Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

24 minutes ago, icehole said:

Can you explain what you saw in the videos that made you lean Nico?

Just off the top of my head:

• very quick on skates
  • very quick release and VERY accurate shot
  • protects the puck extremely well when skating through traffic ....
  • can accurately pass the puck when necessary, but IMO has a shoot first mentality (something the Flyers desperately need)

Both players will bring different and unique skill sets to the NHL.  Both skill sets the Flyers are in dire need of.  Patrick Nolan, the player prototype 1C who will ultimately replace Giroux or Nico Hischier, who listed as a Center, can also play Wing and could be that elite playmaker the Flyers are seeking.  Honestly you can't go wrong with either and we will get the player the Devils don't want.   

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, icehole said:

That's great if you get him with the 5-10 pick, but I want something special at 2.

The problem is that, by all accounts, there isn't anything "special" after #2. If the Devils (or whoever trades for the #1 pick) see the same thing you do and take Patrick, what's the alternative at #2?

The sad thing is (#JVR) sometimes there just isn't "something special" at #2.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

The problem is that, by all accounts, there isn't anything "special" after #2. If the Devils (or whoever trades for the #1 pick) see the same thing you do and take Patrick, what's the alternative at #2?

The sad thing is (#JVR) sometimes there just isn't "something special" at #2.

I completely agree.  There's a difference between accepting what comes to you at 2, and preferring Hischier over Patrick though.

I've actually started looking past Nico to the 3, 4, and 5 choices.  It's all just guessing right now, but Nico isn't my choice if I had the to pick between the 2.  Ill go back and watch some videos again.

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Nico Hischier, who listed as a Center, can also play Wing and could be that elite playmaker the Flyers are seeking. 

Why are the Flyers seeking "an elite playmaker"?

The main problem this team has is finishing and goal scoring.

For me, the last thing they need in the short to medium term is another setup guy.

23 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Honestly you can't go wrong with either and we will get the player the Devils don't want.  

That's really the long and the short of it - the Flyers are at the mercy of whoever picks #1.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Why are the Flyers seeking "an elite playmaker"?

The main problem this team has is finishing and goal scoring.

Sorry my definition of playmaker is someone who can make the play and score goals..... I never intended it for someone to be a set-up man.  My bad for not expressing myself as clearly as I should .....

I want a shoot first mentality..... totally agree with your post.

29 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just off the top of my head:

• very quick on skates
  • very quick release and VERY accurate shot
  • protects the puck extremely well when skating through traffic ....
  • can accurately pass the puck when necessary, but IMO has a shoot first mentality (something the Flyers desperately need)

Both players will bring different and unique skill sets to the NHL.  Both skill sets the Flyers are in dire need of.  Patrick Nolan, the player prototype 1C who will ultimately replace Giroux or Nico Hischier, who listed as a Center, can also play Wing and could be that elite playmaker the Flyers are seeking.  Honestly you can't go wrong with either and we will get the player the Devils don't want.   

No doubt there is skill there.  Patrick's highlight video are nice too.  Either way, it's exciting.  Patrick just excites me more...probably because I want size.  

2 minutes ago, icehole said:

No doubt there is skill there.  Patrick's highlight video are nice too.  Either way, it's exciting.  Patrick just excites me more...probably because I want size.  

For myself, I like the intangibles that Patrick brings to the table. I've seen situations where he is like a man possessed on the forecheck. That is imposing your will on opponents. If anything fits the Flyer way of playing, it's the bull in the china shop mentality....unfortunately, that kind of play inevitably leads to injuries. Smashing D men and controlling the play down low, extending the cycle of a puck, these are things that translate nicely to the NHL, especially factoring in the size of Nolan. Just stuff to think about as we pour over the negatives and positives of each kid.

The one thing that comes before size for me is dynamic skating. This team needs to get faster, it's the never ending call for GM's, improve your team speed. It creates mis-matches that other teams have trouble handling. We have seen it first hand with the Leafs. *If* Nolan is the pick, they had better be damn sure he's an above average skater. I'm not huge on work out warriors, but I have to admit, this years combine is gonna be interesting.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

Can you explain what you saw in the videos that made you lean Nico?

