Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, King Knut said:

Hopefully the Devils don't take him.  His game has seemed to be more dynamic from what I've read and the clips I've seen.  

Unfortunately I don't think Shero is a moron.  He will take the best player at #1. 

I don't think he's a moron....but he did take Zacha over Provorov. 

For those keeping score at home ......
2017 NHL Mock Draft: A roundup of top five mocks

Mock Draft 1. Devils 2. Flyers 3. Stars 4. Avalanche 5. Canucks
MyNHLDraft.com (May 10) Nico                      Hischier Nolan                       Patrick Miro                         Heiskanen Gabriel                  Vilardi Casey                         Mittelstadt
Winging It In Motown                         (May 14) Nolan                       Patrick Nico                      Hischier Gabriel                  Vilardi Miro                         Heiskanen Owen                      Tippett
SB Nation (May 1) Nolan                       Patrick Nico                      Hischier Gabriel                  Vilardi Miro                         Heiskanen Casey                       Mittelstadt
Puck Prose (May 13) Nico                      Hischier Nolan                       Patrick Casey                       Mittelstadt Gabriel                  Vilardi Miro                         Heiskanen
Bleacher Report (April 29) Nolan                       Patrick Nico                      Hischier Gabriel                  Vilardi Michael Rasmussen Owen                      Tippett
NJ.com (May 1) Nolan                       Patrick Nico                      Hischier Casey Mittelstadt Owen                      Tippett Gabriel                  Vilardi
TSN: Craig Button (May 1) Nico                      Hischier Nolan                       Patrick Miro                         Heiskanen Gabriel                  Vilardi Cody                           Glass
TSN: Craig Button          (May 12) Nico                      Hischier Nolan                       Patrick Miro                         Heiskanen Gabriel                  Vilardi Cody                           Glass
NHL.com: Adam Kimelman              (April 30) Nolan                       Patrick Nico                      Hischier Casey Mittelstadt Miro                         Heiskanen Gabriel                  Vilardi

1 hour ago, brelic said:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/HockeyBuzz-Hotstove/Who-should-be-taken-1st-overall-Nico-Hischier-or-Nolan-Patrick/187/85214

A few takes on who NJ should take 1st.

It's sounding more and more like we'll end up with Patrick.

Not a bad consolation prize i say.

Pressure is on Devils and their chances of giving the better player to their rival...

:cheers:

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not a bad consolation prize i say.

Pressure is on Devils and their chances of giving the better player to their rival...

:cheers:

Yes, that's a good point. And it's a no brainer for the Flyers to pick the best player available.

But reading those comments kinda left me feeling like Patrick is a JVR redux. Ahh, will history repeat itself? Haha.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, that's a good point. And it's a no brainer for the Flyers to pick the best player available.

But reading those comments kinda left me feeling like Patrick is a JVR redux. Ahh, will history repeat itself? Haha.

JVR had work ethic issues and at times from reports all the skill but just lazy.

Patrick i haven't seen anything of the sort about being lazy. His red flag which i don't agree with is injury history.

I don't think it's fair to blame broken bones on a player really that is more along the lines of bad luck can happen to anyone at anytime.

The groin henia issues can be one of two things. Lack of training or some times over training.

I guess that could be more of the player's fault maybe.

However it is a physical sport i'm not overly concerned with it.

If he is there meaning Patrick i take him.

Unless the doctors discover an issue that could be serious and on goig later.

Definitely can't compare this year's draft to the Kane/JVR picks.  Kane was the obvious #1 in almost everyone's eyes where this year it is almost a coin flip.  

I am ecstatic to have the opportunity to watch whoever the Devils don't pick wear the O&B and hopefully develop into the player everyone thinks they should become.

At least one of my Halifax peeps who has seen lots of Hischier, still prefers Patrick (genes, size with mobility as main reasons). Says Hischier projects as a a Michael Grabner 2.0.

22 hours ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Not sure if this has been posted,  I didn't go back through the thread.   Interesting article.   Tell me after listening to what Halifax GM Cam Russell says about Nico Hischier that you don't want him on the Flyers.    Also clarifies that Nico is not on loan to Halifax,  so its the Flyers or Halifax for him,  no AHL.    Hope NJ doesn't read this article. :P

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/halifax-gm-cam-russell-nico-hischier-youre-getting-star-long-time

As a haligonian, ill confirm. I am jealous.

Fill the cracks in that squad friends!

068_1000_zpstyw0si0a_1.gif

23 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

As a haligonian, ill confirm. I am jealous.

Fill the cracks in that squad friends!

068_1000_zpstyw0si0a_1.gif

Yeah who would have known the Flyers would be in the position to draft one of my favorite hometown guys.   Though it will be a bit disappointing if I have to watch Hischier on New Jersey.    Did get to see Voracek and Jody Shelley on the Flyers.   Just need to make that trade for MacKinnon, Drouin,  Ehlers and Meier. :) 

22 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Yeah who would have known the Flyers would be in the position to draft one of my favorite hometown guys.   Though it will be a bit disappointing if I have to watch Hischier on New Jersey.    Did get to see Voracek and Jody Shelley on the Flyers.   Just need to make that trade for MacKinnon, Drouin,  Ehlers and Meier. :) 

You can't have him :)

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Not much we don't already know....he ain't showing his cards...but you can't especially if you want to trade back...which i can't see them doing.

So with the 1st pick in the 2017 NHL draft the New Jersey Devils select Nico Patrick!!!!

:haha2:

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Fans should be happy with either player. Personally, i like that we have the 2nd pick mainly because NJ will leave us with who we will pick. 

Put me in the happy crowd....going from 13th to 2nd i'll take all day. No matter what they will get a great player. This will help speed up the rebuild. Win win.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Fans should be happy with either player. Personally, i like that we have the 2nd pick mainly because NJ will leave us with who we will pick. 

And for the most part it is just part of the Flyer nation.

They could win the lotto for 100 million and would complain it was in all ones!!!!!!

:haha2:

#phillyfaithful

On 5/18/2017 at 10:31 AM, RJ8812 said:

I think we are... we just wouldn't be us if we didn't overanalyze and figure out one way or another we're getting screwed.  

Some people are afraid the Devils will take another player altogether and the Flyers actually will have to choose.  That's an odd standpoint.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I think we are... we just wouldn't be us if we didn't overanalyze and figure out one way or another we're getting screwed.  

Funny, so true....I have the fear that whomever is drafted in the 13th slot will have a better career than whom the Flyers draft at 2...just because

2 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Funny, so true....I have the fear that whomever is drafted in the 13th slot will have a better career than whom the Flyers draft at 2...just because

It feels inevitable doesn't it?

Shattenkirk was drafted 14th the year we drafted JVR

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Some people are afraid the Devils will take another player altogether and the Flyers actually will have to choose.  That's an odd standpoint.

Unlikely. The two options are way above the rest of the draft class. The Devils would be stupid to pick anyone else 

Archived