Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm genuinely torn on the Hischier vs Patrick question. I am concerned about Patrick's looooong injury history. My nephew played AAA Midget with him and he was hurt often even back then. It's just weird. 

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. We take whoever the Deb's don't take. Trading down always sounds like it's a great idea, but it's easier said then done.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I know nothing about him other than his name and some scouting I've read this morning, so clueless question alert:   Is he good enough to talk about putting him on the top line at center and moving Giroux to wing?  Then you keep Fil on 2nd line until Rubstov or someone is ready?

When you look at it realistically, this is a team that took 3 years to decide that Schenn is a winger, so any moves they make from the wing to C is met with a degree of skepticism in my eyes.

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm genuinely torn on the Hischier vs Patrick question. I am concerned about Patrick's looooong injury history. My nephew played AAA Midget with him and he was hurt often even back then. It's just weird. 

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. We take whoever the Deb's don't take. Trading down always sounds like it's a great idea, but it's easier said then done.

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

When you look at it realistically, this is a team that took 3 years to decide that Schenn is a winger, so any moves they make from the wing to C is met with a degree of skepticism in my eyes.

Well, they did move Giroux to center from wing. So you'd just be moving him back...

But he was a RW if I recall. We don't need another one of those, there's already one playing LW on the big club (Konecny) because they have too many RWs.

33 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well, they did move Giroux to center from wing. So you'd just be moving him back...

But he was a RW if I recall. We don't need another one of those, there's already one playing LW on the big club (Konecny) because they have too many RWs.

Giroux started playing center in Juniors before he came to the Flyers

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

If I'm Hexy...maybe package a 3rd and a 4th to move up into end of 1st round or top of 2nd round?  Thoughts.....

Again...just thinking outside the box here.....

I'm not sure I do that. I'm not sure why another team does that other than to take advantage of my reason for the Flyers not doing it:  In a flat draft where everyone seems to be equally a crap shoot, I stick with volume over higher.   It's the old "I have a better chance of winning the lottery if I have more tickets" idea.   

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I, too, am happy with either, but the more people keep mentioning Patrick's injury history the more I'm falling in the Hischier camp.  Plus, the Hischier highlight reel that (I think) @pilldoc posted was just sick.

46 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Giroux started playing center in Juniors before he came to the Flyers

Yeah, but he was already drafted, I believe.  I think that was done at the Flyers request, wasn't it?  And  I really want to say I remember his playing quite a bit of wing when he first came up.

Just now, ruxpin said:

Yeah, but he was already drafted, I believe.  I think that was done at the Flyers request, wasn't it?  And  I really want to say I remember his playing quite a bit of wing when he first came up.

As I recall, yes. Hockey Reference has him listed as a RW for the Flyers in both 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

As I recall, yes. Hockey Reference has him listed as a RW for the Flyers in both 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.

Thank you.  The memory on such things is failing me, so I didn't want to insist on it.

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I, too, am happy with either, but the more people keep mentioning Patrick's injury history the more I'm falling in the Hischier camp.  Plus, the Hischier highlight reel that (I think) @pilldoc posted was just sick.

I'm going to check in with my Halifax buddies who watch him regularly and report back. The idea of taking a Swiss player with the 2nd overall pick is just weird I must say.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I'm going to check in with my Halifax buddies who watch him regularly and report back. The idea of taking a Swiss player with the 2nd overall pick is just weird I must say.

I kind of wish I could say I didn't think the same thing. 

37 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I never heard that song until the Super Bowl a couple years back

Great song!  One of my all time favorite Cheap Trick songs.  I remember the commercial......

However...we are getting off topic here........

Interesting:

Said Hextall: "I know everybody talks about [those] two - and there's two very good players - but there are a couple of other guys who are pretty darn good, too. I don't know that it's a total slam-dunk that this draft is predicted, necessarily."

"You can't say no to anything because you don't know what's going to come your way," Hextall said. "Do I envision moving the No. 2 pick? No, I don't. In saying that, if something comes along that we can't say no to, we'll certainly look at it, but as of right now, I'd say we'd be pretty comfortable making that pick."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...rall_pick.html

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Interesting:

Said Hextall: "I know everybody talks about [those] two - and there's two very good players - but there are a couple of other guys who are pretty darn good, too. I don't know that it's a total slam-dunk that this draft is predicted, necessarily."

"You can't say no to anything because you don't know what's going to come your way," Hextall said. "Do I envision moving the No. 2 pick? No, I don't. In saying that, if something comes along that we can't say no to, we'll certainly look at it, but as of right now, I'd say we'd be pretty comfortable making that pick."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...rall_pick.html

That is absolutely right.

This guy sounds like he has played poker once or twice. He must do what is right for the club.

And that means looking at everyone who is available and lasting to all offers. I wouldn't expect nothing less.

I love options. Others who watch more junior hockey that i do have made some good points about other talents right behind those two we all know of. Can't say no to nothing at this point.

Archived