HF.net Team Vegas Mock Draft

hf101

HF.net Mock Vegas Golden Knights Draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to Participate in choosing the Vegas Golden Knights Mock team?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

It's going to be interesting seeing how our list compares to the final list. We're not privy to any deals to either not pick a player, or to pick a player and flip them. Going to be a nutty week until the draft is over, I think.

Yeah, I know.  Teams that we know have deals with the Knights we should not select said players saved.

First time doing this... we'll see what shakes out, lol.  They have been studying this for months, we have 3 days.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I went back and forth between a player here from Minnesota and a player from Florida. Eric Staal had a bit of a renaissance on the Wild, posting 28 goals and 65 points for his best totals since 2011-2012 for points, and the year prior for goals. He's won a Cup, and would bring a wealth of experience to the team. However, with the quality of defensemen available for picking off of Minny's roster, I elected to choose Jonathan Machessault from the Florida Panthers

Wow, either Dumba or Scandella will be gone.

14 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Wow, either Dumba or Scandella will be gone.

Sadly, this could be true.

I was just discussing this with my husband.

And to make matters worse, I think the Wild will be hard pressed to replace either of those players with guys in their system....so their blue line may find itself thin if they get hit with an injury or two.

No brainer pick of the draft, even more than MAF.

Lets face it, the Knights are gonna have a difficult rookie season and can afford to sit on a top tier defenseman to recover from his wounds this past postseason and miss the start of the year, and that is the reason that they choose :

SAMI VATANEN ANAHEIM DUCKS

Salary 4.85 million. 

Total for Knights thru 3 picks: 11,385 million

Vatanen being left exposed is curious too the extreme unless the Ducks have a side deal worked out with the Knights, for the purpose of this simulation I am saying they do not and the Knights snag up a player who teams throughout the league have coveted for years.

@thenewestlights you are now on the clock for a 1RW

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just an idea. When we finish making our pick, can we send a private message to the next user to let them know it's their pick? Just my own $0.02 worth.

Please check your notification settings in your profile.   I selected each of you all participating to follow the topic, which means you should receive an email and notification for every post in the topic.  Also, you should receive a notification for when someone @mentions your name.  

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@yave1964

Great pick.  I too would have picked Vatanen. However, there are rumors that Vegas has a deal with the Ducks NOT to pick Vatanen. Should be interesting....

I'm thinking @yave1964 should probably re-pick from the info given above?

42 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm thinking @yave1964 should probably re-pick from the info given above?

That is fine, no problem, rescinding the choice of Vatanen as he is likely kept.

First defenseman off the boards, Matt Dumba, Minnesota Wild.

Sold player, 2.55 million dollar cap hit, lots to love.

Expansion Draft Emcee: Before we get to the next pick, I want to take time to acknowledge the enthusiasm of the three clearly marked Golden Knight fans who arrived here on horseback, wearing full knight armor, and with hockey sticks as part of their jousting gear. It's unfortunate they were turned away when they tried to enter this convention hall. It's also unfortunate that the cargo elevator here cannot support delivering such fan expression to our floor. And now, without further adieu, we return to the picking in this historic expansion draft; here's TheNewestLights to pick the Vegas Golden Knights' first right winger--Oh and we kindly remind the audience to avoid all snickering and politicking after anyone says 

right winger or left winger. Sorry, everyone; sorry, thenewestlights. 

No problem, Disembodied Digital Dude! I can't say I'm totally excited about the right wingers that I know who are available. I imagine Team VGK will often have that same experience as they pick for any position given it's an expansion draft and all--all the while recharging themselves continually with chants of Can't believe we got Fleury! Can't believe we got Fleury! But there are a few decent names for options on the right wing: 

Cal Clutterbuck :islanders: 

Jesper Fast :rangers: 

James Neal :predators: 

Bryan Rust :penguins: 

Clutterbuck and Neal are two guys who at 29 could provide guidance and leadership to a new team and its young players. Clutterbuck's energetic, physical, and a top hitter; but don't count on him for many points. Neal's got substantial playoff experience, scoring at better than a point per every two playoff games, and he's scored twenty or more goals in the last six regular seasons. It's wild in a way that James Neal's unprotected. But it makes good sense given the following: Nashville wants to protect its four core defensemen, and Neal's regular-season point production has been kind of erratic over the last couple few years. He and Clutterbuck are spendy brothers too: 5-million and 3.5 million cap hits respectively. 

In Fast and Rust the Knights have two youth moves they could make. Rust (under contract) seems the better bet to me than Fast (not under contract). He would cost less to the Golden Knights next year than Fast has been costing the Rangers. And Bryan Rust scores at a better clip, seems to be trending upwardly: he more than doubled his point production but in only sixteen more games; 41 games last season with eleven points, 57 games this season with 28 points. I say the Vegas Golden Knights go with him, eager to see what he can do while getting to play a full season, enjoying that he won't be financially costly, and passing the savings on to future expansion picks rather than incurring two huge cap hits, spending over ten percent their max money, this early.

