Devils win the 2017 Draft Lottery

hf101

I have to say, and maybe I'm biased because the top 3 picks weren't the 3 worst team, nor the golden ticket for a new franchise, but this year's lottery was truly a lottery.  I hope the league keeps this format as bottom teams can't tank to be guaranteed a top pick.  

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I only wish this would have happened last year and the year before when teams actually tanked. I kind of felt bad for Colorado and Vancouver and Las Vegas...until I saw Philly get 2nd overall.

I'm still pinching myself that the Flyers name wasn't called in the 13th spot. 

This new lottery system just adds another level of parity within the league, which is great for the fans.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I only wish this would have happened last year and the year before when teams actually tanked. I kind of felt bad for Colorado and Vancouver and Las Vegas...until I saw Philly get 2nd overall.

They owed the Flyers that one! Lol!

Let's see what happens with this pick? My suggestion would be to trade it for a bunch more! (Yes I  understand that picks don't always pan out, hey some do!) 

30 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

They owed the Flyers that one! Lol!

Let's see what happens with this pick? My suggestion would be to trade it for a bunch more! (Yes I  understand that picks don't always pan out, hey some do!) 

We already have a bunch more...10 I believe after that one.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We already have a bunch more...10 I believe after that one.

I think we have a total of 12, don't we?

Can you imagine?  I got used to so many years with like 5 picks.

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think we have a total of 12, don't we?

Can you imagine?  I got used to so many years with like 5 picks.

Ask and you shall receive ....here is run down on picks for Flyers 2017 draft.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2017&round=3&tid=22&otid=3

Round 1:

• Flyers #2 Overall

Round 2:

• Flyers #44 Overall

Round 3:

• Flyers # 75 Overall

• Flyers # 81 Overall (from Boston for Zac Rinaldo)

Round 4:

• Flyers #106 Overall

• Flyers #107 Overall (from Tampa Bay for Mark Streit)

• Flyers #108 Overall (from NYI for 4th Round 2016 pick)

Round 5:

• Flyers #137 Overall

Round 6:

• Flyers #138 Overall

Round 7:

• Flyers #191 Overall (conditional pick from NJD for Petr Straka) – condition met

• Flyers #199 Overall

• Flyers #200 Overall (conditional pick from Tampa Bay for Mark Streit) – condition met

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Round 1:

• Flyers #2 Overall

Round 2:

• Flyers #44 Overall

Round 3:

• Flyers # 75 Overall

• Flyers # 81 Overall (from Boston for Zac Rinaldo)

Round 4:

• Flyers #106 Overall

• Flyers #107 Overall (from Tampa Bay for Mark Streit)

• Flyers #108 Overall (from NYI for 4th Round 2016 pick)

I know this is an arbitrary cutoff, but 7 in the top 110 picks is pretty impressive.

First pick in the draft and return of Kovie to the NHL rumors getting louder every single day. Absolutely critical summer for the Devils.

How many years is this now that a Taylor Hall led team has the first pick? :VeryCool:

I just wish the Flyers didn't get whoever the Devils don't take. Although it could definitely add another wrinkle to the rivalry.

As I said in the other thread, I'm happy with either Patrick or Hischier. They both fill huge needs and could be keys to the future (including keeping Hall when his contract is up in 3 years). The Devils scouts probably saw a lot of Patrick while keeping an eye on Quenneville in Brandon last year. Hischier sounds like he might have the higher offensive potential, but could also be a little riskier. Between this pick and McLeod having a strong playoff in Mississauga, Quenneville showing some signs of potentially being a good middle six guy, and Zacha looking better late in the season, the future up front doesn't look so bad. The defense on the other hand...I don't really want to talk about. I'm trying to stay positive here.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That goal was pretty slick, which seems to describe his game in general. I've really been impressed with how mature his defensive game is. I can see where the Datsyuk style comparison I've read in a couple places comes from.

I also think Zacha and Mueller have looked really solid so far this preseason. And this Jesper Bratt kid looks like he might be a late round gem. I think he needs at least a year down in Junior (I believe he's going to play for London) though. McLeod should probably go back for another year too. Although with the Zajac injury and the possibility of Boyle (who was recently diagnosed with a treatable form of bone marrow cancer) also not being ready at the start of the season, he might at least get a look to start.

Overall I've been encouraged by how most of the kids have looked. The team is still probably a couple years away from challenging for a playoff spot (especially in the murderer's row the Metro is becoming) but I think they're definitely on the right track.

Archived