Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL

yave1964

@MadDevil

The Devils forwards are at the least entering acceptable NHL levels in terms of competitiveness anyway, but that defense as i have pointed out is boring bordering upon awful (and as a Wings fan I know something about boring bordering upon awful defense, lol).

If Kovalchuk returns do you trade him for a top tier blueliner? CAN you trade him for one? Is there a market for an overpriced 34 year old winger? Do the Devils want him back?I pointed out when i saw the Devils had won the lottery and Kovie was talking an NHL return that this was a critical year for the Devils.

If Kovy wants to come back, I'm fine with it. I've gotten over any bitterness towards him over how he left (mostly because they got out of that terrible contract for only $250,000 in cap recapture). Whether or not he wants to play for the Devils remains to be seen. I think it either ends in him signing a one year deal with the Devils, or he's a sign and trade. I don't know what his value would be though. He hasn't played in the NHL since 2013, he had back issues when he left, and he's 34 years old.

Just now, notfondajane said:

If Kovy does come back and the Devils don't sigh him, then he should be a free agent? (I think!) 

IIRC, he can't come back and sign with anyone but the Debs.

All kinds of BS around that - he should come back with the remainder of his previous contract in place, IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Once he signs with a team he has to pass through waivers.

I don't remember the player of the teams involved, however there was a player that came back from playing in Europe, was signed by team and had to pass through waivers. Another team picked him up off of waivers. The original team that signed him was not very happy.  I remember the GM saying something along the lines of "we did all the work to sign him and they get the player with no effort."

I don't think he has to pass through waivers since it's a rather unique situation, but the league is pretty much just making **** up as they go along with this whole thing anyway, so who really knows. Bettman is probably looking for some violation he can nail the Devils with again if Kovy comes back.

9 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Once he signs with a team he has to pass through waivers.

I don't remember the player of the teams involved, however there was a player that came back from playing in Europe, was signed by team and had to pass through waivers. Another team picked him up off of waivers. The original team that signed him was not very happy.  I remember the GM saying something along the lines of "we did all the work to sign him and they get the player with no effort."

You're probably thinking of Nabokov. Signed with the Wings but got claimed by the Isles when he tried to come over.

6 hours ago, MadDevil said:

I don't think he has to pass through waivers since it's a rather unique situation, but the league is pretty much just making **** up as they go along with this whole thing anyway, so who really knows. Bettman is probably looking for some violation he can nail the Devils with again if Kovy comes back.

Kinda like how Kovy honors contracts.

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Kinda like how Kovy honors contracts.

Considering the Devils got out from underneath that hideous contract, I'm actually glad he didn't honor it. It sucked to lose the player, but given the team's financial issues at the time, it was better for them in the long run.

I'm certainly not going to look at him as fondly as I did the first time though. I was a big Kovy fan, but now I just look at him like any other merc.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, yave1964 said:

return of Kovie to the NHL rumors getting louder every single day.

That ain't going to happen the GMs of other teams have to vote and it has to be unanimous to let him back in.

I can't see Devil's rivalries approving that one.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:47 PM, AJgoal said:

IIRC, he can't come back and sign with anyone but the Debs.

All kinds of BS around that - he should come back with the remainder of his previous contract in place, IMO.

And all the GM's must approve his return. Ain't going to happen.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And all the GM's must approve his return. Ain't going to happen.

Only if he wanted to come back as an unrestricted free agent. If he signs with the Devils, he can return without a vote:

NHL Bylaws (https://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ilya-kovalchuk-return-to-nhl-new-jersey-devils-bylaw-loophole):

Except as provided in Section 8.7 of this By-Law [which deals with professional players seeking reinstatement as amateurs], the Club on whose Voluntarily Retired List a player’s name has been registered may transfer his name back on its Reserve List at any time after the expiry of one year from the date of registration on the Voluntarily Retired List by filing any currently valid contract, option, or try-out.

Per McKenzie, Kovalchuk's agent has been granted permission to discuss deals with other clubs. The Devils would then sign him to the agreed upon deal and trade him. Of course, the Devils also have some say in the process since they own his rights and can veto sending to Pittsburgh, for example.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Only if he wanted to come back as an unrestricted free agent. If he signs with the Devils, he can return without a vote:

NHL Bylaws (https://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ilya-kovalchuk-return-to-nhl-new-jersey-devils-bylaw-loophole):

Except as provided in Section 8.7 of this By-Law [which deals with professional players seeking reinstatement as amateurs], the Club on whose Voluntarily Retired List a player’s name has been registered may transfer his name back on its Reserve List at any time after the expiry of one year from the date of registration on the Voluntarily Retired List by filing any currently valid contract, option, or try-out.