So for their 1RW pick the Vegas Golden Knights select: 

Bryan Rust 

Photo of  

Cap Hit = a mere 640 G's 

And they will encourage him to comfort former Pittsburgh teammate Marc-Andre Fleury as he grapples with the transition from Penguin life to Golden Knight life. :notfair: :console: :cheers: 

If Vegas can keep both players while somehow making the playoffs within the next, say, four years, the championship credentials and inspiration of each would be most appreciated for a first playoff campaign. 

[Sidenote: @hf101, @pilldoc, and / or whoever'd handle this: 

will we soon have a Golden Knight emoticon logo? :D Cheers!]

:toast: @BobbyClarkeFan16 :toast: you are on-deck 

Ladies and gents, please give it up to 

:goodjob: @Honest Bender :goodjob: who's up next in the HockeyForums.Net Mock Expansion Draft for the Vegas Golden Knights and will be picking a 1LW. 

7 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

So for their 1RW pick the Vegas Golden Knights select: 

Bryan Rust 

@thenewestlights fyi, Teams can only lose one player.  Fleury was already chosen from the Penguins by @pilldoc

You will need to re-select.   and btw.  ask and you shall receive     :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm:

I was ready with my pick and stayed up a bit later to make it too before realizing Rust can't go... hopefully I'll get to post it first thing in the morning. This actually was a lot more difficult than it seems on the surface, you're not just picking the best player for a position, but you're picking the best value from each team. There was some names that I was easily considering for my pick, but then there is a player at another position on that team which would make a better pick for that position. So the trick is finding a decent player, who also makes the most sense to pick from his team. The player I'm going to take probably isn't the best choice overall considering age and health, but from a personnel stand point, and what is available from each team at that position and other positions, it made it easier to pick this player. I'm certain that TNT won't pick a RW from this team either, but i'll hold off until his pick is replaced or i'll pick first thing in the morning if I'm given the green light to skip over the #1RW selection.

6 hours ago, Honest Bender said:

I was ready with my pick and stayed up a bit later to make it too before realizing Rust can't go... hopefully I'll get to post it first thing in the morning. This actually was a lot more difficult than it seems on the surface, you're not just picking the best player for a position, but you're picking the best value from each team. There was some names that I was easily considering for my pick, but then there is a player at another position on that team which would make a better pick for that position. So the trick is finding a decent player, who also makes the most sense to pick from his team. The player I'm going to take probably isn't the best choice overall considering age and health, but from a personnel stand point, and what is available from each team at that position and other positions, it made it easier to pick this player. I'm certain that TNT won't pick a RW from this team either, but i'll hold off until his pick is replaced or i'll pick first thing in the morning if I'm given the green light to skip over the #1RW selection.

I completely agree on how challenging this starts out to be w/r to the forwards anyway.  There aren't very many quality center choices in the first place as I'm looking for the #2C, and then when I think I've got one and look at the roster there is a better defenseman, goalie or winger to choose off the team especially when thinking the entire team needs the 45M cap hit too.  It may get easier in the 2nd half of this draft... I guess we will see.

I think we should wait for @thenewestlights to re-pick the RW.  -- If we get slowed up a bit I think we are still ok.  Picks don't need to have extensive writeups.

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Is it too late for me to participate in this mock draft?

Hey @FD19372

No it isn't too late.  I will add you to the list after me.

Everyone please note the update for your second pick, etc.

Whoops. Sorry about that, folks. Didn't know, didn't think of that. 

:blushing:

Will get a revamped post up soon. 

P.S. HF.Net notifications have stopped showing in my account 

for this thread. And maybe others...? Not sure why. Nothing 

changed on my side since last notifications came in. 

27 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

P.S. HF.Net notifications have stopped showing in my account 

for this thread. And maybe others...? Not sure why. Nothing 

changed on my side since last notifications came in. 

Should be fixed now.

:welcome: @FD19372 to the mock expansion draft

***Revamped Post***

Expansion Draft Emcee: Before we get to the next pick, I want to acknowledge the enthusiasm of the three clearly marked Golden Knight fans who arrived here on horseback, wearing full knight armor, and with hockey sticks as part of their jousting gear. It's unfortunate they were turned away when they tried to enter this convention hall. It's also unfortunate that the cargo elevator here cannot support delivering such fan expression to our floor. And now, without further adieu, we return to the picking in this historic expansion draft; here's TheNewestLights to pick the Vegas Golden Knights' first right winger--Oh and we kindly remind the audience to avoid all snickering and politicking after anyone says 

right winger or left winger. Sorry, everyone; sorry, thenewestlights. 

No problem, Disembodied Digital Dude! Because of his regular-season and playoff experience, as well as his scoring twenty goals or more the last six seasons, the Vegas Golden Knights select from the Nashville Predators for their number #1 right winger: 

James Neal

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.c

and they do so with [Hey Big Spender...] playing in the background: 

--Cap Hit = 5-million. 

[Sidenote: @hf101@pilldoc, and / or whoever'd handle this: 

will we soon have a Golden Knight emoticon logo? :D Cheers!]

:toast: @BobbyClarkeFan16 :toast: you are on-deck 

Ladies and gents, please give it up to 

:goodjob: @Honest Bender :goodjob: who's up next in the HockeyForums.Net Mock Expansion Draft for the Vegas Golden Knights and will be picking a 1LW. 

Archived