HF.net Team Vegas Mock Draft

hf101

HF.net Mock Vegas Golden Knights Draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to Participate in choosing the Vegas Golden Knights Mock team?

11 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

So for their 1RW pick the Vegas Golden Knights select: 

Bryan Rust 

Photo of  

Cap Hit = a mere 640 G's 

I wonder if Vegas bypasses MAF with the other goalies available and select Rust. It'd be unexpected, but not necessarily shocking.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LW was a tough one to pick. There's not a ton of talent available at the position. The best player IMO would be Mike Cammalleri, but he's 35 and making $5M, plus Lovejoy would be a better pick from the Devils. 

So... I'm going to take Jamie McGinn from the Coyotes and hope that with an increase role, he can get to that 20 goal level.

Total players selected = 5

Total salary expected = $17.55M

Teams represented: Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Arizona Coyotes

@BobbyClarkeFan16 is up next selected a defenseman

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wonder if Vegas bypasses MAF with the other goalies available and select Rust. It'd be unexpected, but not necessarily shocking.

Yeah maybe from a combination of considering the age, potential, and salary of 

the other goalies available. :scratcheshead: I haven't reviewed the goaltenders who can be

picked.

I do see a possible scenario where the Golden Knights take Rust; he plays 

his first full season and delivers a good year, his best yet; & he resigns with the team

who has money set aside for such a scenario with a previously inexpensive player,

both parties happy. :) 

A guy like Fleury, though expensive and 32, could really help a new 

team be more competitive than they would be otherwise, while helping 

tutor other netminders on the team, in the organization. 

5 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

Yeah maybe from a combination of considering the age, potential, and salary of 

the other goalies available. :scratcheshead: I haven't reviewed the goaltenders who can be

picked.

I do see a possible scenario where the Golden Knights take Rust; he plays 

his first full season and delivers a good year, his best yet; & he resigns with the team

who has money set aside for such a scenario with a previously inexpensive player,

both parties happy. :) 

A guy like Fleury, though expensive and 32, could really help a new 

team be more competitive than they would be otherwise, while helping 

tutor other netminders on the team, in the organization. 

Take Mrazek and Grubauer. Trade one, the other starts. Take Domingue as your backup. Draft Subban and Korpisalo to develop. If there's trade interest, draft and move Pickard as well.

Due to the rumored trade in place for the Islanders with Vegas to select Bailey and not other listed players I will select Josh Bailey who has 1 year left on his contract with a 3.3M cap hit as the Knights 2nd line Center.

We are currently at 25.58M on the total Cap hit and @FD19372 is now on the clock with the 2RW pick.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:45 PM, AJgoal said:

It's going to be interesting seeing how our list compares to the final list. We're not privy to any deals to either not pick a player, or to pick a player and flip them. Going to be a nutty week until the draft is over, I think.

Of course, in reality, we believe Vegas Golden Knights general manager George McPhee when he says he’ll be taking a stack-the-assets, draft-and-develop approach when he selects his 30 chess pieces between now and Wednesday evening. It’s been reported that McPhee has already shook hands on as many as nine side deals to avoid premium players in return for futures.  But that doesn’t make it any less fun to see what kind of squad the Knights could ride into 2017-18.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vegas-golden-knight-mock-expansion-draft-contender-playoff-read-exempt-list-neal-ryan-fleury/

Things are about to get really screwy in the NHL ......

(talk about potentially loading up on draft picks!)

As was stated earlier, LW is kind of a black hole in the expansion draft. While I believe David Perron to be the best pick available, I'm going to pass as we're currently at over 1/3 of the cap max with less than a third of potential players chosen. I'm therefore selecting Michael Raffl from the Philadelphia Flyers. Raffl is a bottom six guy with the ability to slide up and down in the lineup, and can play center in a pinch.  His 2.35 million cap hit is also below the average for a 30 man max-cap roster, and helps balance out some of the higher salaried selections.

Total players selected = 9

Total salary expected = $29.58M

Teams represented: Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Arizona Coyotes, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders, New York Rangers

@pilldoc is on the clock with a goalie.

By the luck of the draw, I get to Mock Draft 2 goalies for Vegas.

With MAF now in the fold, the Knights need to have a solid back-up.  Columbus’s net-minder, Joonas Korpisalo would be a nice prize here, however, there are reports that the Blue Jackets have a trade in place with Vegas to prevent him from leaving.  So here are the choices for MAF’s back-up.

• ·         Calvin Pickard (Colorado) almost won gold for Canada at the World Championships; he could be their goalie of the future.
  • ·         Michael Neuvirth (Philadelphia) could sneak in because Vegas general manager George McPhee is extremely high on the Flyers backup
  • ·         Antti Raanta (NY Rangers) with that contract as an extremely cheap starter or very quality backup could be a no-brainer. If Raanta doesn’t wind up Vegas’ starter, he’s as good a piece of trade bait as GM George McPhee will find exposed anywhere. Signed just one more season at $1 million.
  • ·         Lastly in Operation Hoard the Goalies. Philip Grubauer (Washington) would also be a great guy to groom as Vegas’ long-term starter if he doesn’t get dealt.
  • ·         Petr Mrazek (Detroit)..  ???

So what are the Knights going to do?

• ·         Neuvirth is out since the Knights took Raffl from Philadelphia
  • ·         Raanta (my personal choice) is out since the Knights took Grabner from the NY Rangers

My choice …..

(G) Calvin Pickard - Colorado

Fleury is the best No. 1 available, and inexpensive Pickard ($1 million for 1 more year becoming a RFA in 2018-19) is one of the more reliable backups without overspending.  Pickard did well despite playing for a really bad Colorado team. That’s a  tandem that could get you to the post-season.

