Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

39 minutes ago, brelic said:

Really?

I mean, I get it in theory. But with Provorov and Ghost as 'established' NHLers in the sense that they have graduated to the NHL, Morin and Hagg likely making the jump this year, we're gonna be fine and that doesn't preclude us drafting more defensemen this year and moving forward. Add Myers to that group.

I'm just thinking the opportunity to have Patrick and Hischier - our version of Kane and Toews - for the next decade plus, sounds pretty appealing. I think Sanheim is definitely worth that. Provorov, no. Sanheim, yes.

Ok, a couple of things. That offer is likely not enough to get the 1st overall pick. It would be more like Sanheim, 2017 2nd, 2018 1st. 

I would just like to see Sanheim play before we trade him. I think he's going to be a good one.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, brelic said:

Really?

I mean, I get it in theory. But with Provorov and Ghost as 'established' NHLers in the sense that they have graduated to the NHL, Morin and Hagg likely making the jump this year, we're gonna be fine and that doesn't preclude us drafting more defensemen this year and moving forward. Add Myers to that group.

I'm just thinking the opportunity to have Patrick and Hischier - our version of Kane and Toews - for the next decade plus, sounds pretty appealing. I think Sanheim is definitely worth that. Provorov, no. Sanheim, yes.

Like others here, I think you'd need that 3rd to be a 1st for it to carry enough weight. That makes it far less palatable for me. Also, those are some lofty comparables you have there...

22 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, a couple of things. That offer is likely not enough to get the 1st overall pick. It would be more like Sanheim, 2017 2nd, 2018 1st. 

I would just like to see Sanheim play before we trade him. I think he's going to be a good one.

Unless we are getting a proven young player that fills a need Sanheim is going nowhere.   Sanheim, I believe, is the best of the bunch behind Provorov.   

On 6/14/2017 at 2:40 PM, brelic said:

Really?

I have absolutely NO reason to think that Patrick and Nico would be any kind of version of Toews and Kane.  

I'm thrilled that we'll get whichever one of them we will, but I just can't see that kind of comparison. 

The chances are that the Flyers will have to trade one of these blue chip D men at some point... Even if they all pan out, the team won't be able to afford them at a certain point.  BUT there's no reason to make that happen immediately.  Certainly not for Nico and Nolan.  

I'd have done it for Matthews... but these guys ain't Matthews--which isn't a knock against them.  I think they're going to be good.  Just not sell the best Depth on D in Franchise history for them good.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I have absolutely NO reason to think that Patrick and Nico would be any kind of version of Toews and Kane.  

I'm thrilled that we'll get whichever one of them we will, but I just can't see that kind of comparison. 

The chances are that the Flyers will have to trade one of these blue chip D men at some point... Even if they all pan out, the team won't be able to afford them at a certain point.  BUT there's no reason to make that happen immediately.  Certainly not for Nico and Nolan.  

I'd have done it for Matthews... but these guys ain't Matthews--which isn't a knock against them.  I think they're going to be good.  Just not sell the best Depth on D in Franchise history for them good.

Yeah, I get it, but that would never fly for Matthews. Elite and generational picks rarely get traded, so the cost would have been MUCH MUCH higher.

Ok, Toews and Kane might be a stretch... I had seen the Toews-lite comparison for Patrick.

Maybe Seguin/Hall?

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Unless we are getting a proven young player that fills a need Sanheim is going nowhere.   Sanheim, I believe, is the best of the bunch behind Provorov.   

After watching him all last year in LV I also think he's gonna be a much better pro than Morin.  Besides his skating and puckhandling, he seems to have much better hockey sense than Sammy.  And he's more willing to defend a teammate when things get rough out there.

2 minutes ago, Poconono said:

After watching him all last year in LV I also think he's gonna be a much better pro than Morin.  Besides his skating and puckhandling, he seems to have much better hockey sense than Sammy.  And he's more willing to defend a teammate when things get rough out there.

To be fair to Morin, he and Sanheim are totally different types of D men which is why I personally am so excited (BALANCED PAIRINGS!).

Additionally, Sanheim took a lot of crap from his coaches for his rough play and was really tasked with reigning it in.  I think much like Gudas, the guy has spent much of the last season and a half learning how to downplay some of his strengths (If you recall he was an absolute killer hitter in preseason 2 years ago and it got him into some hot water).

