At Long Last, STEIGY IS GONE!!!!!!!!

nossagog

So happy to read this. I will actually watch Pens games now. 

Im being serious. I wouldn't watch because he was such a dick bag. Heck-my kid goes to college outside of Pitt. And even his college buddies who are Pens fans hate him. That's bad. 

Wow!!

You mean...even ROOT SPORTS thought Steigy was bad for business!!??

Hahahahaha.....

I don't know what kind of play by play guy Steve Mears will be, but I enjoyed his hockey reporting from NHL Network.

Good luck, Steve. I too may also choose the Pens feed now when given a choice.:)

17 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

So happy to read this. I will actually watch Pens games now. 

Im being serious. I wouldn't watch because he was such a dick bag. Heck-my kid goes to college outside of Pitt. And even his college buddies who are Pens fans hate him. That's bad. 

I don't think there will be anyone in the Pittsburgh area that will say that they are sad to hear this.  When your own fans don't like the announcer, that's telling you something. 

2 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I wouldn't watch because he was such a dick bag.

@DaGreatGazoo- Kudos, that is a perfect description of Steigerwald!  

I guess his departure now makes Jack Edwards the worst PxP guy and new #1 dick bag. 

Y'know...this thread got me thinkin'.....maybe I don't even hate the Pens. Maybe it was always Steigie...and Doc Emerik that I always hated. Maybe now I can watch Pittsburgh play and not get that nauseated feeling in my gut.

As much.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Y'know...this thread got me thinkin'.....maybe I don't even hate the Pens. Maybe it was always Steigie...and Doc Emerik that I always hated. Maybe now I can watch Pittsburgh play and not get that nauseated feeling in my gut.

As much.

You'll be a Pens fan soon enough! Lol! 

Halle-frickin-lujah....Such great news for anyone who loves hockey. I actually enjoy listening to opposing team feeds to get a different perspective but couldn't do that with the Pens whilst that muppet was doing play by play.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:16 AM, flyercanuck said:

As much.

Reported.

On 5/17/2017 at 6:18 PM, ruxpin said:

Wow, now I can watch Pens games with the sound ON! 

You know, anyone that can make Steve Coates sound like a competent announcer  by comparison has got to be some kind of record for bad......

6 hours ago, flyerrod said:

You know, anyone that can make Steve Coates sound like a competent announcer  by comparison has got to be some kind of record for bad......

Hmm...separated at birth? Or in disguise? YOU make the call............. :shifty:

Steigy-Erry.jpg  Heckle_and_Jeckle.png.jpg

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...separated at birth? Or in disguise? YOU make the call............. :shifty:

Steigy-Erry.jpg  Heckle_and_Jeckle.png.jpg

Does anyone know if Errey was also shitcanned?

@Samifan

As far as I know, Bob Errey will still be doing color commentary.

That may NOT be a bad thing though.

He may actually change his style if he is working with someone like Mears who is more national broadcast slanted.

Maybe now we can hear what Errey REALLY knows about the game, instead of him having to constantly try to play up to Steigerwald's Penguins Fan Club act.

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Samifan

As far as I know, Bob Errey will still be doing color commentary.

That may NOT be a bad thing though.

He may actually change his style if he is working with someone like Mears who is more national broadcast slanted.

Maybe now we can hear what Errey REALLY knows about the game, instead of him having to constantly try to play up to Steigerwald's Penguins Fan Club act.

Yeah - Errey is actually pretty good in my opinion. I'd actually like to see him in studio and let Jay Caufield do some color commentary. I think he's underrated.

24 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

What was the reasoning/fallout/decision--whatever it's called-behind Lange being pulled off TV a few years ago.  Always liked him.  

He has the perfect face for radio? Unlike Doc Emerick, His creativity at the mike is entertaining and not perplexing.  I have no clue why he was pulled from the tv. Maybe they did not approve of his Mean Gene Okerlund school of broadcasting degree..

On 5/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, DaGreatGazoo said:

What was the reasoning/fallout/decision--whatever it's called-behind Lange being pulled off TV a few years ago.  Always liked him.  

$$$$$   Steigy had been with the organization for some time, and he was in the radio booth for a few years along with Lange.  Back in those days, Lange also did the "Simulcasts" most games doing both the radio and tv broadcasts.  But it all came down to money.    When Fox sports took over the Pens telecasts, they did not want to pay for Lange what he was making.  They had a pretty bad time in negotiating his first contract for a short term deal, where Lange took a pay cut. So Steigy was cheaper. The Pens as an organization had no say in this at that point because Fox had the rights to the games and to have whomever they wanted in the booth.      So Fox moved in Steigy, and the Pens, whom still owned the radio rights, kept Lange on for radio.  They are actually pretty lucky he stayed around after he lost the TV deal as I believe there were other outlets that wanted him.   Its funny because if you go on the Pens official site, when you get game highlights for goals, you get the game video with Lange's goal calls.  They even had a section called "Mike Lange's Radio Replays" for a while.  

By the way, when this happened, fans were furious about it.(and most still are)

One other possible reason was that there were tales of Make Lange a that time having a bit of a drinking problem ..

• 4 months later...

Didn't see the first two games, but caught the Nashville game on Saturday.   I was very pleased with Steve Mears as the play by play guy.  Not loud and obnoxious. Actually understood what was going on. And seemed to relate the game play in a close to neutral way without adding too much homerism.  

How refreshing!!!

Archived