HF.net Team Vegas Mock Draft

hf101

HF.net Mock Vegas Golden Knights Draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to Participate in choosing the Vegas Golden Knights Mock team?

Just now, Honest Bender said:

I don't think we're very close to what it will actually be. If we got more than 10 players right I'd say that's pretty good.

It is tough with all the trades being offered.  I also think more goalies are going to be chosen than just 3.  

We probably could do some evaluation and re-picks after a solid first draft, but I'm not sure anyone really wants to do all that. Especially with the team being announced tomorrow.  Nevertheless, a lot of our picks were made for good reasons and I thought we did a good job as a group.  :goodjob:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hf101 I agree about the goalies. I think it's the position in which Vegas 

likely starts the strongest in its first season. There are some good ones 

available, and I see the Golden Knights possibly picking as many as five 

to kick things off with solid 1 and 2 netminders, and trading a couple others 

for good returns.  

Given the time crunches we all sometimes find ourselves dealing with, and 

given the difficulty of dealing with the sheer amount of data and variables in 

something like an expansion draft, I think we did a great job. :cooldude: :cooldude: :cooldude: 

Both drafts--this mock expansion draft and the mock 2017 draft--have been 

a lot of fun: good picks, solid arguments, and some laughs. :D Can't ask 

for much more. :) Hope to participate in another draft down the road. 

On 6/20/2017 at 10:05 PM, Honest Bender said:

I don't think we're very close to what it will actually be. If we got more than 10 players right I'd say that's pretty good.

we got 10 on the nose! :) I say we did pretty darn good. :VeryCool:

58 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

we got 10 on the nose! :) I say we did pretty darn good. :VeryCool:

We did a little better than that with 12.  :IDunnoSmiley:

Just now, AJgoal said:

I almost picked Bellemare, but figured the Flyers were lucky enough for one offseason.

I was going to pick Cody Eakin and considered Oscar Lindberg for the #2 center.  Went with Bailey, because I thought the rumored trade with the Islanders was a done deal if Vegas chose Bailey.  

I still thought they would have chosen another goalie or two to use for further trades. 

I really considered Perron over Jaskin. I went Jaskin because he has more room to grow into a solid power forward type, whereas Perron is what he is at this point, looked like a legit scorer as a rookie but now he's injury prone and more of an agitator for some reason. 

McPhee didn't really hit the home run that a lot of people thought he could with the league tossing a soft pitch right over the plate. Yeah, he got some decent draft picks and there are more moves to come today, but it doesn't seem like he's going to suddenly become a great GM just as he wasn't great in Washington. I guess we'll see what he does with the players picked and how he handles the entry draft.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:59 AM, pilldoc said:

could we interest you in a Fantasy Draft for a fantasy team this year .... :smileyandcomputer:

:smileyandcomputer: Maybe. Never done one, know nothing about it. What all does it entail? 

Is it something a person could get proficient in after a two- or one-day 

study intensive? :) That was much of my approach for the Mock 2017 and 

Mock Vegas Expansion drafts. 

:cheers:

1 hour ago, thenewestlights said:

:smileyandcomputer: Maybe. Never done one, know nothing about it. What all does it entail? 

We would love to have you join us.  More information can be found here:

https://www.hockeyforums.net/fantasy/hf.net-fhl/

With a little bit of prep work and spending about maybe 60 minutes a week to adjust your roster, I believe you will find it very enjoyable.  We had a newbie win it 2 years ago!

PM me if you have more questions.

2 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

I was the 'newbie' that won the entry league two seasons ago.

Never played FHL hockey before....but I like to think I know my NHL and its players, so once I got comfortable with the fantasy ruleset, and how the players scored points for the team and fit in, I just used what I knew about NHL players to ice a team.

Turned out pretty well, then this past season, I didn't win, but did pretty well against more seasoned fantasy GM's in the higher FHl leagues such as All Star and NAHANA.

