Michael Del Zotto (D), Matt Read (F), P.E. Bellemare (F)
Penguins- Nick Bonino (F), Carl Hagelin (F), Ian Cole (D), Marc Andre Fleury (G-possibly the class of the goalie selections), Bryan Rust (F)
Sharks-  Aaron Dell (G), David Schlemko (D), Joe Thornton (F), Joel Ward (F)

Blues-  Kyle Brodziak (F), David Perron (F), Robert Bortuzzo (D)
Lightning-- Yanni Gourde (F), Slater Koekkoek (D), Jake Dotchin (D..I HOPE he doesn't get taken...I like the way he plays!), JT Brown (F)
Maple Leafs- Brian Boyle (F), Roman Polak (D...yes, Cro-Magnon man would help a new team trying not to get pushed around), Brooks Laich (F)

Canucks-- Ryan Miller (G...oh gawd, HJ is gonna have a hockey-gasm!), Luca Sbisa (D), Drew Shore (F), Joseph Cramarossa (F)
Capitals--  Brett Connolly (F), TJ Oshie (F), Justin Williams (F), Karl Alzner (D), Kevin Shattenkirk (D..though I think he WON'T sign with the Knights as he is a UFA and I think wants to stay in the East).
Jets-- Ondrej Pavelec (G), Tobias Enstrom (D), Chris Thorburn (F).

:thankyou1: @pilldoc 

I feel I kind of lucked out picking the 1G spot. 

Vegas has a no brainier here IMO.  Picking a goalie who has 3 Stanley Cup Rings, regardless, if he may be traded or not, will make this team competitive from the start.

If I'm Vegas and if I want to be competitive in the inaugural season, then the pick must be the Flower from Pittsburgh.  His cap hit is high for the next 3 years at 5.75 million, but it will be money worth spent.

Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh) - (G)

Vegas players under contract for next season (need 20): Yes - running total = 2

Vegas Salary requirement (At least 45 million, not to exceed 75 million): $5.75 million

Cap Salary Running total = $6,500,000.

@yave1964 you are now on the clock for the 1D position

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

?? How are we going to keep track of the # of players UC-17 (under contract for 2017). We need a minimum of 20.  Also, how are we going to keep track of Salary Cap?  ($73,000,000)

@hf101 can you edit the table above to include if the player is under contract or not for 2017?

Maybe another table with a running total of the Salary Cap?  Not sure space wise if the the format will fit.

Column for summing Salary Cap Added,  Players in Bold will under contract for 2017

Archived