Essentially, I totally agree with what you're saying and I think it's all part of the plan.  Or at least it's all part of what has me so excited.  

Hopefully when Morin is a little bit older, wiser and more cagey, he can play a bit more like Pronger than like Coburn in the hitting department. 

Just to interject a whole new line of complaining/worrying - my biggest fear is that Hexy trades the #2 overall pick for someone like Fleury.  We all know they need a goalie, but please, not at that price.

7 minutes ago, Poconono said:

And he's more willing to defend a teammate when things get rough out there.

If this is true, it's alarming in way. I want Sanheim rushing the puck up ice not sitting in the penalty box. And I want Morin to be the one breaking his knuckles on other guys' heads! Does Morin even have a future in the NHl if he doesn't grow some bigger testicles?

That's been my beef with Morin since he got to Allentown. He does ok when he does fight but he seems really slow to anger.  He's no Gudas.  I've seen plenty of games against rivals like Hershey and WBS when a good fight might turn around a sluggish team, but Morin is never the one to do it.  It's usually the squirts like Martel. Miele or Bardreau that try to stir things up,  Late in the season when every game was like a playoff game Sanheim and Hagg were continually getting into scrums and shoving matches.  Morin remained kind of laid back.  Of all the defensive prospects he is the one I have the lowest hopes for,  I haven't seen much to get excited about in 2 years in the Valley.  He doesn't stink by any means, he just doesn't look like a top 6 NHL defenseman to me.

4 minutes ago, Poconono said:

That's been my beef with Morin since he got to Allentown. He does ok when he does fight but he seems really slow to anger.  He's no Gudas.  I've seen plenty of games against rivals like Hershey and WBS when a good fight might turn around a sluggish team, but Morin is never the one to do it.  It's usually the squirts like Martel. Miele or Bardreau that try to stir things up,  Late in the season when every game was like a playoff game Sanheim and Hagg were continually getting into scrums and shoving matches.  Morin remained kind of laid back.  Of all the defensive prospects he is the one I have the lowest hopes for,  I haven't seen much to get excited about in 2 years in the Valley.  He doesn't stink by any means, he just doesn't look like a top 6 NHL defenseman to me.

Yeah, this is not new news. You've been on this for awhile. I don't care too much about the fighting part - there's less everyday in the NHL - but taking full advantage of his size, by imposing his will, being mean and hard to play against, are the only things that likely can make him a top 6 D-man. A big wingspan isn't enough.

40 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Just to interject a whole new line of complaining/worrying - my biggest fear is that Hexy trades the #2 overall pick for someone like Fleury.  We all know they need a goalie, but please, not at that price.

They could commit him if he did that.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Besides those two still needed Seabrook and Keith how do we know Ivan and Sanheim couldn't be like those two?? Not saying they are but you never know where their ceiling lies.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, this is not new news. You've been on this for awhile. I don't care too much about the fighting part - there's less everyday in the NHL - but taking full advantage of his size, by imposing his will, being mean and hard to play against, are the only things that likely can make him a top 6 D-man. A big wingspan isn't enough.

Besides he is not a goon type. They have change the rules to many fights now and it's an automatic suspension. He is way more important to the team than that. Let Goulbourne do his job. Let Morin work on being a shut down Dmen.

If this is true, it's alarming in way. I want Sanheim rushing the puck up ice not sitting in the penalty box. And I want Morin to be the one breaking his knuckles on other guys' heads! Does Morin even have a future in the NHl if he doesn't grow some bigger testicles?

He has them.  They've been aggressively coaching him to chill the hell out after his preseason 2 years ago.  Let him continue to grow up into a man and fill out.  

Right now, he's big enough to clear the porch, but we'll work up to that.  If he can manage to skate to the right spots and not completely lose the play in the process, I'll be THRILLED.  

Provorov is neither big nor mean nor imposes his will physically, but he is hard to play against.  He's our #1 D man and the franchise and most fans think he's the best they've seen.

Morin on the other hand has done all those things when he was with the Flyers two preseasons ago.  They've been aggressively coaching him to calm down.  He needs to play the position not get himself suspended or but in the box.

Let him put on some weight and learn the spot.   

