John Stevens is the New Head Coach of the LA Kings

hf101

cut.jpg

Congrats are in order for Stevens.  A good choice imo. Stevens deserves a 2nd chance.

"John and I had very productive dialogue this last week in relation to his head coaching philosophy and specifically how he would implement a strategy to activate our players offensively while maintaining the defensive philosophies we have come to be known for," said Blake. "I am confident that we are both in agreement on how that can be executed. With that said, we believe John has the ideal qualities to lead our hockey club. His wide array of coaching experience, including success as an NHL head coach and his inherent knowledge of our players and those in our development system, is very appealing to us. We are confident he is the best person to lead our hockey club forward."

Blake and Stevens will announce the rest of the Kings coaching staff - which also includes Goaltending Coach Bill Ranford - at a later date.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/john-stevens-is-the-new-head-coach-of-the-la-kings/c-289041404

@hf101

Well, you called that, huh?

I'm not going to be as nice as @flyercanuck, though.   I predict unmitigated failure.   Not just a little failure, but horrible.   2 years tops with nothing to show for it.

FC may be right though (and HF, you said as much previously).  Maybe several years more of studying and molding and he's ready.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe several years more of studying and molding and he's ready.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean several more years.  I meant maybe the few years he's had since the Flyers have made him ready.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just to be clear, I didn't mean several more years.  I meant maybe the few years he's had since the Flyers have made him ready.

I got it the way you wrote it.  And I agree.  Stevens wasn't the main problem in Philly even though he took the ax for it.  

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No, John is from Simcoe Ontario...Kevin is from the Boston area I believe.

Kevin is from Massachusetts! Thanks for responding. Your a gentleman and a scholar!

hf101: Thanks for getting this conversation going! 

I found that this LA Times article-- 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-coach-stevens-20170423-story.html 

--partly assuaged my concern about hiring a head coach from 

in house after that house's been so gutted. I also enjoyed the 

following quote from Drew Doughty: 

“So I’m excited to hopefully get that more offensive thing going.” 

He and other Kings have forgotten its name. It's called offense. :lol: 

Archived