• Ducks sweep 4-0
    • Ducks in 5
    • Ducks in 6
    • Ducks in 7
    • Predators sweep 4-0
    • Predators in 5
    • Predators in 6
    • Predators in 7

All discussion concerning Ducks vs. Predators goes here.

Western Conference

ana.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=trueVS.nsh.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Anaheim Ducks vs. Nashville Predators

Game 1: Predators at Ducks, Friday, May 12, 9 p.m.
Game 2: Predators at Ducks, Sunday, May 14, 7:30 p.m.
Game 3: Ducks at Predators, Tuesday, May 16, 8 p.m.
Game 4: Ducks at Predators, Thursday, May 18, 8 p.m.
*Game 5: Predators at Ducks, Saturday, May 20, 7:15 p.m.
*Game 6: Ducks at Predators, Monday, May 22, 8 p.m.
*Game 7: Predators at Ducks, Wednesday, May 24, 9 p.m.
*if necessary

This one seems almost too easy to predict.  I voted for Nashville in 5 games, but I'm not even sure it will take the Preds 5 games as I think they can sweep them.  Nashville's defense and goaltending is far better right now and I doubt that changes in this series.  

I'm going Ducks in 5, but will change it to 6 when I'm done typing this.

The Ducks were the better regular season team even with long stretches of not having their #1 goalie and with players like Perry and Getzlaf snoozing for stretches.   

They played a fairly good skating team in Calgary and swept them.  Most of us called that, but the point was it was a good primer for Edmonton.   The Oilers took them to 7 games and arguably coughed it up.  But the Ducks had to control both speed and skill and be able to counter punch.   They did it.

The Predators swept Chicago.   That's impressive.  It's a hell of a lot more impressive than sweeping Calgary.  But the Ducks got the right to open against Calgary by a much better record than Nashville.   In fact, even Calgary had a better record.

The Predators beat St. Louis in 6.   They arguably should have beaten them in 5 if not for a bungled period.  

Here's the thing:   Anaheim has had to play higher speed.    The Predators have had to play Chicago and St. Louis.

Chicago is not schlep, obviously. And St. Louis is not slow.   But neither have the speed of Edmonton.

But more importantly, Nashville has not yet played a team with Anaheim's defense.  Anaheim finished 3rd in the league in goals against.   Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis, and Calgary all finished similarly in mid-pack.  I think  Kessler's line shuts down Johansen's line.

The point being that with Kessler, et al., the Predators will be facing a different team than what they've faced.  Anaheim, while facing a hot goalie, will be facing more of the same but not quite as good.   The goaltending could prove the difference, but it's been awhile since Rinne has stayed this good this long without either cooling off or getting injured.

By the time I finished this, I'm sticking with Ducks in 5.  I think Rinne steals one.   He may steal two.

I picked the Ducks in the West before the playoffs began and nothing has changed my mind although the Preds are impressive to put it mildly. This should be a wildly fun series.

On the box score for Game 1, the attendance is listed as 100%.   Someone should start a recount because the coverage showed loads of empty seats.    I wonder if they count paid, and not real attendance/

29 minutes ago, nossagog said:

On the box score for Game 1, the attendance is listed as 100%.   Someone should start a recount because the coverage showed loads of empty seats.    I wonder if they count paid, and not real attendance/

Tickets sold...not arses in seats.

This is gonna test the Preds' depth now.

If Johansen being out diminishes the Preds significantly, then maybe they weren't the complete team I thought they were.

I think though, the still have a shot at winning this series.

Obviously, Johansen makes them a BETTER team, but if they really are a complete team, they can still get by without him.

Especially if Subban remembers who's side he is on. :shifty:

I'd guess Fisher slides up. But he hasn't been producing this series. But if you drop Forsberg and Neal on his wings, it could work well enough to get them past Anaheim.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'd guess Fisher slides up. But he hasn't been producing this series. But if you drop Forsberg and Neal on his wings, it could work well enough to get them past Anaheim.

But how is Fisher?  He didn't play again after being knee'd in the head last night.

Just now, hf101 said:

But how is Fisher?  He didn't play again after being knee'd in the head last night.

You think that could make him worse than he has been?

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

You think that could make him worse than he has been?

That's a fair question, but being down the teams top two centers will make a huge difference

Yeah Johansen being out kills this team especially if Fisher is out as well which appears likely. Throw in losing Fiala for the year in the last round and they are down three top nine forwards. Yeah they are deep but nobody is deep enough to overcome that especially against a Duck team that plays such a heavy game.

Ducks Rakell out with a LBI and the Predators Fisher out with a concussion.  

Johansen is said to have had surgery for Acute Compartment Syndrome which can be limb and life threatening.  Frankly, I have never heard of this and it sounds terribly painful.

Well, there ya go...

Not having Rakell is about as bad for the Ducks as the Preds not having Johansen. I think that balances that out a bit.

I know Getzlaf and Perry get all the press in Anaheim, but Rakell is a damned good player and is often the catalyst for getting his team going.

And oh yea, he has carried the team along with Kesler when Getzlaf and Perry go into slumps.

I'd put Rakell on par with Nashville's Viktor Arvidsson....and the Preds DO have him playing....

36 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, there ya go...

Not having Rakell is about as bad for the Ducks as the Preds not having Johansen. I think that balances that out a bit.

I know Getzlaf and Perry get all the press in Anaheim, but Rakell is a damned good player and is often the catalyst for getting his team going.

And oh yea, he has carried the team along with Kesler when Getzlaf and Perry go into slumps.

I'd put Rakell on par with Nashville's Viktor Arvidsson....and the Preds DO have him playing....

I'm not so sure. I think Johansen's injury is even more devestating to Nashville. Forsberg and Arvidsson need his playmaking to create offense. They and Neal are going to have to pick up their games a notch. For the Ducks, I think Rakell is a really good player, but also they still have guys who can put the puck in the net consistently like Perry, Kesler, a playmaker like Getzlaf, and when he's healthy Eaves. I think Anaheim has veteran players who have been in the playoffs for a long time, and know more of what to do as far as putting the puck in the net in crunch time.

Studying Rinne closely for the first two periods, I am convinced there is something wrong with his catching hand. Usually he catches the puck better than anyone in the game but his rebound control is awful tonight, The goal by Wagner came because Rinne did not catch a shot that he should have. Very un-Rinne like. Usually he constantly catches the puck slowing the pace and disrupting the other teams rhythm. Players hide injuries during the postseason, I would bet dollars to donuts that a hand injury is confessed to as soon as the Preds season comes to a close.

Archived