Yeah i could but i don't feel like being flooded with 1,000 post of why my opinion is wrong and someone else is right. So i'll leave it at i just can see Nico fitting with the Flyer more and living up to potential.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

McLeod, to me, is a #2. Zacha doesn't look like a centre. So they're still looking for a #1. I have no clue whether they feel that's Nolan or Nico. 

I have a tendency to think that way also. McLeod could prove us wrong, but as of right now, the Devils have two vets in Henrique and Zajac, and two highly thought of prospects at center and maybe, just maybe no true #1 guy in the middle. I like McLeod and Quenville as prospects, but nothing screams out to me as star material.

Another thing to factor in, I really liked Miles Wood's play last year as a 3rd line winger. He was impressive for a rookie. He has the chance to crack the top 6 as a rookie and be something like an earlier version of Marchand. Like Wood's wheels also, he's miscast in the bottom six for my money. I doubt if Woods upside alters any pick the Devils make in the 1st round, but it is a small part of the puzzle.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

For myself, I like the intangibles that Patrick brings to the table. I've seen situations where he is like a man possessed on the forecheck. That is imposing your will on opponents. If anything fits the Flyer way of playing, it's the bull in the china shop mentality....unfortunately, that kind of play inevitably leads to injuries. Smashing D men and controlling the play down low, extending the cycle of a puck, these are things that translate nicely to the NHL, especially factoring in the size of Nolan. Just stuff to think about as we pour over the negatives and positives of each kid.

The one thing that comes before size for me is dynamic skating. This team needs to get faster, it's the never ending call for GM's, improve your team speed. It creates mis-matches that other teams have trouble handling. We have seen it first hand with the Leafs. *If* Nolan is the pick, they had better be damn sure he's an above average skater. I'm not huge on work out warriors, but I have to admit, this years combine is gonna be interesting.

You nailed it.  I think we could look at 20 videos of 20 different players and we could see guys sniping shots.  At those levels, you get a lot of open looks.  I'm looking for a guy that can fight through the situations where there's nothing there.

I only watched about 3 minutes of that video above, but I didn't see that situation where Hischier had to make something from nothing.  I lie, there was one really nice move where he made the defensemen look stupid, but other than that, he was pretty much wide open.  I also don't remember seeing any assists in those clips.

If Patrick couldn't skate, I'd pass on him.  It looks like Hischier has the skating advantage but Patrick is no slug out there.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i could but i don't feel like being flooded with 1,000 post of why my opinion is wrong and someone else is right. So i'll leave it at i just can see Nico fitting with the Flyer more and living up to potential.

Am I saying you're wrong?  How can anyone say you're wrong?  This is a forum for opinion.  We're giving opinions of players that haven't played 1 game in the NHL.

I'm glad there's a debate.  If there was a clear #1 and the flyers didn't get him, it would be very depressing.  Because there is so much debate, we can feel comfortable with either guy.

Nico played on the youngest team in the CHL this past season so that has to be taken into consideration his first by the way. And it was Patrick's 3rd which he didn't finish due to injury. Nico however accounted for 40% of his team's goals so he can score.

11 minutes ago, icehole said:

Because there is so much debate, we can feel comfortable with either guy.

Nice got blown up by his WJC performance which is a tourney for mostly 19 year olds and he just turned 18 his past January.

He was awesome in it and was a thorn in the US's side....check out some of his highlights.

USA coach Bob Motzko made no secret of the fact that his team is extremely lucky to be moving on to the semifinal. He also made no secret of his admiration for Hischier.

“(Hischier) was the best player we’ve seen in this tournament,” Motzko said. “We tried all four lines against him and I thought he was playing every shift because every time he got out there, the ice was tilted. It was the first thing we said when we got into the lockerroom, ‘That’s the best player we’ve seen in the tournament.’ ”

Well Canucks want the #2 pick bad so would it be worth it to fall back to 5th??

HHHHhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm....

This mock has Patrick falling to the Flyers at #2...

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-mock-draft-guillaume-lepage-projections/c-289186534

this one the opposite...

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/5/1/15499414/2017-nhl-mock-draft-devils-nolan-patrick-nico-hischier-flyers-stars-avalanche-lottery

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

The great thing is the Flyers get a great player either way.

Back in 2007 my fear was Kane going 1st like he did and the Flyers getting JVR whom has work ethic issues which remain today.

