HF.net Team Vegas Mock Draft

hf101

HF.net Mock Vegas Golden Knights Draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to Participate in choosing the Vegas Golden Knights Mock team?

Sorry, had to get to bed, 3am comes early.

With the next pick, the Knights select Jake Dotchin of Tampa bay.

Solid defenseman who had a nice run in his appearances with the Bolts comes on the cheap. Tampa hopes not to lose him.

@thenewestlights you are now on the clock

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@yave1964 "Sorry, had to get to bed, 3am comes early"--:lol: And I'm 

still trying to gain consciousness aided by coffee and Judas Priest. :rock: 

Let's see here... For their 6th Defenseman

the Vegas Golden Knights :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm: select... 

That's a good question! How about they pick 

Griffin Reinhart from the Edmonon Oilers. :oilers:

They do so because he's young, has a measly cap hit of 

$863,333; and in hopes that during a first full season for

himself he will blossom as a defender. 

Rumor = too that they also picked him because he has 

a cool name, and because he looks like a bad mother in 

his Hockey Reference pic: 

Photo of

It's time again for @Honest Bender...! :cheer: This time to 

pick a 3rd Goalie for the Golden Knights. 

P.S. This was an interesting Golden Knight skim this morn: 

https://www.nhl.com/news/golden-knights-gm-says-team-plans-to-spend-in-free-agency/c-287943336

Do Oshie and Shattenkirk bail to the Knights :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm: for outdoor spa therapy

because the Caps :capitals: keep not making it past the second playoff round despite arguably being 

the most talented and stacked team these last couple few years? :bonkingheadonwall:

Does Joe Thornton finish his career helping a 

new franchise get established? Does he jump to a current playoff contender? Or 

do he and San Jose stick together and make another Cup run? 

:searching:

2 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

And I'm 

still trying to gain consciousness aided by coffee and Judas Priest. 

My alarm goes off at 4:30 to be at work by 6 am.  I go with what work in college...can of Jolt and a box of donuts!  I am wired for the rest of the day! :hyper: :hyper:

Now back to hockey ..... Good pick.  I have the 9D pick and was looking to see who might go to Vegas.  Reinhart is still young and cheap.  Though he is a RFA.  Curious to see what his new deal would look like .......

So he moves out of the cold dark winters of Edmonton to fun in the sun in Sin City ......  :dancing:

4 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

The Golden Knights third goaltender will be... Joonas Korpisalo from the Blue Jackets. I was weighing him against Laurent Brossoit and then thenewestlights made that decision for me ;)

@BobbyClarkeFan16 will be next with the 13th forward.

Happy to help, partner! :D

:toast:

4 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

The Golden Knights third goaltender will be... Joonas Korpisalo from the Blue Jackets. I was weighing him against Laurent Brossoit and then thenewestlights made that decision for me ;)

@BobbyClarkeFan16 will be next with the 13th forward.

Good pick ...I shied away from him only because of the rumors that Columbus has a side deal with Vegas in not to pick him ....

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

My alarm goes off at 4:30 to be at work by 6 am.  I go with what work in college...can of Jolt and a box of donuts!  I am wired for the rest of the day! :hyper: :hyper:

Now back to hockey ..... Good pick.  I have the 9D pick and was looking to see who might go to Vegas.  Reinhart is still young and cheap.  Though he is a RFA.  Curious to see what his new deal would look like .......

So he moves out of the cold dark winters of Edmonton to fun in the sun in Sin City ......  :dancing:

:lol: 

That's one honey of a breakfast! :o::) 

Cheers. Yeah the RFA thing gave me some pause too; but based off 

the time available for hockey research and analysis, he seemed a 

believable move for the Knights. 

Indeed he does! :beer: :crazysmile::D 

Had to chuckle when I saw that McSorley said Vegas 

would be good for the wives. Before I read further I 

got thinking it could be if the hubbies don't 

wander off to certain Las Vegas sectors for some 

bad decision-making. :nonono: 

Las Vegas selects from the Toronto Maple Leafs, forward Brendan Lepisic. Speedy, tenacious and great hands, but no opportunity in Toronto. The assistant GM in Vegas is familiar with Leipsic from his days in the WHL and is happy to add him. Hf101 pm'd

42 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

I don't believe Korpisalo is available with a trade in place by the Blue Jackets, but imo, Forsberg will be a good alternate if Korpisalo is protected.

9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Team Vegas will select the 7th Defenseman from Boston, Colin Miller.

@FD19372 is on the clock with the 14th Forward.

Definitely had him on my radar as I was looking down the road to who might be available.  Many of Bruins fans will not be happy losing Miller. 

24 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Las Vegas selects from the Toronto Maple Leafs, forward Brendan Lepisic. Speedy, tenacious and great hands, but no opportunity in Toronto. The assistant GM in Vegas is familiar with Leipsic from his days in the WHL and is happy to add him. Hf101 pm'd

Another nice pick.  Earlier when I was picking for LW I had Lepisic or Rychel going to Vegas.  I ultimately chose Carrier from the Sabres.  Not going to hurt the Leafs, but I know many of Leaf fans won't be happy.

been keeping track with TSN Expansion simulator ... here is where we stand.

