Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

you take the BPA without question.

I don't think that is a question. The issue is just agree or finding "who" that is. Thankful just to have the option. Hexy will have a chance to find "his leader' of the future i expect him to due his due diligence with this pick. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just throwing this out randomly, but you also have the option of trading back for another first next year, say with Arizona to #7. Arizona isn't going to get much better with either Patrick or Hischier, so you could take the chance on them falling in at around 3-4 again and maybe winning THAT lottery. Even if you don't, the draft seems stronger than this one at first blush as far as the top-10. I wouldn't go this route, but it is a possibility to consider.

“Any player, as you guys know from my history, they gotta come in and they gotta earn it. We draft a player at number two and he comes in and earns it then he’ll be on our team.”

It’ll be up to the player. Hextall isn’t going to sway from his patient approach. “If he needs more time, he’s gonna need more time.”

I think whomever it is they will do what is best for the kid.

Any thoughts on Gabriel Vilardi? I'm reading his profile, he is a big center who plays physical and has a great shot. One thing that caught my eye is he is a top puck possession guy who makes his linemates better. I haven't seen any of the top 3 centers play to really make a decision on who we would want,  but I like the stats on Vilardi.

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm just throwing this out randomly, but you also have the option of trading back for another first next year, say with Arizona to #7. Arizona isn't going to get much better with either Patrick or Hischier, so you could take the chance on them falling in at around 3-4 again and maybe winning THAT lottery. Even if you don't, the draft seems stronger than this one at first blush as far as the top-10. I wouldn't go this route, but it is a possibility to consider.

Sorry i'm taking the bird in hand. Screw the one in the bush.

:VeryCool:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry i'm taking the bird in hand. Screw the one is the bush.

I agree. But there is a lot of debate over how good the guys at the top of this draft will actually be once they hit the NHL, especially Patrick due to his age. If you've been scouting them and feel that in the end the drop off between 2 and 7 isn't bad, ie, they're all going to be solid second liners with some measure of first line upside (with no guaranteed first liners) and you have the chance to get a high first next year, it's something Hextall has to at least examine. Ultimately, picking either Hischier or Patrick is the safe move, and will be a solid pick. But who doesn't like to gamble every now and again?

What a weekend. First, my Washington Redskins had a KILLER draft. Then, the Flyers end up with the 2nd overall choice (Ed was pulling strings from up above). As for who to pick, it's got to be Hischier, although everything depends on what Jersey does. If Jersey selects Patrick, then Hischier it should be. If Jersey selects Hischier, I'm trading down a couple of places for Cody Glass or Gabriel Vilardi.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

But who doesn't like to gamble every now and again?

Not i. The way it just fell in their lap almost i have to take Nico when he is there. Just my opinion. Giroux replacement will be secured.

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Any thoughts on Gabriel Vilardi? I'm reading his profile, he is a big center who plays physical and has a great shot. One thing that caught my eye is he is a top puck possession guy who makes his linemates better. I haven't seen any of the top 3 centers play to really make a decision on who we would want,  but I like the stats on Vilardi.

Vilardi can't skate like Patrick or Hischier....that's why he's not in the top 2 conversation.

Maybe the Devils take him...:hehe:

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Vilardi can't skate like Patrick or Hischier....that's why he's not in the top 2 conversation.

Maybe the Devils take him...:hehe:

Plus i'm reading about questions with his knee too.

Not i. The way it just fell in their lap almost i have to take Nico when he is there. Just my opinion. Giroux replacement will be secured.

Agreed. I expect the Flyers to go center heavy this draft. Although, the Flyers do have some good centers in the system (Vorobyov and Bunnaman are going to be very good players when they arrive), they need a game breaker and Nico is it. As I said above though, if Nico is gone when they pick, my hope is that either Glass or Vilardi will be the guy.

I hear you but why?

A couple of things. First, Patrick is a late 98 birth year guy. I know some don't make a big deal out of it, but when you've got anywhere from 5 months to nearly a year on most players in the draft year, you have to wonder how much of that is because they're physically ahead of some of the guys. I'm very eerie of that. Second, Patrick's health issues need to be addressed. First he tears up his guts at the start of the year and then he got hurt again in the playoffs. There's something britlle about him.

As for Glass, I've watched him several times this year and every time I've watched him, I've come away more and more impressed. On top of it, Glass is nearly a year younger than Patrick and will probably be the same size as Patrick once he's done growing (Glass is 6'2, 179 pounds where Nolan is 6'3, 196 pounds). On top of it, Glass is just as good a skater as Patrick is and I think he's just as good offensively.

I guess the Flyers really can't go wrong in any direction they choose, I'm just stating that I'm not a Patrick fan and would rather see a guy like Glass or Vilardi (skating issues aside, the only thing he needs is some leg strength and power skating lessons to correct the first step issue) who are younger by rougly 7 and 10 months respectively. For some, that's not much of an issue but it means a lot in player development.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry i'm taking the bird in hand. Screw the one in the bush.

:VeryCool:

There are times I prefer the bird in the bush, though.  But maybe that's just me.

Thinking out loud, we could upgrade our forward corps in a big way in two years.  Shoot--our future "fourth line center" could be on par with our current 2-3.  And yes, we might have a fourth line with some scoring capacity!

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know nothing about him other than his name and some scouting I've read this morning, so clueless question alert:   Is he good enough to talk about putting him on the top line at center and moving Giroux to wing?  Then you keep Fil on 2nd line until Rubstov or someone is ready?

Nico was considered to be the next Pavel Datsyuk during the World Juniors last Jan.  Here is his play vs USA.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it earlier but Nolan Patrick played with Ivan Provorov a year ago with the Wheat Kings.

I'm not sure whether it was here or somewhere else I was reading today, but I did see that.   

That may have some added benefit. 

At this point, I don't think I'll be disappointed on draft day either way.   Who knows what happens down the road when one is hoisting the Cup for Chicago and the other is being shipped to Toronto for a crap dman, but on draft day I'll be excited with either one.

In case anyone wanted to know ...here is list of all picks the Flyers have for the 2017 Draft.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2017&round=3&tid=22&otid=3

Round 1:

• Flyers #2 Overall

Round 2:

• Flyers #44 Overall

Round 3:

• Flyers # 75 Overall

• Flyers # 81 Overall (from Boston for Zac Rinaldo)

Round 4:

• Flyers #106 Overall

• Flyers #107 Overall (from Tampa Bay for Mark Streit)

• Flyers #108 Overall (from NYI for 4th Round 2016 pick)

Round 5:

• Flyers #137 Overall

Round 6:

• Flyers #138 Overall

Round 7:

• Flyers #191 Overall (conditional pick from NJD for Petr Straka) – condition met

• Flyers #199 Overall

• Flyers #200 Overall (conditional pick from Tampa Bay for Mark Streit) – condition met

Archived