These two don't have those concerns. WIN WIN!

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Canucks want the #2 pick bad so would it be worth it to fall back to 5th??

I maybe do it only if I get their 5th this year and their 1st round next year.   I think Vancouver will actually be worse next year with or without this year's top 2 and the draft next year is supposed to be better.

I'm satisfied with simply using the pick, though, and think that's really the way the Flyers should go.

Just now, ruxpin said:

I maybe do it only if I get their 5th this year and their 1st round next year.   I think Vancouver will actually be worse next year with or without this year's top 2 and the draft next year is supposed to be better.

I'm satisfied with simply using the pick, though, and think that's really the way the Flyers should go.

Yeah, given the supposed strength of next year's draft, I would have to strongly consider an offer that included next year's first from a team like Colorado, Vancouver, Vegas, or Arizona. But I still think I stay and use the pick this year. 

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah, given the supposed strength of next year's draft, I would have to strongly consider an offer that included next year's first from a team like Colorado, Vancouver, Vegas, or Arizona. But I still think I stay and use the pick this year. 

If this were three or four years ago I would, but this year just showed there's no guarantee that even Vegas will be in the top three because of the way they tweaked the lottery (which, ironically, is the only reason we're even having this discussion). 

I'm with you. I use the pick, but the 5th and the first round next year would give me pause. 

I often wonder why we never see negative clips of players about to be drafted. All you get is the very best the kid has to offer. Why no video of him shying away from contact, giving up on a play, turning the puck over, bad play without the puck. If they are gonna offer video of the best things, I'd love to see the worst, just to give the good stuff some proper context.

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I often wonder why we never see negative clips of players about to be drafted. All you get is the very best the kid has to offer. Why no video of him shying away from contact, giving up on a play, turning the puck over, bad play without the puck. If they are gonna offer video of the best things, I'd love to see the worst, just to give the good stuff some proper context.

It's why I prefer to watch a shift by shift video over highlights. You can make anyone look good in highlights.

21 hours ago, icehole said:

Hischier just looks like a guy that might take a year or two to make the team

Ya think?

He doesn't even turn 19 until next January.

Do you think Patrick is NHL-ready? He's bigger and almost a year older, so he might be able to play in the NHL right away, but personally I doubt it. All players, even those picked at #2, take time. They're kids still.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Ya think?

He doesn't even turn 19 until next January.

Do you think Patrick is NHL-ready? He's bigger and almost a year older, so he might be able to play in the NHL right away, but personally I doubt it. All players, even those picked at #2, take time. They're kids still.

From watching some of the videos, it does look like Patrick is ready to play in the NHL...certainly more than Hischier.

Was it you who said they'd rather see game tape than highlight reels?  I completely agree.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to get game tape of these players.  My opinion of these two from the clips, is that Patrick is using his size and determination to make things happen.  He also looks like he knows when to pass.  Hischier's clips show how he doesn't make a mistake when he has the open shot.  I didn't see many assists from him and I didn't see a lot of creative play making.  He doesn't stand out to me so I feel like he'll be slightly better than average.  The experts seem to like him though, so maybe they see something that I dont.

Why is there no talk about Vilardi?  He looks like he has some skill, and he's got size to go with it.

I'm just on the very outside, throwing my opinion in there.  I haven't seen very much of any of these guys.

32 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

almost a year older

4 months does not make a year.

At least down here in Merica anyways...not sure how a Canuck calendar works...guess 6 months with no sunlight in some spots make you think only a day has passed...

:ph34r:

48 minutes ago, icehole said:

Why is there no talk about Vilardi?  He looks like he has some skill, and he's got size to go with it.

I like Vilardi, I really do. He has some very nice qualities. He competes hard, cares about play in his own zone, and best of all, has a God given ultra quick, deadly accurate release. He should score at the NHL level. I have him penciled in as 35 goal scorer in a few years (realistically, probably 4 years for that). He does not look slow at the OHL level, but he does not look like a speed demon either. That is his biggest drawback in my mind. He might only be an average NHL skater, which is ok, but will prevent him from reaching star status. Gabe is one of the players who will benefit LARGE from a strong showing at the NHL Combine. If he is smart, he's working on that stuff as I type. 

Archived