Capture.JPG

We must fulfill 7 more spots.

• 1 forward
  • 2 D-men
  • 4 any position

These teams are still available:

• Anaheim
  • Carolina
  • Dallas
  • Detroit
  • NJ
  • Vancouver
  • Winnipeg

24 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I don't believe Korpisalo is available with a trade in place by the Blue Jackets, but imo, Forsberg will be a good alternate if Korpisalo is protected.

I do think they're very close in terms of ability, yet Korpisalo seemed to have gained an edge last season and probably moving forward, but you never know with goalies what they will be playing like in 2-3 years. Anyway, with nothing but rumors, I wasn't going to limit my options. There are probably several deals that haven't been rumored yet to protect players which we won't know about until later in the week, considering that, I can only go with what is presented to be true as of today, which is that Korpisalo is available for choosing in the expansion draft.

Other considerations were Laurent Brossoit, Malcolm Subban, Jared Coreau and Kristers Gudlevskis. Had Pickard not been selected as the backup, Keith Kinkaid would have been a great selection for that role as well.

Getting down to the last required spots on their roster, Las Vegas selects Xavier Ouellet, Detroit Red Wings, to help fill out their blue line. Ouellet graduated from the AHL this past year, and played a significant part of the season for the Red Wings. He was an average to above average defenseman last year, and at 23, still has room to develop. Ouellet is a restricted free agent.

@pilldoc is on the clock with Vegas' 9th and final required Defenseman.

Coming down to he wire.  Vegas needs to pick one more required Defenseman to fulfill the Expansion Draft requirements.  With 5 teams remaining to choose from lets take a look at them.

• Anaheim - with a side deal coming, there is no way Vatanen or Manson are going to be available
  • Dallas - Dan Hamhuis (34 with a monster contract = just say no thanks)
  • Dallas - Jamie Oleksiak (young and inconsistent)
  • Winnipeg - Toby Enstrom (32, on the downside of his career and a high contract with a NMC which he waived)
  • Vancouver - Luca Sbisa

And the winner based on the above ....

Luca Sbisa (D) - Vancouver Canucks

The most accomplished player left exposed by GM Jim Benning, Sbisa (27) has one year left on a contract that carries a $3.6 million cap hit. Sbisa was part of the package sent by the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for the one-sided Ryan Kesler trade three summers ago. It was expected that Sbisa would be a reliable second-pairing defenceman, but that hasn’t happened.

Nonetheless, Benning questionably signed him to a three-year, $10.8 million extension after his first season in Vancouver. With only one year left on his deal that’ll pay him $3.8 million, Sbisa would come as a low-risk, high-reward option for Vegas. McPhee has to get experience on that blue line, and Sbisa may wind up a better fit there than he has been in Vancouver.

Taking Sbisa would at least give them a potential second-pairing blueliner.

@yave1964  With the D-men / Forwards / and Goalie requirements now all fulfilled, you are now on the clock, free to pick whomever you think fits a need for Vegas.

Your remaining teams to choose from are: Anaheim / Carolina / Dallas / and Winnipeg

After my first three picks were young defenseman with upside, I get the first 'wildcard' pick of drafting anyone from any position with the caveat that Carolina, Dallas, Winnipeg and Anaheim.

My pick is winger Lee Stempniak because of his versatility and ability to play up and down the top three lines. Plus this will be the 31st NHL team that he has played for. :VeryCool:

@thenewestlights

You are on the clock with Anaheim, Winnipeg and Dallas as your final three teams to choose from.

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Another nice pick.  Earlier when I was picking for LW I had Lepisic or Rychel going to Vegas.  I ultimately chose Carrier from the Sabres.  Not going to hurt the Leafs, but I know many of Leaf fans won't be happy.

I really think Leipsic has 40+ point upside. He just needs an opportunity. He was never going to get a fair shake in Toronto and being a smaller player, he can't play on an energy line. I think you can put Leipsic on a third line and his speed will give opposition fits. I see another Jordan Weal in Leipsic.

Thank you to those who listed what few teams remain as our 

mock expansion draft winds down. :toast: It helps my fried brain 

fry a little less. :frantics: :D 

The Vegas Golden Knights and I ;) quickly considered some players

from the remaining teams and the name that makes the most sense

would be 

Marko Dano from the Winnipeg Jets :jets: 

Photo of

Here's why he's a good choice: 

--He's young at 22 

--He's yet to play close to a full season, so his potential remains an intriguing question 

--He's a forward who can play both wings or center. Vegas likely will do a lot of 

mixing and matching with its lines as it figures out who works well with whom. 

Getting and keeping a guy like Dano makes sense in that he could be that missing piece 

for one line or another as all offensive attack trios come together. 

--He's soft cap hit at only 850 g's and it's a one-year contract for next season. 

So Vegas can give him a year, see how and if he performs; re-sign him, or try to 

ship him off, based on what's needed after only his first campaign for the team. 

@Honest Bender Whom does Vegas scoop up from Dallas or Anaheim? 

And then @BobbyClarkeFan16 will bring us on home. 

Archived