Per McKenzie, Kovalchuk's agent has been granted permission to discuss deals with other clubs. The Devils would then sign him to the agreed upon deal and trade him. Of course, the Devils also have some say in the process since they own his rights and can veto sending to Pittsburgh, for example.

I stand corrected.

21 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I hope they sign him and trade him to Haiti.

I'd take him on the sharks provided he doesn't want more than 6 million for 3 years and Meier is not one of the prospects going over.

5 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'd take him on the sharks provided he doesn't want more than 6 million for 3 years and Meier is not one of the prospects going over.

What would you be willing to give up for him?

Since this discussion was initiated in another thread I thought I'd start a new topic and merge the other posts here.  

Well yippee,   :sleep:  so another saga of what Kovy wants -- Kovy gets.  Well, there are a few hurdles to align before Kovalchuk can return.  First of all, he has to be signed by the Devils.  But of course, Kovalchuk doesn't want to play for the Devils.  He wants a sign and trade, and of course, he doesn't want to be a part of a team rebuild he wants to be on a contender.

Once all parties are in agreement, then on July 1 at the earliest, the Devils can sign Kovalchuk to the agreed-upon contract and make the agreed-upon trade. But are there any of the 31 teams that want him?  Kovalchuk is 34 years old with a bad back and knees and a crappy "team" attitude.  So what if he wants back in, why should the NHL want him back?

I hope the Shero and the other 30 GM's in the league set an example for players who out their contracts and let this past his prime prima donna watch the NHL from from across the ocean.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:47 PM, AJgoal said:

All kinds of BS around that - he should come back with the remainder of his previous contract in place, IMO

This.

Except I don't let him back, period.  You break contract and go play in the KHL?  Fine. But do it knowing there's no return.  You don't break contract, go make a little more money playing in a cess pool, and then say, "Screw it, I feel like coming back.  Wave your palm branches."

Screw that.

If the NHL wants to continue pretending they're the #1 league in the world, you make the players honor their contracts.   They have little recourse if a player does what Kovalchuk did on the front end, but they can set precedent by saying "you do this, you're done.  Enjoy Siberia."   прощай    proshchay.

20 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Once all parties are in agreement, then on July 1 at the earliest, the Devils can sign Kovalchuk to the agreed-upon contract and make the agreed-upon trade. But are there any of the 31 teams that want him?  

Kovalchuk to Flyers for Sanheim and Read.   e5    (sarcasm, and you know my feelings on it. Just figured I'd try to beat Eklund to it)

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Kovalchuk to Flyers for Sanheim and Read.   e5    (sarcasm, and you know my feelings on it. Just figured I'd try to beat Eklund to it)

I doubt Eklund will bite at this one.  I just can't think of a single reason why any GM who knows they need youth, skill and speed to be successful would even consider trading an asset for him.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

I doubt Eklund will bite at this one.  I just can't think of a single reason why any GM who knows they need youth, skill and speed to be successful would even consider trading an asset for him.

I completely agree.   Although, it's telling that the decision/consideration will be based on ROI & need rather than what it should be based on him him:  Principle.

You up and walked, comrade.   The grass was greener.  Go eat it.

17 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Sign him and expose him to the expansion draft, that'll fix him. 

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Well yippee,   :sleep:  so another saga of what Kovy wants -- Kovy gets.  Well, there are a few hurdles to align before Kovalchuk can return.  First of all, he has to be signed by the Devils.  But of course, Kovalchuk doesn't want to play for the Devils.  He wants a sign and trade, and of course, he doesn't want to be a part of a team rebuild he wants to be on a contender.

Toronto better not sign this clown either. He's a poor man's Ovechkin. A one-dimensional goal scorer that is not a team player, and contributes nothing else to the team. Can't trust him. Can't win with him. Another prima donna whiner that will suck the life out of a team. 

No Shattenkirk and no Kovalchuk. :nonono:

Archived