Don’t be surprised if McPhee hordes Goalies and then holds them hostage to the NHL with each goalie going to the highest bidder.

Total players selected = 10

Total salary expected = $30.58M

Teams represented: Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Arizona Coyotes, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche

@yave1964 ,you are now on the clock for the Knights - 3D selection

@pilldoc I agree with both Raanta and Pickard as being good bet selections. Both are cheap, and would be desirable on the post-expansion trade market. If you can't move one, the backup is solid. 

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

@pilldoc I agree with both Raanta and Pickard as being good bet selections. Both are cheap, and would be desirable on the post-expansion trade market. If you can't move one, the backup is solid. 

Both picks will hurt their former teams.  I don't know if the Rangers have a solid back-up for the Rangers. After all Lundqvist is not getting any younger.

Same applies for the Avs.  If Varly is injury prone, the Avs haven't really groomed anyone else.  The Avs already have a very questionable blue-line, adding a rookie back-up with very little NHL experience, could be disastrous for this team,.

Just now, pilldoc said:

Both picks will hurt their former teams.  I don't know if the Rangers have a solid back-up for the Rangers. After all Lundqvist is not getting any younger.

Same applies for the Avs.  If Varly is injury prone, the Avs haven't really groomed anyone else.  The Avs already have a very questionable blue-line, adding a rookie back-up with very little NHL experience, could continually be disastrous for this team,.

Could you imagine Vegas picking both, then sending each to the other team?

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

By the luck of the draw, I get to Mock Draft 2 goalies for Vegas.

I switch the order to not have this happen, but when I added FD I forgot to make the change back.  oh well.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Could you imagine Vegas picking both, then sending each to the other team?

or any other team that bids them higher :haha:

I expected @pilldoc to possibly go Grubauer in net, cheap contract, chance to be good and when he didnt it made my choice easy.

If Washington had been off the board De Haan was the pick but instead based off of age and contract I am going with Capital defenseman Nate Schmidt.

Not the most well known of Capital d-men, he firmly established himself in the top four last year pairing with Carlson as the stay at home partner but he can roam a bit when called upon to do so. 

As far as salary, he is a RFA who made 875K last year and is due for a modest raise, I admit that money played a part in why I chose him over some others but he can play. I am uncertain how you are going to figure his salary as a RFA @pilldoc and @hf101 but he is a value pick.

Oh and @thenewestlights you are on the clock ISO a 3c.

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I expected @pilldoc to possibly go Grubauer in net, cheap contract, chance to be good and when he didnt it made my choice easy.

If Washington had been off the board De Haan was the pick but instead based off of age and contract I am going with Capital defenseman Nate Schmidt.

Not the most well known of Capital d-men, he firmly established himself in the top four last year pairing with Carlson as the stay at home partner but he can roam a bit when called upon to do so. 

As far as salary, he is a RFA who made 875K last year and is due for a modest raise, I admit that money played a part in why I chose him over some others but he can play. I am uncertain how you are going to figure his salary as a RFA @pilldoc and @hf101 but he is a value pick.

Oh and @thenewestlights you are on the clock ISO a 3c.

I probably would have saved Grubauer as a 3rd or 4th goalie pick up for Vegas as I think they will draft more than 3 goalies making trades to the highest bidders.  But on the other hand, taking Schmidt may mess more with the Capitals cap space.  ??

I'm going to leave salary blank for now as Schmidt is an unsigned RFA.

I agree with the Schmidt pick. He's an underrated defenseman who has potential to shine on an expansion team. One thing is sure though, this team isn't going to be nearly as good as many people think. I know the rules seems very favorable to Vegas and a lot of people are speculating that they will be competitive right away, a bubble playoff team... I really think they'll end up a lot closer to the bottom of the league than they will to a playoff spot. They will be good enough to not get embarrassed every night, better than what we usually think of as "expansion" teams, but not really competitive. 

1 minute ago, Honest Bender said:

I agree with the Schmidt pick. He's an underrated defenseman who has potential to shine on an expansion team. One thing is sure though, this team isn't going to be nearly as good as many people think. I know the rules seems very favorable to Vegas and a lot of people are speculating that they will be competitive right away, a bubble playoff team... I really think they'll end up a lot closer to the bottom of the league than they will to a playoff spot. They will be good enough to not get embarrassed every night, better than what we usually think of as "expansion" teams, but not really competitive. 

I agree, every solid playoff team is solid at center.  Vegas is extremely weak at center via this draft and will be for some time unless they try and snag a couple of RFAs with an offersheet or two.

I honestly expect McPhee to deal at least a third of the roster. I think art least three, maybe four defensemen get moved. At least two goaltenders Will be moved and I'm certain four forwards will be moved. McPhee is going to stock the pipeline. I think we'll see him end up with lots of picks and lots of really good prospects.

I agree. I think there's a very good chance McPhee "trusts the process," and picks up as many future assets as he can. Of course he still has to make the $55 million floor, so he'll need some salary for the next few years.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I agree. I think there's a very good chance McPhee "trusts the process," and picks up as many future assets as he can. Of course he still has to make the $55 million floor, so he'll need some salary for the next few years.

That's why RFAs are going to be so important to McPhee. I expect a guy line Schmidt is going to get $3.5 to $4 million his next deal. McPhee might actually inflate salaries to make the floor, which will REALLY make Vegas a player's spot to go.

For their 3C pick the Vegas Golden Knights select: 

Matt Stajan from the :flames:

Cap hit = 3.125 million for next year 

which the Golden Knights will pay, 

using Stajan for his veteran experience 

to help with the youngins, and hope they 

can either deal him season after next or 

keep him for less loot. 

It's time now for @Honest Bender to select a 3rdRightWinger for Vegas. 

:shakeit:

Archived