Windsor Wins it ALL : Memorial Cup 2017 thread

jammer2

And then there were 4. All league finals are over. Seattle Thunderbirds from the WHL, Saint John Sea Dogs from the QMJHL, Erie Otters from the OHL and the host Windsor Spitfires will all vie for the Memorial Cup Championship!!

Lot's of drafted players on these 4 teams. Saint John's has the most drafted players with 10. Windsor is 2nd with 9, Erie has 8 and Seattle brings up the rear with a still respectable 4.

Drafted player on Saint John's Sea Dogs

1)Jakub Zboril...Boston  Round 1 #13th overall ...2015 draft.

2)Thomas Chabot ....Ottawa Round 1-18th overall, 2015 draft

3)Julien Gauthier ...Carolina Round 1 - 21 overall, 2016 draft

4)Nathan Noel...Chicago...Round 4...113th overall 2015 draft

5)Mattieu Joseph..Tampa Bay Round 4 - 120 overall draft

6)Callum Booth...Carolina Round 4 - 93rd overall 2015 draft

7)Samuel Dove McFalls ...Philadelphia Round 4 ...98th overall. 2015 draft

8)Spencer Smallman...Carolina Round 5...138th overall 2015 draft

9)Simon Bourque ...Montreal..Round 6...177th overall 2015 draft

10)Bokondji Imaha...Tampa Bay ...Round 6...138th overall 2015 draft

I could not find any ranked players from St.John's for the 2017 draft.

disregard....

6 174     Sami Moilanen RW 5' 9.5"  
7 199 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Matthew Wedman LW  

Windsor Spitfires Drafted Players
1)Mikhail Sergachev....Montreal...Round 1...9th overall
2)Logan Brown...Ottawa...Round 1 ...11th overall.
3)Logan Stanley....Winnipeg...Round 1 ...18th overall
4)Graham Knott....Chicago...Round 2...54th overall...
5)Julius Nattinen...Anaheim...Round 2 ...59th overall
6)Jeremy Bracco...Toronto...Round 2....61st overall
7)Sean Day....New York Rangers...Round 3....81st overall...
8)Christano DiGiacinto..Tampa Bay.....Round 6....170th overall...unsigned, Free Agent
9)Jeremiah Addison....Montreal...Round 7...207th overall

Windsor Spitfire Prospects for 2017 Draft.....

Picks from 2017 NHL Mock Draft

(* = Junior; ** = Sophomore; *** = Freshman)
1 3 Dallas logo Dallas Gabriel Vilardi C 6' 2" 192
4 112 Vancouver logo Vancouver Trade Icon Michael DiPietro G 6' 0.5" 191

2018 Draft Notes from Spits....Connor Cochoran
The Spits 1st round pick last year, played half the year as a Defensemen, but Windsor was so deep on defense, he was forced to play forward to get on the ice and looked very nice doing it. He had 5 and 5 assists playing sparingly and sitting out a lot. This kid is special, one of the most beautiful skating strides I've ever had the pleasure of watching live. Personally I think he's a better d man...but he turns 17 in Aug and is already 6'1 and 180..hed..if he grows a few more inches....watch out. He reminds me of a young unpolished Scott Niedermayer. Watch him shoot up the rankings next year. A lot of scouts have not seen him.

Erie Otters Drafted Players
1)Dylan Strome.....Arizona....Round 1 #3rd overall. 2015 draft
2)Alex DeBrincat....Chicago....Round 2  #39th overall 2016 draft
3)Eric Cernak....LA Kings...Round 2  #43 overall...2015 draft.
4)Taylor Raddysh...Tampa Bay.. Round 2 #58th overall...2016 draft
5)Warren Foegele....Carolina...Round #67th overall....2014 draft
6)Anthony Cirelli ....Tampa Bay....Round 3  #72 overall 2015 draft

7)Jordan Sambrook......Detroit....Round 5...#137th overall

8)Kyle Petit.....Vancouver....Round 6....#156th oveall...2014 draft

Erie Otter Ranked players for 2017 Draft

2 34 Las Vegas logo Las Vegas Ivan Lodnia RW 5' 10" 180

Seattle Thunderbird Drafted Players

1)Matthew Barzal....New York Islanders.....Round 1....#16th overall  2015 draft
2)Ryan Gropp....New York Rangers....Round 2......overall...2015 draft
3)keegan Kolesar....Columbus....Round 3.....69th overall.....2015 draft
4)Ethan Bear......Edmonton ....Round 5....124th overall   2015 draft

3 78 Arizona logo Arizona Trade Icon Jarret Tyszka D 6' 2" 182
6 174 San Jose logo San Jose Sami Moilanen RW 5' 9.5" 180
7 199 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Matthew Wedman LW 6' 3"

So....we have an odd situation...a Memorial Cup LOADED with draft picks, 31 in total, but only 6 players projected to go in the 2017 draft. You would usually have more prospects than that. That tells me a lot of these teams may have given up youth and promise for to upgrade the team for the Mem Cup run. Nevertheless, a TON of talent. 8 first round picks among the 4 teams. A total of 7 2nd round picks also.