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Besides he is not a goon type. They have change the rules to many fights now and it's an automatic suspension. He is way more important to the team than that. Let Goulbourne do his job. Let Morin work on being a shut down Dmen.

This is the thing.  Wing Span is nice, throwing a heavy hit is nice, but the team has really worked to get Gudas to stop that too and he's one of the hardest hitters in the league.

Doing that will get you suspended at the drop of a hat.  ANY hat if you're a Flyer.

Morin needs to play the position responsibly enough for Ghost, Sanheim or Myers to skate and make some outlets.  That's his job.  

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Besides those two still needed Seabrook and Keith how do we know Ivan and Sanheim couldn't be like those two?? Not saying they are but you never know where their ceiling lies.

I'm pretty confident Provo will be in the same league as those two. Hopefully the rest of the team keeps pace.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Podein25 said:

Plus Sanheim could be a better defensemen than Patrick and Hischier could be forwards. So I agree no way I am giving up Sanhiem for anything TBH. Sanheim, Morin, Myers are off limits.

I do not get these "trade our blue chip D-prospects for unknown potential 1st round or top 5 Forward draftees. We all know a top D prospect is way more valuable than a top forward prospect of equal and sometimes higher talent level.

just to add more fuel to the ongoing debate ..... so....

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/6/23/15862270/nolan-patrick-health-concern-injuries-flyers-devils-nhl-draft-2017

CHICAGO — What would NHL Draft day be without a little stress? Here’s some: Kyle Scott of Crossing Broad is reporting that the Flyers are worried about Nolan Patrick’s health as they sit with the No. 2 overall pick tonight.

Little birdie: The Flyers are not sold on Nolan Patrick and are “extremely concerned” about his injuries. No one knows who Devils will take.

— Kyle Scott (@CrossingBroad) June 23, 2017

Kyle doesn’t report Flyers rumors that much, but last time he did it turned out to be true, so there’s reason to believe this. I have a few thoughts:

• The Flyers are pretty close to the vest under Ron Hextall, so I guess it’s possible that this wouldn’t have leaked out earlier. But I honestly can’t imagine news of this magnitude taking this long to leak. It almost makes me believe that somebody in the Flyers front office could be deflecting or otherwise sending up a decoy. I don’t know; I’m just thinking out loud for the most part.
  • Patrick’s injury history is indeed a concern, but it’s widely believed that it wouldn’t be enough for him to fall out of the top two in this draft. If there’s truth to this and the Flyers are indeed concerned, however, I think it would be based on real homework. The Flyers scout well in the WHL and are connected in the Brandon Wheat Kings organization, as Hextall is one of their most famous alumni. The concern, if it is really there, would have a strong foundation.
  • Imagine that the Devils take Nico Hischier and the Flyers pass on Patrick at No. 2. Patrick goes on to be a star. That’s a fireable offense for Hextall, right? He’d have to be really, really damn sure to make that call.
  • Hell, it might not even matter. As we mentioned yesterday, there’s talk that the Devils could go off the board and take Cale Makar with the No. 1 pick. That would leave the Flyers the choice of Nico or Nolan, and that would obviously be a very good thing.

So ........ if the Devils take Nico @ #1 ....do you trade down??? and take Vilardi at #2 .....

just kind of throwing that out there ......

Of course if Devils take Patrick then the choice is easy .....

Or

if some reports that I read that the Devils are interested in Makar  ..... that would make the choice easy also ....

About 3 more hours folks!

Here is the info about the Devils .....

And there was a shock in that Mock Draft this morning. According to Pronman, he thinks there is a solid chance that the New Jersey Devils go off the board with the No. 1 overall pick, either trading it or selecting defenseman Cale Makar. Here’s Pronman:

The popular notion for months has been that it is Nolan Patrick vs. Nico Hischier for this spot. But in the past few weeks, it has been indicated to me from several NHL sources that the Devils are leaning toward selecting Makar first overall. Moreover, GM Ray Shero has been following Makar around to get a closer look during the final weeks of his season. It's possible if Makar is the Devils' guy, this is a trade-down scenario for them

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/6/22/15857506/nhl-draft-2017-devils-flyers-first-pick-cale-makar-nolan-patrick-nico-hischier

Archived