Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Capitals sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins sweep 4=0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

35 minutes ago, nossagog said:

This was the basic formula teams attempted during last years cup run also.   Everyone wanted to play physical against the Pens and vowed to wear them down.  Not saying that it can't happen, but that formula hasn't worked so far. 

That's pretty much the basic formula teams try to employ against ANY fast skating, skill first, transitional rush teams.

I see it all the time when the TB Lightning are going well and teams will employ that method.

It's a sound enough strategy if:

A) The physical initiating team can actually get a team like the Pens to "buy in" (Flyers seem to be masters at getting the Pens to do so, but others, perhaps not as much). Teams have to get inside the heads of the team they are trying to physically intimidate.

B) The physical initiating team does it the RIGHT way, and doesn't get themselves in penalty trouble by taking dumb calls against then finding themselves on the short end of a potent power play most of the game.

C) The physical initiating team can actually keep up with a team like the Penguins. All the physicality in the world won't mean jack if you can't line guys up for hits or they blow by you in the neutral zone.

Pens have been successful largely because only one sometimes two of the above criteria has been met....but very rarely, all three.

And Pittsburgh simply is too skilled a team for the other to go half assing it on the physical play.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt the Pens either that they TOO have guys that can play the body and go play some nasty hockey if called upon.

Again, to use my Tampa Bay example, the Detroit Red Wings figured playing the physical game against the Bolts in the playoffs the last couple times they met would be the way to go....and it wasn't a bad strategy....except, the Bolts not only bested them in most other areas, but gave the Red Wings some of their own medicine in the form of checking, board play and general rough housing.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

LOL,    Holtby pulled in a 3-1 game at home. 

Well .... I'm pretty sure I picked Holtby as my goalie in last years Playoff Fantasy.  I picked him again this year....both years it appears he / Caps will lose to the Pens.  Hmmm I guess I cursed him pretty good! ;)

EDIT:  On the bright side I picked Guentzel who has another G and A tonight! :cooldude:

Well I was optimistic that the Pens would get one of the first two in DC. Did NOT expect to take two.  Pens weathered storm in the first period and get three on Holtby in the second and win 6-2.   YeeHaa. :eyeroll:  I'll think I'll have another Guiness!!!

4 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well I was optimistic that the Pens would get one of the first two in DC. Did NOT expect to take two.  Pens weathered storm in the first period and get three on Holtby in the second and win 6-2.   YeeHaa. :eyeroll:

Shall we start the Capital death march soon ..... (Caps need to win game 3 or this series is OVER)

puck_daddy_season_preview_washington_capitals.jpg

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Shall we start the Capital death march soon ..... (Caps need to win game 3 or this series is OVER)

puck_daddy_season_preview_washington_capitals.jpg

Too much talent on that team to write them off, but wow. 

Caps still dangerous. A Game 3 win and they are right back in this. One of these games the Pens' recent trend of slow starts is going to come back to bite them. 

@nossagog

@B21

Agree the Caps are still dangerous and I would expect them to be playing desperate hockey for Game #3.  Something is not right though.  They struggled for 2 games vs a very determined Leafs squad.  They struggled last year against a very undermanned Flyers team.  I'm seeing a pattern here again.  For whatever reason, the Caps just don't know how to win in the playoffs.  I don't think the Pens will take them lightly.  On the contrary I think they are beginning to smell blood and will go for the juglar just like they did vs the Blue Jackets. 

Game 3 will definitely be entertaining ......

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm picturing Alex Ovechkin doing this with the Stanley Cup someday:

LMAO. Well, you get your name on the Cup as a coach, so maybe there's that in store for Ovie.

On 4/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, nossagog said:

This was the basic formula teams attempted during last years cup run also.   Everyone wanted to play physical against the Pens and vowed to wear them down.  Not saying that it can't happen, but that formula hasn't worked so far. 

well yeah, I acknowledged that train of thought in my post too.  

For my money, I think Rejean did a  pretty okay job as GM. the W/B Pens are playing well and there seem to be a plethora of homegrown 2nd tier guys who fit nicely with the super stars.

Is this one over already?

Wow. The Capitals cannot get out of their own way, they have half a dozen juicy free agents getting ready to leave town after the season and it is now or never possibly for Ovie. Looking much more like never than now. And i dont see Trotz surviving this unless they make a miracle comeback.

Cudos to the Pens.

Some interesting tidbits I read/heard about this series...

The Pens wins in Games 1 and 2 were the first time all year that the Caps have lost back to back games at home...

The Caps have been outscored 6-1 when Kevin Shattenkirk (-7) is on the ice (#wonthetradedeadline)...

Still - I see tonight as must win for the Penguins.  A win by the Caps shifts the momentum and lets them right back into the series. The Pens have their foot on the Caps' throats right now.  Finish them...

Finish+HIm.jpg

2 hours ago, B21 said:

The Caps have been outscored 6-1 when Kevin Shattenkirk (-7) is on the ice (#wonthetradedeadline)...

Wow....all this high praise for Shattenkirk the last couple seasons leading up to his trade to the Caps (and then THEY were christened THE team to beat post-trade deadline), and the funny thing is now:

A) The Caps aren't perceived as any better WITH Shattenkirk.

B) The Blues are perceived as better WITHOUT him

C) People are starting to wonder whether he will be worth the $$$ he will want to sign him as a UFA.

This keeps up, he may develop the moniker, Kevin ShatTheBedKirk.  :bigteeth:

57 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow....all this high praise for Shattenkirk the last couple seasons leading up to his trade to the Caps (and then THEY were christened THE team to beat post-trade deadline), and the funny thing is now:

A) The Caps aren't perceived as any better WITH Shattenkirk.

B) The Blues are perceived as better WITHOUT him

C) People are starting to wonder whether he will be worth the $$$ he will want to sign him as a UFA.

This keeps up, he may develop the moniker, Kevin ShatTheBedKirk.  :bigteeth:

Ba boom boom ching!

I don't think he this bad but still...

11 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Niskanen to pay the price for a hit to the head on Crosby.

The other angle they just showed was really bad, Niskanen's hands are about a foot apart and he gets him with the stick between right in the head.  Would not be surprised if he's concussed. 

Archived