Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

If my doctors tell me there's no issues with Patricks health, I'm taking him. He's been the #1 pick for 3 years. Now he's still considered that as long as health holds up, otherwise Hischier. Good enough for me. I thought we'd be getting a big ? 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Flyers don't necessarily need physicality and forechecking in the top six, BUT, when you have those things combined with skill and vision, it makes you pretty hard to stop. A great example is Ryan Getzlaf, no matter who they put on him, he's tough to contain, tough to knock off the puck, tough to stop period. Physicality is not at the front of what we need, but making this team a B-I-T-C-H to play against would certainly not hurt. Another example of skill and physicality is Auston Matthews. Of course, Nolan is not in his league, but a fine example of how tough it can be to defend the combo of skill and physicality.

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If my doctors tell me there's no issues with Patricks health, I'm taking him. He's been the #1 pick for 3 years. Now he's still considered that as long as health holds up, otherwise Hischier. Good enough for me. I thought we'd be getting a big ? 

What do you consider "no issues"?  He's had an injury history but what type of injuries were they (I know I saw it somewhere but I don't remember where)?

I know there was a hernia.  Is that a nagging injury that could occur again?  Does he have any of those types of problems?  The problem is, if he's available at 2, I think the devils didn't take him because of his injury history.  So if their doctors were scared, do the flyers want to take that risk?

I would take that risk.  The flyers aren't in the 2 spot because we had to endure a tank all season...this is somewhat of a gift.  So i say take the risk and go big.  If it works out, you could have a difference maker for a long time.  If he is injury prone, you'll still have some exciting times, and you still might get more production than what you would get from your original draft position (13th?).

I look at the Lindros situation.  Maybe if the flyers went with someone that wasn't injured as much, they might have a cup or two in that era.  That era was so much fun though, and it's because Lindros was just so dominate when he was on the ice.  That team was the team that made me such a huge flyers fan.  If they didn't get him, maybe I wouldn't even be a fan...and everyone's life would be more enjoyable on this forum:hehe:

51 minutes ago, icehole said:

What do you consider "no issues"?

No issues would be if my doctor (doctor, NOT McCrossin) said there were no issues. I have no idea if any of his health problems will be reoccurring...that's what docs are for.

He's had an injury history but what type of injuries were they (I know I saw it somewhere but I don't remember where)?

I know there was a hernia.  Is that a nagging injury that could occur again?  Does he have any of those types of problems?  The problem is, if he's available at 2, I think the devils didn't take him because of his injury history.  So if their doctors were scared, do the flyers want to take that risk?

He's broken his collarbone twice, but it's been a few years since the last time. The hernia is the thing that bothers me. I don't care what the Devils do...if they pass on him I want to know that the Flyers have done a total checkup on his condition.

I would take that risk.  The flyers aren't in the 2 spot because we had to endure a tank all season...this is somewhat of a gift.  So i say take the risk and go big.  If it works out, you could have a difference maker for a long time.  If he is injury prone, you'll still have some exciting times, and you still might get more production than what you would get from your original draft position (13th?).

We should get a better player than we would have at 13. But I also don't want a guy who's out all the time and playing hurt and his career is shortened because of it. If the Devils take Hischier and Phillys doctor seems to think there could be an ongoing medical condition that will continue to rear its ugly head, there are still players that should be better than what we'd have got at 13. Vilardi/Mittlestadt/Glass all project to be good centres...there are defensive prospects that could become great players, whether it's as trade chips or Flyers who turn other D prospects into trade chips.

I'd prefer a centre though.

I look at the Lindros situation.  Maybe if the flyers went with someone that wasn't injured as much, they might have a cup or two in that era.  That era was so much fun though, and it's because Lindros was just so dominate when he was on the ice.  That team was the team that made me such a huge flyers fan.  If they didn't get him, maybe I wouldn't even be a fan...and everyone's life would be more enjoyable on this forum:hehe:

Nobody in this draft is Lindros.