Fun stuff and doesn't take a ton of your time...especially if you have decent knowledge of the NHL as a whole to begin with.

29 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

I will definitely not be participating in fantasy, I've got such a full plate with sim hockey nearly year round. 

no worries ...we understand

• 5 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Do you all believe it was fair to established teams how Vegas was given this playoff ready team?

Yea, I DO think it's fair.

Reason 1--- WHY would you want an expansion franchise to look and play...well, like an EXPANSION franchise??  Sure, former expansion teams (including my Lightning and Wild) were basically doormats till they got their footing...but really, why go through all that if you can have a competitive team right out of the gate?  It is better for everyone in the NHL if all 31 teams could at least ice a reasonably competitive team.

Reason 2-- No one, and I mean NO ONE saw Vegas playing this good.  Most figured they'd start out hot, then fizzle...some people thought the team WOULD play like an old fashioned doormat expansion club....still others thought the team would actually play well (better than an expansion team made up of 4th liners and backups), but just miss the playoffs or some such.

I can't think of anyone who said "Well, Vegas will be right up there with the top teams in the league".

Well, they ARE at this point.

And we are well past small sample size....

Reason 3-- Vegas wasn't "given" a playoff ready team. You simply have to give props to McPhee and his staff for not only player scouting, but taking full advantage of the draft rules (and other teams' fears of him snatching away talent they still wanted to keep) and building what he has now with all that.

Crazy thing is, there are still a number of ways McPhee can go with this team:

--He can trade off some good productive players for very good prospects with very high ceilings and continue to plan long term (his original plan I believe)

--Or, he can stay as is, continue to compete with his team....and he STILL has quite a number of draft picks in the upcoming draft to add on to his team and help fill out a minor league development team with.

Reason 4-- This simply is no longer the expansion days of old. I already touched up on this in Reason 2, but fact is, between the NHL, colleges, juniors, and European leagues all having exceptional talent as compared to decades ago, there IS enough talent to go around where even guys relegated to bottom six roles or third pair defensemen are pretty good.

I have heard some people say expansion is diluting the talent in the NHL, and to a degree, it sorta is.

But as long as the NHL doesn't get too crazy in expanding too fast too soon, I think worldwide, there is enough talent for any NHL team with a reasonably good coaching, scouting and development staff, to be able to fill out a roster and ice a competitive hockey team.

Vegas is proof positive of that.

I did not want to quote the long post TFG but valid points made.  I wonder if its a bit of a distraction for visiting clubs to go in there with all the gambling right in front of you?  lets me realistic, they are human and there are gamblers on all teams.  Just like going down to Florida and having to bask in the great weather and the beach's and the bikini's to put a spell on you?  Maybe the gambling has some effect.  It may wear off, but its new.  God help them if they ever catch a team or teams fixing a game there

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I wonder if its a bit of a distraction for visiting clubs to go in there with all the gambling right in front of you?  lets me realistic, they are human and there are gamblers on all teams.

Its called discipline and self control .....  Most professional athletes are very focused at the task at hand and know what is required of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Compelling observations @TropicalFruitGirl26 :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys: 

I know that some folks on this site thought Vegas would be competitive. But I 

don't recall hearing or seeing anyone--anywhere--predicting they'd be where 

they are right now. I was one of those HF and otherwise peeps who

thought the Golden Knights :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm: wouldn't be competitive this year. 

So far they've proven me wrong. As has Edmonton :oilers: and some others. In my defense I

do believe that I warned people at least once that my prognostication chops were only a 

step or two away from Miss Cleo "quality". :D 

The Leafs are looking good though! :mapleleafs:! Maybe they're my ticket to finally building that 

lucrative psychic career which I've secretly longed for these many years--or was it minutes...? :lol:    

As always it'll be interesting to see who's actually battling for Stanley come playoff time. 

Can't wait! :redhockey: :stanleycup: :bluehockey:         

Archived