1) Seattle goalie...Dylan Toth....coach....Steve Konawalchuk.

2) Saint John's goalie....Callum Booth...Carolina 4th rounder.....coach Danny Flynn

3)Erie Otters goalie....Troy Timpano....Kris Knoblaluch

4)Windsor Spitfires goalie ...Michael DiPietro...ranked 2nd to 4th round. ...Spits coach Rocky Thompson

All goalies seem entrenched and probably all have long leashes.

Teams most represented....

1)Tampa Bay...5 players including big time prospects Cireiili (already has a Mem Cup winning goal with Oshawa) and Taylor Raddysh. 

2)Carolina....4 players including future star Julian Gautheir and possible starting goalie Callum Booth...they have 3 playes on St.John's alone. 

3)Chicago, 3 players all figure to be part of the Hawks forward depth, Noel, Knott and DeBrincat, the leader of his team.

4)Ottawa has 2 star 1st rounders playing, Thomas Chabot and Logan Brown, but huge parts of their future going forward.

5)Montreal...star d man Sergachev leads the Habs contingent, a big part of their future. They have 3 players going.

Normally I would go for the OHL champ Erie, but I think St, Johns takes it this year. Seattle is a bit of a surprise from the West. The Spits should be well rested after bowing out in the 1st round...that hasn't stopped teams from winning before though.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Normally I would go for the OHL champ Erie, but I think St, Johns takes it this year. Seattle is a bit of a surprise from the West. The Spits should be well rested after bowing out in the 1st round...that hasn't stopped teams from winning before though.

Not offering excuses for the first round exit, but DAMN, that Western Conf was like a murders row. 5 teams out of the CHL top 10 came from the Western Conf....somebody was gonna get jammed.

Important to note, Valardi and DiPeitro will have every fan and scout looking at them and how they perform under extreme stress. Each mistake will be amplified...BUT, if they stand out, even lead Windsor to a win, maybe they move up. Don't know if Vilardi can move up, but DiPet's can go from 4th round to 1st if he stands on his head type of thing. Big advantage for Vilardi to still be playing though.

Not sure how much depth Seattle has, on the surface, without knowing much about them, they seem like a one line team. St.John's seems to have the most talent overall. The Spits have a decent team, but they never really meshed and I HATE the fact Logan Brown is the center of our offense. ...he sucks. 

The west was certainly a killer...it usually is.

Windsor had the benefit of knowing they were in the Memorial Cup before the season started, so they had built the team, and then bulked up accordingly. There are no excuses. 

I think Vilardi will be fine under the pressure. I'd be happy to get him on the Flyers...just not as a top 2 pick. I have a slight preference of Glass over him, but he's my 4th favorite prospect in this draft. Of course I'm not even looking at dmen this year. Not much of a Brown fan myself. 

Should be fun.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The west was certainly a killer...it usually is.

Windsor had the benefit of knowing they were in the Memorial Cup before the season started, so they had built the team, and then bulked up accordingly. There are no excuses. 

I think Vilardi will be fine under the pressure. I'd be happy to get him on the Flyers...just not as a top 2 pick. I have a slight preference of Glass over him, but he's my 4th favorite prospect in this draft. Of course I'm not even looking at dmen this year. Not much of a Brown fan myself. 

Should be fun.

Sounds funny but the Spits defense might have got worse with the return of 1st rounder Logan Stanley. He's a big project d-man, who stands 6'7 without skates, well over 7 foot with skates. His backwards skating has been a problem, fast wingers blow by him. Takes some bad PIM and lacks vision. His reach and physicality are strong points, but I'd rather the steady Robertson than Stanley.  He really got exposed badly in the 4 on 4 OT. Lost a few games singlehandly that way for us.

Yep, you are right, the Spits had a chance to beef up just like the other Western Conf powerhouses. No excuses.

I "really" think DiPietro is a world class starting goalie. He gets up and down quicker than anyone I've seen in a while, great reflex goalie. He might just play his way into the 2nd round, or higher.

Hoping Tyler Nother gets looked at, passed up in the draft, big 6'4 dman, all defense, but mobile. 

