Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

It feels inevitable doesn't it?

Shattenkirk was drafted 14th the year we drafted JVR

Except we should have drafted Kane that year 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Except we should have drafted Kane that year 

This draft actually reminds me of that draft. I know there were a lot of draft pundits who thought that the Kane/JVR draft wasn't that great of a draft, but it turned out to be ok. I think this draft has that inkling as well.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:00 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This draft actually reminds me of that draft. I know there were a lot of draft pundits who thought that the Kane/JVR draft wasn't that great of a draft, but it turned out to be ok. I think this draft has that inkling as well.

I don't think there were any pundits who weren't 100% clear that Patrick Kane was the clear number one and that JVR was a significantly lesser player.  

I say that as the guy around here who doesn't continually shred JVR and claim that I wouldn't like to have his 30 goals around any more.  

20 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't think there were any pundits who weren't 100% clear that Patrick Kane was the clear number one and that JVR was a significantly lesser player.  

I say that as the guy around here who doesn't continually shred JVR and claim that I wouldn't like to have his 30 goals around any more.  

Just as an add to that, Kane has reaped the benefit of playing side by side with Jonathan Toews. JT has made him a far better player than he would have been paired with the same team mates JVR has had.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

Just as an add to that, Kane has reaped the benefit of playing side by side with Jonathan Toews. JT has made him a far better player than he would have been paired with the same team mates JVR has had.

Hmmmmm.  Not sure I agree with that. 

Patrick Kane would have joined a Flyers team that would also be icing, Richards and Carter in their breakout year, Briere while still in his prime, Gagne past his prime but still producing big goals, Hartnell entering his prime, Mike Knuble clearing space in front of the net and chopping in greasy goals, and lesser but important players like Prospal, Lupul, Umberger, Upshall and a burgeoning Claude Giroux.  

Sure, it was still a one pairing D squad and there was no goalie of value in the mix, and that might have prevented them from winning cups EVERY year between then and now, but I'd put that batch of forwards up against any other team of the past 10 years and I bet they win a 7 game series 9 of 10 times.

The only thing that could ralistically have gotten in their way was Kane somehow making them all party more and one or more of them dying of an overdose.  Keep that from happening and that's a virtually unstoppable front 12.   Let's not forget that team took the Penguins to 6 games in the ECFs with BOTH Coburn and Timmonen out due to injuries.  

Sure, Steve Downie might have fallen down in the depth chart and Dan Carcillo might never have happened, but there's always a downside.  

But yeah, Toews and Patrick sharp were real good too.  

25 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

Another award for Hischier,   CHL Rookie of the Year......

And Patrick was named Prospect of the Year.

2016-17 CHL Award Winners:

Sherwin-Williams Top Prospect Award: Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings
Brandon Wheat Kings captain Nolan Patrick is listed number one in NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings for the 2017 NHL Draft in Chicago.  The 18-year-old forward from Winnipeg, MB, wrapped up his third WHL season with 20 goals and 26 assists for 46 points limited to just 33 games played due to injury.  He is the first WHL player to earn this award since Seth Jones of the Portland Winterhawks in 2013, and could be the first western Canadian to be chosen first overall since Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Red Deer Rebels in 2011.  Finalists for the award include Nico Hischier of the Halifax Mooseheads who was listed second by NHL Central Scouting, and Gabe Vilardi of the Windsor Spitfires ranked fourth.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

And Patrick was named Prospect of the Year.

2016-17 CHL Award Winners:

Sherwin-Williams Top Prospect Award: Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings
Brandon Wheat Kings captain Nolan Patrick is listed number one in NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings for the 2017 NHL Draft in Chicago.  The 18-year-old forward from Winnipeg, MB, wrapped up his third WHL season with 20 goals and 26 assists for 46 points limited to just 33 games played due to injury.  He is the first WHL player to earn this award since Seth Jones of the Portland Winterhawks in 2013, and could be the first western Canadian to be chosen first overall since Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Red Deer Rebels in 2011.  Finalists for the award include Nico Hischier of the Halifax Mooseheads who was listed second by NHL Central Scouting, and Gabe Vilardi of the Windsor Spitfires ranked fourth.

So he could average out to be a 20/50 player (who has actually scored 20/50 once in six seasons) in the NHL? :)

pinch me?

:hocky:

4 hours ago, radoran said:

So he could average out to be a 20/50 player (who has actually scored 20/50 once in six seasons) in the NHL? :)

pinch me?

:hocky:

I'm pretty confident he ends up being a better player than RNH...as long as his health is intact. 

Unless the Devils pick him 1st....then he'll suck!!  :IDunnoSmiley:

On 5/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, flyercanuck said:

I'm pretty confident he ends up being a better player than RNH...as long as his health is intact. 

Unless the Devils pick him 1st....then he'll suck!!  :IDunnoSmiley:

So after 16 pages - have you guys decided who you are taking yet? :love:

I'll stand by my pick of "whoever-the-Devils-don't-take". :cheers:

4 minutes ago, B21 said:

I'm not buying that nonsense!

