Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

So with the Flyers officially eliminated from the playoffs, it is now for us to start focusing in on the upcoming draft in June.  Unless Hexy brings his lucky charms and the Flyers end up winning the Draft Lottery, it looks more and more the Flyers will draft 10-15 range.  So who is available?  (I know impossible to answer now but we have all read a Mock Draft here and there).  Do you go forward or BPA (best player available?)  Feel free to throw in names as you see them.  Right now I am seeing the name Eeli Tolvanen associated with the Flyers.  Of course a lot can and will change before the draft.  So here is what I have found out about Tolvanen.

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

Eeli Tolvanen

Date of Birth

April 22, 1999

Height

5' 11

Weight

Country

Finland

Position

Left Winger

Secondary Position

Right Wing

Shoots

Left

Amateur Team

Sioux City Musketeers

Previous Amateur Team

Espoo Blues

Projected to be drafted in 2017 NHL Draft: 1st Round, 11th Overall Pick by Philadelphia

He is not yet six foot but hard to not notice in every game he plays. A natural offensive generator and scorer who uses his acceleration, quick bursts and a quick stick. Has a NHL shot which he gets off quickly and he needs little space to place deadly accurate spots in the back of the net. Needs to round out his game and get bigger and stronger, but he is a natural scorer with a lightning release and great jump to get to open spaces in the attack zone. Elite shooter with a strong stick which will get pucks away from the opposition. Is determined to improve hs defensive game and over-all play. The elite rifle is already in the tool cabinet.

--Bill Placzek—

Eeli Tolvanen, LW - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL): Heating back up again in the USHL. One of the top pure snipers in the draft this season.

Tolvanen may end up being the best goal scorer from this draft class, as his terrific release is quick, accurate and heavy. This weapon was on full display at the U18's where he scored seven goals in as many games. However, due to some concerns regarding his consistency, compete-level and play away from the puck, the talented-Finnish winger slips to the Flyers who are happy to add a dynamic forward to their strong stable of goaltending and back-end prospects. Tolvanen will head to Boston College in the fall and will look to build the strength and consistency needed to become a dangerous top six winger in the NHL. – Cam Robinson @CrazyJoeDavola3

It has been mentioned that he is committed to Boston College next year.

Thoughts??  Again feel free to add names to this list.  I have seen the name Cody Glass and the Flyers too.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Do you go forward or BPA (best player available?)  Feel free to throw in names as you see them.

Yes but size has to come into play too. Last thing the Flyers need is another 5-10 177 pound winger. They have those in spades i'm afraid.

They already have a LW his size who might get a look next year in Danick Martel. Flyers need speed and size. Tired of seeing them be pushed around.

I've seen a few sites that have the Flyers selecting either Cody Glass (6'2, 177 pounds), Elias Pettersson (6'2, 160 pounds), Martin Necas (6'0, 160 pounds), Tolvanen, Michael Rasmussen (6'5, 210 pounds) or Ryan Poehling (6'3, 185 pounds). As for Tolvanen only being 5'11, he hasn't turned 18 yet and usually, most 18 year olds have at least one more growth spurt before they're done growing and such could be the case with Tolvanen. I expect that he'll top out at 6'1, 190 pounds. Not sure if I'd take him though in that there are a lot of flaws in his game that need to be worked on. Glass is who I'd hope they end up with because I think he has the best skill set of the bunch and would fit in really well behind Giroux in the lineup. However, it won't surprise me if they select Rasmussen, especillay becuase he's a big guy that can really skate. I'll be honest though - I'm more interested in what they're going to do in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

NHL Final 2017 Rankings are here: http://jets.ice.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2017

Notable movers: Casey Mittelstadt (UP: from 5 to 3, NA), Nick Suzuki (UP: from 16 to 10, NA), Nic Hague, D (DOWN: from 11 to 20, NA), Erik Brannstrom, D (UP: from 16 to 9 Europe), Jason Robertson (UP: from 34 to 14, NA)

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Bump

NHL Final 2017 Rankings are here: http://jets.ice.nhl.com/club/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2017

Notable movers: Casey Mittelstadt (UP: from 5 to 3, NA), Nick Suzuki (UP: from 16 to 10, NA), Nic Hague, D (DOWN: from 11 to 20, NA), Erik Brannstrom, D (UP: from 16 to 9 Europe), Jason Robertson (UP: from 34 to 14, NA)

Perfect....all the good centres will be gone,  and defence all around our pick!

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well that is why Hextall has horde his picks.

12 picks total in all giving him the option of he chooses if and when to move up if he sees fit.

He moved up to get TK i trust he isn't scared to do the same.

I like having options. Cheers to change!

:beer:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well that is why Hextall has horde his picks.

12 picks total in all giving him the option of he chooses if and when to move up if he sees fit.

He moved up to get TK i trust he isn't scared to do the same.

I like having options. Cheers to change!

:beer:

Even if we get 'stuck" taking D, as long as he pans out...I'm fine with it. Blueliners are the new gold in the NHL.

I know it's a 2017 draft thread....but I just wanted to touch on Connor Bunnaman, last years 4th round pick. I remember reading he was an even 6 foot ....so when I went to see him I was expecting an average height type of center. Well, the first time I went, he missed a 3 game road trip with the flu. Second time he was there. WOW....shocked to see him towering over other forwards. Metzler's blog from a few days ago lists him at 6'3, which sounds about right. Big shoulders, big frame, looks very imposing.

Shifty for a big guy, strong on the forecheck, skates better than average. Tremendous shot. Very nice work ethic. He scored 2 goals against my Spits. This guy WILL be a Flyer, only question is bottom six or top six. VERY VERY nice find in the 4th round

On 4/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, flyercanuck said:

I'm ok with a D if that's who is BPA. As you say, they are the new gold. So why not mine gold?

I had an interesting conversation with Kyle Woodlief about the Swedish D prospects. He was very bullish on  Erik Brannstrom and said he preferred him to Liljegren.

This reminds me of the JVR draft year...another year where we pick #2 and only one elite prospect....even when we are lucky we suck....lol. Nico is the only elite guy here, everyone else has question marks. 

after some reading and watching, I would take Patrick over Nico. A way safer pick, and he can impose his will much more than Nico.

First time post on this forum. Long time Flyers fan going back to '72. 

News alert: Flyers move up from 14th to number 2. Devils get number 1. 

It's going to be a fun two months. Can't wait to see who we pick. Anybody know who are likely to be the top 3 picks?

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, if we get Patrick or Vilardi, awesome, but WTF...I SWEAR I was gonna start a thread yesterday saying Flyers will win the lottery but forgot...just felt we were due for a break..was close, huh?

Welcome to the forums, @LCB74 .

i merged your topic with this one as they are pretty much the same thing...and I guarantee you, there will be NO shortage of posters willing to talk Flyers draft with ya! ;)

Enjoy your stay, contact a friendly member or mod if you have any questions.

5 minutes ago, LCB74 said:

First time post on this forum. Long time Flyers fan going back to '72. 

News alert: Flyers move up from 14th to number 2. Devils get number 1. 

It's going to be a fun two months. Can't wait to see who we pick. Anybody know who are likely to be the top 3 picks?

Probably a two way race between Nico and Patrick....with maybe Vilardi sneaking into the conversation. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Archived