Bishop Traded to Dallas

Anthony Volpe

What do the Stars do with the $9.5M already in net?   Figure they just buy one or both out?  Each only has 1 year left, so it may be possible, right?

I really hope Hextall is not shopping in Dallas.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What do the Stars do with the $9.5M already in net?   Figure they just buy one or both out?  Each only has 1 year left, so it may be possible, right?

Letfourin the new Philly net minder :)

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

They could buy one out, but they probably will look to trading one of them too.   No matter what they do this sends a message to the core players from management that they want to be back in the playoffs next year.

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

They could buy one out, but they probably will look to trading one of them too.   No matter what they do this sends a message to the core players from management that they want to be back in the playoffs next year.

Don't the Flames need a goalie?

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

A buyout of both would cost them $4M cap hit next season and $3.1M the season after that. Lehtfourin would be $2.5M and $1.5M and Niemi would be $1.5M each.

That's not terrible. If the reports of $6M for Bishop are good then they'd essentially be paying the same amount for Bishop that they would for the Disappointing Duo.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't the Flames need a goalie?

Yeah, and if they traded for either of those guys they would still need a goalie.

:DancingGrape:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

A buyout of both would cost them $4M cap hit next season and $3.1M the season after that. Lehtfourin would be $2.5M and $1.5M and Niemi would be $1.5M each.

That's not terrible. If the reports of $6M for Bishop are good then they'd essentially be paying the same amount for Bishop that they would for the Disappointing Duo.

Yeah, and if they traded for either of those guys they would still need a goalie.

:DancingGrape:

Sure and it would free up 6 mill in cap space too......

12 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Seems cheap for a #1.

Now what do they do with Niemi/Lehtonen?

Buy them out. At least one of them. Save the other to expose for the expansion draft. Then afterwards who knows.

The six year thing is a bit much I think.  This takes him out to 36 years old.  Is he really going to be the number goalie at 36? How many goalies are at the top of their game at that age?  I think that Tampa played a real solid defensive structure in front of him, I can't say the same of the Dallas team.   We'll have to see. 

I always felt that Bishop was more a product of the Lightning being a good team than actual substance, kind of an Osgood/Crawford type who end up overrated because of the team that he plays on. This year when the Bolts faced adversity he was unable to step up and carry the team. He plays to the teams level and neither elevates nor lowers the bar.

That said he is sure as Hell an upgrade over the arson squad they have had for years and the contract diminishing over the term financially is a good move.

I wouldnt have done it at least until i saw what Pittsburgh is gonna do with Fleury. I might have even taken Jimmy Howard and two years left on his contract at 5 million next season and 4.2 million the next, he is at least as good as Bishop and the Wings want to move him out and he could be had for next to nothing as the Wings dont want to risk losing him for nothing to Vegas and need cap space for the inevitable rebuild. Others, Elliott in Calgary are available as well.

The deal isn't horrible although I'm not a fan of it as I think they overpaid for him.    About a 5M cap hit for the starting goalie isn't a bad thing except when that goalie will be 37 when this contract ends.  I guess we will see if Bishop is past his prime or if he is able to play well over the next 4-5 years to make this deal worthwhile for Dallas.  

• 1 month later...

Archived