24 minutes ago, B21 said:

Cmon, man. Everyone knows Ray Shero frequents this forum for draft advice on a regular basis. We need to make our decision, so he knows what his is going to be. That's just how it works.

58 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not buying that nonsense!

Ha!  In all seriousness, enjoy it. It's fun and exciting. Top 2 picks don't come around that often...unless you are the Pens circa 2001-2005. :VeryCool:

3 hours ago, B21 said:

unless you are the Pens circa 2001-2005. :VeryCool:

REPORTED!!!

In all seriousness @B21 who would you want if the Pens were picking first?  I am really on the fence about who I would take.  Yet, I lean a bit more to Nico b/c I think he has a dynamic skill set and the injuries with Patrick are a concern.   

In the end it comes down to whatever one is not picked by the Devils.    As you say - it is exciting.

23 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

REPORTED!!!

In all seriousness @B21 who would you want if the Pens were picking first?  I am really on the fence about who I would take.  Yet, I lean a bit more to Nico b/c I think he has a dynamic skill set and the injuries with Patrick are a concern.   

In the end it comes down to whatever one is not picked by the Devils.    As you say - it is exciting.

From the little I know? Hischier. I was looking at style comparisons. Found a report that compared Patrick to Toews with a lower ceiling. Hischier to Datsyuk. Strictly in style - not career paths/points. Give me Datsyuk every time. Seems as though Hischier has more upside as well.

4 hours ago, B21 said:

From the little I know? Hischier. I was looking at style comparisons. Found a report that compared Patrick to Toews with a lower ceiling. Hischier to Datsyuk. Strictly in style - not career paths/points. Give me Datsyuk every time. Seems as though Hischier has more upside as well.

I don't know if Hischier reminds me of Datsyuk. I'd say he's more Patrik Elias than Pavel Datsyuk, and Elias was a hell of a good hockey player. In terms of Patrick, while the Toews comparison is pretty decent, I see him more as a Rod Brind'Amour type. I don't know if he'll have offensive seasons like Roddy had, but I think his work ethic will really rub off on others on the club. He'll be Mr. Dependable.

14 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't know if Hischier reminds me of Datsyuk. I'd say he's more Patrik Elias than Pavel Datsyuk, and Elias was a hell of a good hockey player. In terms of Patrick, while the Toews comparison is pretty decent, I see him more as a Rod Brind'Amour type. I don't know if he'll have offensive seasons like Roddy had, but I think his work ethic will really rub off on others on the club. He'll be Mr. Dependable.

I'll take your word for it. Other than a few clips I've seen neither of them play.  Just read a few scouting reports.  Either way, you are getting a nice piece for the future. Maybe to a player to build around but certainly a guy who can be a big part of a core group. Nothing wrong with that.

Here's a crazy scenario!

There are rumours (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/New-Jersey-Devils-likely-to-keep-1st-overall-pick----as-they-should/159/85736) that NJ might consider moving down (I'm guessing no lower than #3) because they really want shore up on defense and would be happy with Heiskanen or Makar. So, why not move down, get the guy you want, and get some valuable assets in the meantime?

Ok, so they'll probably stand pat... BUT, knowing this, how sweet would it be if the Flyers did something like this:

To NJ:

Sanheim

2017 2nd, 2018 3rd

To Philly:

2017 1st

So we get Patrick AND Hischier, dealing from a position of strength. Sanheim would be a great add for NJ, he's very close to NHL ready, and I'd be ok with trading him in this kind of scenario.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Here's a crazy scenario!

There are rumours (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/New-Jersey-Devils-likely-to-keep-1st-overall-pick----as-they-should/159/85736) that NJ might consider moving down (I'm guessing no lower than #3) because they really want shore up on defense and would be happy with Heiskanen or Makar. So, why not move down, get the guy you want, and get some valuable assets in the meantime?

Ok, so they'll probably stand pat... BUT, knowing this, how sweet would it be if the Flyers did something like this:

To NJ:

Sanheim

2017 2nd, 2018 3rd

To Philly:

2017 1st

So we get Patrick AND Hischier, dealing from a position of strength. Sanheim would be a great add for NJ, he's very close to NHL ready, and I'd be ok with trading him in this kind of scenario.

Pass

I'd prefer to see Sanheim and the other stud D-prospects we have anchor the team going forward. Which is the plan. Stick to the plan, man.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Pass

I'd prefer to see Sanheim and the other stud D-prospects we have anchor the team going forward. Which is the plan. Stick to the plan, man.

Really?

I mean, I get it in theory. But with Provorov and Ghost as 'established' NHLers in the sense that they have graduated to the NHL, Morin and Hagg likely making the jump this year, we're gonna be fine and that doesn't preclude us drafting more defensemen this year and moving forward. Add Myers to that group.

I'm just thinking the opportunity to have Patrick and Hischier - our version of Kane and Toews - for the next decade plus, sounds pretty appealing. I think Sanheim is definitely worth that. Provorov, no. Sanheim, yes.

Archived