Teresenko? Ovy? Sid? McDavid? Other?

Buffalo Rick

Can this question be answered?  Is it unfair to ask?  Remember, it's a team sport where one player cannot dominate arguably as much as in the NBA but can more than a football player?  If so, does it matter how far his team goes?  A good example maybe a guy like Cam Atkinson?  Maybe too young but McDavid and Jack Eichel are young.  Abd Jack missed 21 games.  My vote goes to Teresenko.  For raw talent.  Heart?  Not sure.  

The best player is?

WARNING: This post may or may not contain sarcasm.  If you do not know what that is, please disregard this post!!

Ah, this thread should be interesting to monitor. 

It all depends on your perspective, and usually that means the teams that you root for or watch most often.   Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it is a pure homer thing. But when you watch a team all the time, and they have a good player, they you see ALL of the things that they do on a day to day basis.  You tend to appreciate them more than when you see the star player of another team three or four times a year. (But no matter, Crosby is the best, you'd see that if you'd watch more Pens games)

What makes this  harder is that if you look at the star players, they have different roles on each of their teams, and comparing them is almost impossible.   The obvious example of this is Crosby vs. Ovechkin.(By the way the obvious answer is Crosby is better)   Two completely different players with different roles, but great in their own ways.   Comparing them is apples to oranges, so how can you say which one is better.(Hello McFly!, Crosby)

Anyway, you really need to keep an open mind(and watch more Pens games) to be able to fully appreciate all players and their abilities(Crosby, Malkin, Fleury . . . ).

Crosby is the best player in the world. IMO he has been pretty much since he joined the league. I was never on the OV  is best wagon...he was the best goal scorer but Crosby has even passed him at that. OVechkin can hit harder. That's all he's got.

I'd take McDavid over anyone if I was starting a team....Crosby if I wanted one playoff run.

I like Tarasenko.  So much so that I know how to spell his name.

But why is he even in this conversation?

Agree with @flyercanuck

McDavid if I'm starting a team.   Crosby for a playoff run.   Crosby is still best but MacDavid will close ground and pass as he enters his prime and Crosby is coming off his.

McDavid, and it's not close. Tarasenko is quite good, but not on the same level as #97. He'll still be great when Crosby and Oveckin are playing NHL All-Star Legend games.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

What's the question? Who's tallest? The best Scrabble player? Has the most Polynesian blood?

Errrr, you left out juggling, horse shoes, and badminton...cmon, get with the program.....

As for the players who are best at HOCKEY (I assume that is what the OP was attempting to address...probably...maybe....mayhaps...), I'd say hands down, in today's game, and out of the list provided, I'd have to say the top two guys are Crosby and Ovechkin.

Like them or not, they have the personal accomplishments, the established track record through the course of several 82 game seasons, and just guys that EVERYONE knows, are the go-to guys for their respective teams.

And I am not a particular fan of either, but it'd be irresponsible of me to even think that those two weren't "the best" (again, hoping we aren't talking table tennis here) of the four players provided.

And of the two, again, like him or not, Crosby has to be said to be the "better" player because not only does he have similar personal accomplishments as Ovie, but he has two Stanley Cups and three Eastern Conference championships for his teams....while Ovie has yet to find his 1st Cup....or even Conference title for that matter.

Tarasenko, McDavid...if they continue their path, get a few more seasons and post seasons under their belts, maybe win a Cup or two along the way, they can certainly be considered "the best" and equal or eclipse what Crosby and/or Ovechkin have done.

For now, I think the time put in + the accomplishments of #87 and #8 outdo what #91 and #97 have done to this point.

And I give Crosby the top spot, again, due to his two NHL titles.

In a year or two, maybe I change the call to McDavid or Tarasenko.

Especially if a guy like McDavid, whose Oilers are defying all critics so far who say they are not experienced enough yet (and I have been one of those who has been saying that), can win a Cup THIS year!

Archived