Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL

yave1964

23 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Sharks and flyers in different situations.

Sharks might still have 1 last kick at the can.

Ya, I want no part of him...but I could see a team wanting to take a shot and hoping to get something out of him for low cost. Thing is ...knowing Kovalchuk he'll likely want a fortune.

7 hours ago, nossagog said:

Sign him and expose him to the expansion draft, that'll fix him. 

He can't be signed until July 1st, so that's not an option. Although I do wonder if there could be an under the table deal where Vegas takes a player the Devils like, then flips that player for Kovalchuk. Although I kind of doubt Kovy wants to play on another expansion team at this point in his career anyway.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:19 AM, AJgoal said:

You're probably thinking of Nabokov. Signed with the Wings but got claimed by the Isles when he tried to come over.

Man you have a good memory.

51 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Man you have a good memory.

All I remembered was Nabokov and the Isles. I had to look up the rest. I couldn't even remember if the Isles claimed him or vice versa.

The Kovalchuk drama shines a light on Bettman's real job for the NHL owners.  If he was really interested in the NHL's welfare,  then he would protect it from contract jumpers by telling Kovalchuk's agent to shove it.  He won't do that because the owners are better served by him keeping quiet.  Which is exactly what he will do.  

He's a highly paid pimp, and that's all he is.

29 minutes ago, blocker said:

The Kovalchuk drama shines a light on Bettman's real job for the NHL owners.  If he was really interested in the NHL's welfare,  then he would protect it from contract jumpers by telling Kovalchuk's agent to shove it.  He won't do that because the owners are better served by him keeping quiet.  Which is exactly what he will do.  

He's a highly paid pimp, and that's all he is.

Wouldn't he be more of a "fluffer" for the owners?  :cheer:

(I always think of Bettman as being like the Emperor from the Star Wars movies.)

On 5/14/2017 at 5:41 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Wouldn't he be more of a "fluffer" for the owners?  :cheer:

(I always think of Bettman as being like the Emperor from the Star Wars movies.)

The owners are the Emperor. Bettman is more like Vader or Tarkin. 

I also wonder if there's a part of Bettman that was actually kind of glad Kovalchuk left, given what a mess the Devils were financially at the time. I don't think it's merely coincidence that after Kovy bolted to the KHL and the Devils got out from under that monstrosity of a contract that suddenly they found new ownership.

1 hour ago, JK55 said:

If he wants back, thats great news! It means we trade him for another asset that wouldn't have had if he stayed over there.

Basically. I'm also not opposed to signing him to a one year deal and seeing what he's got left (if he's willing to play for the Devils obviously). If he scores 25-30 goals and helps the team get back into the playoffs, great. If he's productive and we're still out of it at the deadline, trade him for something. Obviously there's the possibility he completely stinks up the joint or blows out his back again, but at this point it's not like we're asking him to carry the team like during the lockout year.

I'm also not sure what we'd get for him this summer versus what we could get for him at the trade deadline. How many teams want to trade for a 34 year old who had a bad back and hasn't played in the NHL since 2013 without at least seeing him in action in some NHL games?

Archived