Just getting home from work, popping on the Spits vs Sea Dogs clash. Very Anxious.

Tonight was the only game I had to work for, booked the rest of them off, but decided not to pay the 650 for the tourny, highway robbery I tell ya. Just gonna watch them from home. 

After opening up the tourny with a HUGE win against favoured St.Johns. 

Now, Windsor EXPLODES against WHL rep Seattle!! 

O-M-G ....Can we win this thing??  Is it possible??

A few things...Windsor has won 9 straight games in the Memorial Cup dating back to 09-10....only Kamploops has more with 12....if we hold on tonight, it's 10 games.

3 goals in 38 seconds....this HAS to be a Memorial Cup record??

EDIT....3 in 38 seconds ties the all time Mem Cup record, last done in 78

Erie 12   St.John's 5.......WOW, what goes on here. St.Johns goes through the QMJHL playoffs with only one loss in 3 rounds and then get battered and BASHED by the OHL teams, wow. Shocking....really.

Strome with 4G 2A Raddysh with 2G 4A....wow, just wow.

Windsor 4   Erie 2

SO VERY PROUD OF MY SPITS!!!!!

Windsor goes 3-0 in the round robin tourny and earns an automatic bye into the final on Sunday. They play the winner of the Semi between Erie and St.Johns on Friday.

DiPietro was amazing. awesome. So much fun....this is GREAT!!

Just now, hf101 said:

Congrats on your Spits @jammer2  best of luck in the finals.

Thanks 101....it's a very entertaining style they are employing. Pure meat and potatoes hockey, throw it down low, punish dmen, dig out the puck....they cycle the puck and just impose their will, very fun to watch.

Just now, jammer2 said:

Thanks 101....it's a very entertaining style they are employing. Pure meat and potatoes hockey, throw it down low, punish dmen, dig out the puck....they cycle the puck and just impose their will, very fun to watch.

I only had a chance to watch the last 10 min of the 3rd period, they play well and definitely have a good shot to win it this year.

I tell ya, this Veleno kid on St.John's is something else. He can't be drafted until 2018. He was granted exceptional status as a 15 year old in the QMJHL, something that league rarely if ever does. If he's not a top 5 pick next year, I would be shocked. Excellent wheels, shot, hockey sense, very nice size for a 16 year old, he turns 17 this summer.  He might be 6'3 and 210 when it's all said and done, maybe more.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187148

What a messed up chain of events.  A penalty is called on Erie, but no whistle and yet the goal is disallowed.  Then St Johns has a PP and scores.    :dizzysmiley-1:

On 5/26/2017 at 8:56 PM, hf101 said:

What a messed up chain of events.  A penalty is called on Erie, but no whistle and yet the goal is disallowed.  Then St Johns has a PP and scores.    :dizzysmiley-1:

That was messed up. I do think Erie was just to fast for St.John's. Their transition game was amazing. Whenever an Otter gets a turn over, the rest of the team is GONE...in an instant, the middle of the ice is flooded with players going the other way into the offensive zone. The Spits will have their hands full tonight. One of the only counters for Erie's speed is to play a forceful down low cycle game that keeps the puck away from them. Windsor is grittier, tougher and has a better goalie, we will see if that is enough.

edit....and oh yeah, 6000 screaming fans desperate for a victory. Tickets selling for over 500 a piece for the final tonight.

• hf101 changed the title to Windsor Wins it ALL : Memorial Cup 2017 thread

@jammer2

I'll bet you are celebrating big time.  What an awesome accomplishment for the Spitfires to win this.  A great game and an exciting game to watch.  

Congrats!

Thanks guys!!!! Just great to watch this!!!   OUR 3rd Memorial Cup, first since 09 and 10!!

So proud of this team, they deserve all the praise being heaped on them. I also believe, a new Memorial Cup record for consecutive wins by a team, 12 straight, going back to 09l

Just got back from the Spits victory parade, a great time!  A nice turn out of 2000 or so....at one point we were all cheering MIK-EY......hometown goalie turned hero! 

Some cool Memorial Cup stats for anybody interested.

They started playing for this trophy in 1918. Windsor is now tied for most Championships ever with 3 and they are tied for 2nd for most years advancing to the final game,  4 times. Warren Rychel, our beloved GM is now tied for 1st all time with 3 Memorial Cup Championships as a GM with 3. I would say he just wrote his ticket to a NHL GM job. It was amazing the job he did building this team. He literally made a trade a month, started in Oct and finished in Feb. His big acquisition Bracco (Leafs pick) he paid 3 second rounders....in 2022, 2023 and 2024....LOL, that killed me. 

http://mastercardmemorialcup.ca/history-records/

Archived