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Your doctors or the Flyers doctors?

Because I have no idea who your doctors are, but I'm almost just about kinda more apt to trust them. 

1 hour ago, icehole said:

What do you consider "no issues"?  He's had an injury history but what type of injuries were they (I know I saw it somewhere but I don't remember where)?

I think he's broken his collar bone twice hasn't he?

1 hour ago, icehole said:

The Lindros situation was complicated.  It wasn't as simple as Eric was just injury prone.  Yes, he didn't skate with his head up, but I'm not sure when he would have learned the consequences of this.  Everyone in juniors bounced off him when he was 17.  

Then he got to the pros and long before he took hits from not looking up, every pain in the arse wanna be tough guy in the league started taking runs at him, spearing him, leaving their skates (because he was so damn big), slashing him, and throwing in an extra or late hit every opportunity they got.   

Half the time they were even penalized for it and the Flyers PP made them pay (especially after LeClair and Rico joined the team).  But no one cared.  The other half of the time, the refs and the league and apparently the Flyers all figured, well he wants to be a tough guy, let him deal with it.

The problem was he was a MASSIVE INVESTMENT.  I don't care if you friggin' hate the guy.  You built a new arena for him... YOU PROTECT THAT ASSET.  The Flyers should have spent Eric's first two years (since they stunk anyway) obliterating anyone who so much as farted in his general direction.  PROTECT THAT PLAYER.  

Gretzky and Lemieux didn't just happen on their own.  Even Messier had some help.  CLARKE HAD A LOT OF HELP AND PROTECTION.  If the Flyers had taken half the effort of protecting Lindros from the stupid B.S. of the Kasparituses and Darcy Tucker types as they did in telling the press how much more work Eric needed to do, we'd be thinking of the '90's and early '00's as the Glory days, not the mid friggin' 70's. 

Which is all to say that Nolan Patrick isn't a generational talent that will change the way the game is played.  I think if the docs think he's not more prone to long absences for his injuries and he's what's left at #2, you probably have to take him.

The league is different now.  If Lindros was playing now, he'd be unstoppable.  Since Crosby came along, the superstars have the league protecting them now.  Teams can't clutch and grab a superior player into submission anymore.  This also added to his wear and tear.  

Which is all to say that the Flyers won't need to protect Nolan the way they failed to protect Lindros.  Patrick isn't as good.  This isn't as much of an investment.  He'll have to take his fair share of extra hits just the way McDavid did, just the way Konecney did this year.  But that will die down and won't get infinitely worse and become part of the way every NHL team plays the game the way it had by 1995 after 3 years of Lindros being in the league.  Mostly because Patrick isn't going to kill teams all by himself and mostly because the NHL doesn't want that anymore.

This got way too long.  

Flyers trade their number 1, 2nd and 4th pick of next year's draft and a prospect to devils for their number 1 pick and we get both players this year.

And this thread will have been closed for the season with a belly full of talk.

Who would pull that trigger?

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Flyers trade their number 1, 2nd and 4th pick of next year's draft and a prospect to devils for their number 1 pick and we get both players this year.

Not the Devils.

Devil's with 100% certainty would not do that trade.  A #1 overall pick for what will most likely be 18-20th overall (hopefully a late 1st).  You would have to pony up at least our next 2 1st and a solid prospect.

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

Pick

Team   Player Position School Height Weight

Round 1

Skip To Round:  1  •  2  •  3  •  4  •  5  •  6  •  7
1 New Jersey logo New Jersey Cody Glass C Portland (WHL) 6' 2" 179
2 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Nico Hischier C Halifax (QMJHL) 6' 0" 174
3 Dallas logo Dallas Nolan Patrick C Brandon (WHL) 6' 2.5" 198
4 Colorado logo Colorado Gabriel Vilardi C Windsor (OHL) 6' 2" 192
5 Vancouver logo Vancouver Michael Rasmussen C Tri-City (WHL) 6' 5"

