PEGULA CREATED SABRES MESS, NOW HE NEEDS TO FIX IT THEN GET OUT OF THE WAY

flyercanuck

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/25/2017 at 1:05 PM, radoran said:

No question that it's been a disappointment, but I think you can see that the Sabres are at least pointed somewhat in the right direction.

They definitely need better out of the front office, but I'd take where they are now over trying to spit-and-bailing-wire the remnants of Pominville/Vanek/Roy/Stafford teams into a winner.

I think Pegula did the right thing firing both of those guys.  Yes, they are headed in the right direction.  They chose rather than to keep the older established guys like Jason Pomenville, to build a young team from the ground up.  Nothing wrong with that.  But bashing Pegula is not really something I agree with.  He saved both franchises.  The Bills and Sabres are still here thanks to this guy.  So he had nothing to do with Lehner coming in.  That is Murray and his Ottawa Senators background.   Good riddens

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think Pegula did the right thing firing both of those guys.  Yes, they are headed in the right direction.  They chose rather than to keep the older established guys like Jason Pomenville, to build a young team from the ground up.  Nothing wrong with that.  But bashing Pegula is not really something I agree with.  He saved both franchises.  The Bills and Sabres are still here thanks to this guy.  So he had nothing to do with Lehner coming in.  That is Murray and his Ottawa Senators background.   Good riddens

Good riddance, too. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He saved both franchises.  The Bills and Sabres are still here thanks to this guy. 

That's the problem with Buffalo sports fans, you are so grateful to him because he kept professional sports in Buffalo that you are content to just cheer for anything and accept mediocrity or worse. Pegula has no clue how to run a professional sports team. At his press conference after he gassed Disco Dan and the emotionless robot Murray, he promised the next people he brings in will have a ton of experience. So far he has only interviewed Bill Guerin for the GM job and Chris Drury told them he didn't even want an interview. By now Pegula should have reached out to the Kings for permission to speak to a two time cup winner in Lombardi but inexplicably he hasn't. Maybe he should just let Eichel pick his staff and be done with it......

10 minutes ago, Samifan said:

That's the problem with Buffalo sports fans, you are so grateful to him because he kept professional sports in Buffalo that you are content to just cheer for anything and accept mediocrity or worse. Pegula has no clue how to run a professional sports team. At his press conference after he gassed Disco Dan and the emotionless robot Murray, he promised the next people he brings in will have a ton of experience. So far he has only interviewed Bill Guerin for the GM job and Chris Drury told them he didn't even want an interview. By now Pegula should have reached out to the Kings for permission to speak to a two time cup winner in Lombardi but inexplicably he hasn't. Maybe he should just let Eichel pick his staff and be done with it......

Its not like he is making on field or ice decisions concerning the Bills or Sabres.  The draft going on is on Whaley.  

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Good riddance, too. 

What is that supposed to mean?   You know, Pegula is not making on field or ice decisions.   He is not Jerry Jones. He fired two guys that deserved it   Especially Murray.  

18 minutes ago, Samifan said:

The problem with Buffalo sports fans?  Are you kidding me?  I cannot believe these words.  We are pretty loyal and good fans in my opinion.  Just like Cleveland and Toronto Maple Leaf fans.  I would say Buffalo fans are as good as they come

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The problem with Buffalo sports fans?  Are you kidding me?  I cannot believe these words.  We are pretty loyal and good fans in my opinion.  Just like Cleveland and Toronto Maple Leaf fans.  I would say Buffalo fans are as good as they come

That's my point, too loyal!  They will accept non-playoff Bills teams for 19 seasons and be happy just because there is a team in WNY. Sabres haven't been a real "threat" since what 06-07? 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What is that supposed to mean?   You know, Pegula is not making on field or ice decisions.   He is not Jerry Jones. He fired two guys that deserved it   Especially Murray.  

I was just translating into English for my fellow boardies.  I'm neighborly like that. 

21 minutes ago, Samifan said:

That's my point, too loyal!  They will accept non-playoff Bills teams for 19 seasons and be happy just because there is a team in WNY. Sabres haven't been a real "threat" since what 06-07? 

The Sabres were around in 1906-07? I had no idea. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

-- John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1

So Pegula fires his GM (Bills) less than 24 hours after the draft. The same GM who he gave a vote of confidence to back in January...when he fired his head coach....without consulting his now former GM. 

I'd be worried if I was a Sabres fan. :VeryCool:

4 hours ago, B21 said:

So Pegula fires his GM (Bills) less than 24 hours after the draft. The same GM who he gave a vote of confidence to back in January...when he fired his head coach....without consulting his now former GM. 

I'd be worried if I was a Sabres fan. :VeryCool:

He also fired the Bills entire scouting department. Dude is in waaaaaay over his head trying to run one professional sports team let alone two. He has fired so many people from both teams since he has owned them it's comical. The dumpster fires he has created with both his teams is entertaining. :PopcornSmiley2:

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

The Pegulas continually set the example of how it takes more than deep pockets to be a successful owner.

Yes the Flyers and Rangers and Leafs say hello!!

One thing I will give Pegula Credit for is that the downtown near the arena looks a lot better than the hellhole it was when I lived there.  I literally just got back today from a wedding in Buffalo and was amazed as to the changes made to the downtown.  Apparently he can (partially) rebuild a city but not a team.  

Also while the sports bar "716" was cool, it is just a small potatoes version of Xfinity live, it is hardly a new idea even though all by Buffalonian friends were trying to tell me it was the most amazing sports bar ever.  I said in Buffalo it is, but elsewhere it is been there done that.

Rebuilding a team isn't  a simple process, and there is ample reason to question the rapid turnover of GM'S and coaches.

The real trick is not repeating mistakes. Pegula has to get a crew in there and let them run with it for several seasons to see what it is they have.

Two fired Buffalo GMs walk into a bar. "The first meeting of the Terry Pegula fan club is now called to order." Whaley looks **** faced at 11am, atta boy.

Photo courtesy of Deadspinulpbpp37olsaymix9hw4.jpg

Sabres have their front runner? 

I still say Money bags Pegula should be looking for a President of Hockey Operations before hiring a GM then coach..... 

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Sabres have their front runner? 

I still say Money bags Pegula should be looking for a President of Hockey Operations before hiring a GM then coach..... 

Front runner for Buffalo sounds more like, "I volunteer as tribute!" 

The Pegulas are going to hire another rookie GM? I dunno... This is just my own personal feeling, but I'm not a fan of having a rookie GM be in charge of a rebuild, having witnessed my own team spin their wheels through two guys learning on the job at the NHL level.

It's one thing to strip a team down to lose games on purpose. That's really easy. Building it back up and beating other teams is a whole hell of a lot harder to do, and you just don't have the time to burn on the ELC deal of a player the quality of Jack Eichel.

51 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We want Regier! We want Regier!

Yes, get the old band back together. Regier, Ruff and MILLER!!!  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

:love:  MILLER!

Archived