Congrats to the Leafs

Samifan

3 hours ago, hobie said:

OK, let's say your d-man fantasy is possible who would you give up from the Leafs that would entice TO's trading partner to make the deal, Marner? I would think a player of that ilk would cost TO a lot.

I wouldn't give up any key players. None of the kids move. I'm talking free agency. :)

If the NHL is going to be a player-for-player-only trade league, then teams with strong offence will always have strong offence, teams with weak defence will always have weak defence, and any transaction to try and rectify those shortcomings will result in moving the team to a position of parity (no strengths and no weaknesses) which is really the definition of a .500 team. 

I am strongly opposed to the salary cap in the NHL. It hurts Toronto more than any other team. I want a luxury tax system, and I want the Leafs to be able to buy players again to fill holes on this team. I want free agency back like it used to be. The league is boring from a trade standpoint. :(

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I wouldn't give up any key players. None of the kids move. I'm talking free agency. :)

If the NHL is going to be a player-for-player-only trade league, then teams with strong offence will always have strong offence, teams with weak defence will always have weak defence, and any transaction to try and rectify those shortcomings will result in moving the team to a position of parity (no strengths and no weaknesses) which is really the definition of a .500 team. 

I am strongly opposed to the salary cap in the NHL. It hurts Toronto more than any other team. I want a luxury tax system, and I want the Leafs to be able to buy players again to fill holes on this team. I want free agency back like it used to be. The league is boring from a trade standpoint. :(

Maybe a trade of Marner for a true #1 d-man would transform TO from an offensive force to a d one or a more balanced team. I can't think of a #1 d-man in his prime that makes it to UFAdom. Shattenkirk for instance was expendable by St.L because of a history of injuries and basically he was their #4 d-man that was looking for too much for what he has to offer. That's the type of player that becomes available as a UFA, TO should steer clear.

I agree that the NHL has become handicapped and boring because of the cap but it could still be boring for most fans, most markets if teams like TO, NY Rangers could simply pay to succeed. TO made an unbelievably great trade for Andersen last summer and that's what we need to see more of. The odds should still be in favor of the teams that are willing to spend so long as some of that money is spent on brains. 

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How exactly has the cap hurt the Leafs more than any other team? They've made the finals just as many times since the cap came in as they did without it (since colour TV)....none. 

They've got a good team. They need to add some defence. So just like everyone else, they'll likely have to draft and develop it.

Or pay the Flyers heavily for one of their gems.  :devdance:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

How exactly has the cap hurt the Leafs more than any other team? They've made the finals just as many times since the cap came in as they did without it (since colour TV)....none. 

They've got a good team. They need to add some defence. So just like everyone else, they'll likely have to draft and develop it.

Or pay the Flyers heavily for one of their gems.  :devdance:

The salary cap hurts every team with a solid fanbase that makes money. To use an analogy:

If you were a doctor, and you earned $250,000/yr let's say, imagine how you would feel if the government told you that you could only spend $30,000/yr of your money and the rest has to go to low income people so that they can spend more. That would be the most oppressive system ever.

:notfair:

Instead, we operate (in regular society) under something more like a luxury tax system. The rich get taxed more than the poor, but they can still use their money to buy more things. :)

Granted, the NHL owners in Toronto are happy with the current system. They have fixed costs with the salary cap and are pocketing the leftover revenues (which would be over a hundred million dollars per year easily). Meh, I'm just thinking out loud...

:DancingGrape:

8 hours ago, hobie said:

Maybe a trade of Marner for a true #1 d-man would transform TO from an offensive force to a d one or a more balanced team. I can't think of a #1 d-man in his prime that makes it to UFAdom. Shattenkirk for instance was expendable by St.L because of a history of injuries and basically he was their #4 d-man that was looking for too much for what he has to offer. That's the type of player that becomes available as a UFA, TO should steer clear.

I would avoid Shattenkirk like the plague.  Agreed.  

No way do I trade Marner. I consider him part of the untouchable core group. 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

I agree that the NHL has become handicapped and boring because of the cap but it could still be boring for most fans, most markets if teams like TO, NY Rangers could simply pay to succeed. TO made an unbelievably great trade for Andersen last summer and that's what we need to see more of. The odds should still be in favor of the teams that are willing to spend so long as some of that money is spent on brains. 

I think a properly constructed luxury tax system would strike a balance between those two extremes.

If teams like Toronto, New York, Philly, etc... could spend more to acquire an extra player or two, it rewards the loyalty of the fans in those markets while at the same time keeping a small handful of teams from ruling the league year after year. :)

13 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The salary cap hurts every team with a solid fanbase that makes money. To use an analogy:

If you were a doctor, and you earned $250,000/yr let's say, imagine how you would feel if the government told you that you could only spend $30,000/yr of your money and the rest has to go to low income people so that they can spend more. That would be the most oppressive system ever.

:notfair:

Instead, we operate (in regular society) under something more like a luxury tax system. The rich get taxed more than the poor, but they can still use their money to buy more things. :)

Granted, the NHL owners in Toronto are happy with the current system. They have fixed costs with the salary cap and are pocketing the leftover revenues (which would be over a hundred million dollars per year easily). Meh, I'm just thinking out loud...

:DancingGrape:

The points is, the Leafs haven't made the finals with or without the cap. At least now they have a good group of young players who should be the nucleus for a long time. All they have to do is fill in a few spots. 

You did spend on the best management you could get.

And I can't recall my doctor ever buying free agents.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The points is, the Leafs haven't made the finals with or without the cap. At least now they have a good group of young players who should be the nucleus for a long time. All they have to do is fill in a few spots. 

You did spend on the best management you could get.

And I can't recall my doctor ever buying free agents.

That's because they're too cool for school.  :DancingGrape:  (Okay, gotta admit, the dancing grape is addictive!)

• 2 months later...

I think that last year was an amazing one and we didn't have this kind of season and this core of young talented players for a long time. I think that all the congratulations should go to Babcock and the management for selecting and trusting these young players.All last season they had faith and never lost the faith and managed them perfectly.

In my opinion, the experience that they got last year and also in the playoff will only make them better. I think that we can expect and we have bright future and its only in the second year of the rebuilding process.

In my opinion, they need to continue with the same mindset and building this team for the long run on the young players with adding veteran players that can mentor and guide them. I think that we need to strengthen the defense but as I see it the future is bright and we can look forward to great seasons and great future.

Archived