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

Pick

Team   Player Position School Height Weight

Round 1

Skip To Round:  1  •  2  •  3  •  4  •  5  •  6  •  7
1 New Jersey logo New Jersey Cody Glass C Portland (WHL) 6' 2" 179
2 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Nico Hischier C Halifax (QMJHL) 6' 0" 174
3 Dallas logo Dallas Nolan Patrick C Brandon (WHL) 6' 2.5" 198
4 Colorado logo Colorado Gabriel Vilardi C Windsor (OHL) 6' 2" 192
5 Vancouver logo Vancouver Michael Rasmussen C Tri-City (WHL) 6' 5"

Wow...Glass looks like he's going to be good but 1st overall?!?!

Dallas would freak if they got Patrick 3rd.

41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yeah that's kinda crazy. FWIW I saw my nephews on the weekend, one of whom played against Glass in Midget. His scouting report on Glass: talented, smart, works really hard. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

no way Glass goes first...   that would be a head-scratcher for sure.   I think they pick Nico but hope they pick Patrick.   I rather have Nico personally but am happy either way.   Would the Devils trade the first to the Avs and be able land Glass?   It would make more sense to me since they could gain another asset in the trade.   Not sure they do it but just wondering....

15 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Never to a divisional rival let alone the Devils and and why this year?  

Plus you absolutely NEver know what the Devils are going to do next year.  I doubt they'll be good, but if they make the playoffs, you're getting screwed.  

If next year was an amazingly deep draft and I hated both Nico and Patrick, I'd consider it, but the possibility of giving up a #2 overall and ending up with a #15 and #20 next year instead seems a bit crazy.

Is Corey Schneider involved?

55 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

no way Glass goes first...   that would be a head-scratcher for sure.   I think they pick Nico but hope they pick Patrick.   I rather have Nico personally but am happy either way.   Would the Devils trade the first to the Avs and be able land Glass?   It would make more sense to me since they could gain another asset in the trade.   Not sure they do it but just wondering....

Would Patrick or Nico help the Avs more than what they'd give up for him?

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah that's kinda crazy. FWIW I saw my nephews on the weekend, one of whom played against Glass in Midget. His scouting report on Glass: talented, smart, works really hard. 

I think he looks like a great prospect. I'd just be scared as heck taking him 1st and watching Patrick become a star on the Flyers.

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think he looks like a great prospect. I'd just be scared as heck taking him 1st and watching Patrick become a star on the Flyers.

At the same time I'm scared as heck of watching Patrick play 12 games a year and get hurt all the time.  If they take him, I hope they at least have some reassurance that he can be somewhat durable.

Not sure if this has been posted,  I didn't go back through the thread.   Interesting article.   Tell me after listening to what Halifax GM Cam Russell says about Nico Hischier that you don't want him on the Flyers.    Also clarifies that Nico is not on loan to Halifax,  so its the Flyers or Halifax for him,  no AHL.    Hope NJ doesn't read this article. :P

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/halifax-gm-cam-russell-nico-hischier-youre-getting-star-long-time

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Good question... I have no idea!

This goes back to my problem with the Avs... if Duchene and Landeskog are so great, why does Sakic always seem to have them on the block? 

I just don't see the Avs really being interested in trading them and certainly not for a meh #1 or #2 in a meh year. 

10 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Not sure if this has been posted,  I didn't go back through the thread.   Interesting article.   Tell me after listening to what Halifax GM Cam Russell says about Nico Hischier that you don't want him on the Flyers.    Also clarifies that Nico is not on loan to Halifax,  so its the Flyers or Halifax for him,  no AHL.    Hope NJ doesn't read this article. :P

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/halifax-gm-cam-russell-nico-hischier-youre-getting-star-long-time

Hopefully the Devils don't take him.  His game has seemed to be more dynamic from what I've read and the clips I've seen.  

Unfortunately I don't think Shero is a moron.  He will take the best player at #1. 

Archived