Poll: Conn Smythe voting

yave1964

Who would earn your vote for the Conn Smythe award through the first two rounds?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who would receive your vote for the Conn Smythe right now?

• Pekka Rinne
    • Erik Karlsson
    • Evgeni Malkin
    • Ryan Getzlaf

If the Conn Smythe were to be awarded right now after two rounds who would you choose:

I left out players for teams that have been eliminated such as Draisatl who was brilliant against the Ducks in the last round and just chose one from each team. The candidates:

PEKKA RINNE 8-2 with a microscopic 1.37 goals against and a ridiculous .951 save pct. Easily the best goalie so far in the playoffs.

EVGENI MALKIN Leads all scorers with 18 points in 12 games has elevated his game to an entirely different level. Tough choice out of Pittsburgh where Crosby is kicking butt and Jake Guentzel leads all players with 9 goals. Then there is Fleury who has not been brilliant but has been good enough to win two straight series. I went with Malkin but wow was this a tough choice out of Pittsburgh.

RYAN GETZLAF: Has 8 goals and 15 points in 11 games and seems to have won every single important faceoff he has taken and has been a physical force as well.

ERIK KARLSSON 13 points in 12 games and brilliant defense, Karlsson is playing 29 minutes a night in spite of a serious heel injury.

From that group? Rinne. 

I think Fleury would be the Pens' "representative". I know Malkin is leading the playoffs in points but that's the quietest 18 points I've seen in a long time. He's taken a few dumb penalties as well.

Kind of hard to argue against Rinne at the present moment.  Granted I know it is a team sport, but Rinne held the Blackhawks to a grand total of 3 goals in 4 games with 2 shutouts.  That speaks volumes in my book.

If Predators advance to SCF then it is Rinne hands down.

30 minutes ago, B21 said:

From that group? Rinne. 

I think Fleury would be the Pens' "representative". I know Malkin is leading the playoffs in points but that's the quietest 18 points I've seen in a long time. He's taken a few dumb penalties as well.

I agree with Fleury being the Pens rep over Malkin in this conversation. When the playoffs started he wasn't even suppose to play and he has led them to the ECF.

I'm not saying he deserves the Conn Smythe but I've loved Getzlafs game so far. Rinnes numbers speak for themselves...incredible. Malkins been very good, but as mentioned Fleurys been the man for the Pens. Karlsson has proven he isn't just a pretty face. Nice to have players from every position in the running.

32 minutes ago, B21 said:

I think Fleury

I know he wasn't listed in the poll group, but I have to agree here.

Call me crazy, but if MAF hadn't stepped in and stepped up when Murray went down, I highly doubt the Pens are in the Eastern Finals, regardless of what a player like Malkin has done.

Not taking anything away from anyone on the poll or any other player for that matter (Rinne and Anderson have been incredible as far as goalies go, while the same could be said for players like Getzlaf and Pageau), but to me, MAF has been the single biggest difference maker for his particular team.

And if the Conn Smythe means player to be most valuable to his team, then Fleury is it.

Heck, I bet even @notfondajane would have to agree with that in this instance. :)

Getzlaf or Karlsson for me.

Rinne has been outstanding, but I'm not sure he's the sole reason they are winning.  Same with Malkin or Fleury.

Getzlaf has more or less carried Anaheim and Karlsson is, imo, the only reason (other than Pageau) that the Sens are still in it.

In addition to Malkin, I think an honorable mention could go to Jake Guentzel.  Malkin has 5 goals and 13 assists for 18 points in 12 games where Guentzel has 9 goals and 5 assists for 14 points in 12 games.  For comparison's sake Crosby has 4 Goals and 10 assists in 11 games.

However, looking at Rinne's stats..they speak for themselves.  10 Games, 8 Wins, 1.37 GAA, with a phenomenal save % of 0.951 with 2 shutouts.

Hands down, I believe it is Rinne's to lose if the Preds make it to the SCF.

EDIT: Agree with @vis, Getzlaf should be in the mix as well.  Can't argue there.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I know he wasn't listed in the poll group, but I have to agree here.

Call me crazy, but if MAF hadn't stepped in and stepped up when Murray went down, I highly doubt the Pens are in the Eastern Finals, regardless of what a player like Malkin has done.

Not taking anything away from anyone on the poll or any other player for that matter (Rinne and Anderson have been incredible as far as goalies go, while the same could be said for players like Getzlaf and Pageau), but to me, MAF has been the single biggest difference maker for his particular team.

And if the Conn Smythe means player to be most valuable to his team, then Fleury is it.

Heck, I bet even @notfondajane would have to agree with that in this instance. :)

Except for period 3 of game 5 and game 6 of the Washington series, I would agree! 

It's funny Getzlaf is on this list.  He wouldn't be my MVP on the Ducks so far.  I mean, I guess we're going with points scored, but Kesler.  They may be here without Getzlaf.  They're not here without Kesler.

Anyway, gotta go Fleury as the Pens' representative.   I then go Crosby, then Guentzel, then Malkin.    Guentzel doesn't just have 9 goals.  He has 37.5% of their game-winning goals (3/8).   Malkin is contributing, for sure.  But he's not the MVP on that team, let alone league.

Karlsson is the clear MVP on the Senators.

Rinne for the Preds.

If the playoffs ended right this moment, tonight, it's a toss-up between Karlsson and Rinne for me, with apologies to Fleury (because I think the Pens are home right now without Fleury).   Just like Fleury, the Sens are golfing without Karlsson and the Preds are home  without Rinne.

Hell, Karlsson is playing with two broken feet and on a team no one even considered, so I guess I'll go with him.

Archived