Windsor Wins it ALL : Memorial Cup 2017 thread

jammer2

On 5/29/2017 at 4:39 AM, jammer2 said:

Thanks guys!!!! Just great to watch this!!!   OUR 3rd Memorial Cup, first since 09 and 10!!

So proud of this team, they deserve all the praise being heaped on them. I also believe, a new Memorial Cup record for consecutive wins by a team, 12 straight, going back to 09l

Congratulations nice to see your team het the win.

Now for my issue with the memorial Cup and it is nothing personal against Windsor or any other team for that matter.

I just think they should do away with the automatic berth for the host team.

Just don't think it's fair to the other teams in all of CHL.

It would be like the Minnesota Vikings getting an automatic bid in the NFC championship game next year because they are hosting the Superbowl kind of.

I don't like it.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now for my issue with the memorial Cup and it is nothing personal against Windsor or any other team for that matter.

It would be like the Minnesota Vikings getting an automatic bid in the NFC championship game next year because they are hosting the Superbowl kind of.

I don't like it.

I have never liked the automatic home team birth into the tourny. The problem is, there would just not be enough interest from junior hockey fans if the home team was not included. It's a sad statement, but totally true. As it was, Windsor only sold out two games, the final and the regular round robin game against Erie. If Windsor was not in the tourny, you would have seen crowds around 2000 to 3000.....tops.....AND that is Windsor, a city that is junior hockey crazy most of the time. The only way to sell out this tourny, or at least have respectable attendance is to have the home team compete.

Windsor was the best team here, but it's kinda rare to have the home team win it all....but damn, they swept through the entire tourny, going undefeated.....they deserved it, no doubt about it. Maybe the most unfair thing about the whole thing was Windsor got knocked out in the first round by the defending Mem Cup Champs the London Knights....and got to sit for 44 days while the other teams were involved in outright wars. Windsor got healthy and got to peak practice wise leading up the first game. 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't like it.

Especially when the "commissioner' (who's a piece of work in himself) flat out refuses to give certain teams the chance to host. 

I'm glad for jammer, cause he's a good guy. But does a team that gets eliminated in the 1st round (by a team eliminated in the 2nd round) really deserve to be champion after the other three teams went through another month and a half of playoff hockey beating the crap out of each other while the host rests up and stays healthy?  Shawinigan won it the same way 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I have never liked the automatic home team birth into the tourny. The problem is, there would just not be enough interest from junior hockey fans if the home team was not included. It's a sad statement, but totally true. As it was, Windsor only sold out two games, the final and the regular round robin game against Erie. If Windsor was not in the tourny, you would have seen crowds around 2000 to 3000.....tops.....AND that is Windsor, a city that is junior hockey crazy most of the time. The only way to sell out this tourny, or at least have respectable attendance is to have the home team compete.

Windsor was the best team here, but it's kinda rare to have the home team win it all....but damn, they swept through the entire tourny, going undefeated.....they deserved it, no doubt about it. Maybe the most unfair thing about the whole thing was Windsor got knocked out in the first round by the defending Mem Cup Champs the London Knights....and got to sit for 44 days while the other teams were involved in outright wars. Windsor got healthy and got to peak practice wise leading up the first game. 

I was unaware of these issues which as you say would explain the format. Sucks that junior hockey fans don't travel well.

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But does a team that gets eliminated in the 1st round (by a team eliminated in the 2nd round) really deserve to be champion after the other three teams went through another month and a half of playoff hockey beating the crap out of each other while the host rests up and stays healthy?

No. My point exactly.

22 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Especially when the "commissioner' (who's a piece of work in himself) flat out refuses to give certain teams the chance to host. 

I'm glad for jammer, cause he's a good guy. But does a team that gets eliminated in the 1st round (by a team eliminated in the 2nd round) really deserve to be champion after the other three teams went through another month and a half of playoff hockey beating the crap out of each other while the host rests up and stays healthy?  Shawinigan won it the same way 5 years ago.

I was very proud when my fellow Windsorites booed Branch mercilessly. Always good for a laugh, Dave is universally despised, but Windsor kicks in a high level of pure hatred towards him....lol. 

I'm torn thrilled to have won, but it does feel kinda cheap. Even when you factor in they lost to the defending Mem Cup Champs. Parsons was out of this world at the end of that series. Then, Erie won a razor sharp 7 game series over London.

Both London and Windsor and London vs Erie were decided in the 3rd period of game 7. We did beat Erie twice though, one of them decisively. DiPietro was the difference, no cheapies the whole tourny. It will be criminal if he does not go 1st round now.

13 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

DiPietro was the difference, no cheapies the whole tourny. It will be criminal if he does not go 1st round now.

I doubt he goes 1st round. 6'3", Jake Oettinger out of Boston University will likely go before DiPietro too and Oettinger is currently projected to go in the 2nd round.

53 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I doubt he goes 1st round. 6'3", Jake Oettinger out of Boston University will likely go before DiPietro too and Oettinger is currently projected to go in the 2nd round.

I just don't believe those rankings. I stand firm DiPietro is a franchise goalie. A really good team is gonna target him as goalie of the future. He's raw in some aspects, but his skating is literally the best I've ever seen in the OHL. That is how he gets up and down so quick and side to side so quick. Honestly, people will laugh, but he reminds me of a young Tony Esposito.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I was very proud when my fellow Windsorites booed Branch mercilessly. Always good for a laugh, Dave is universally despised, but Windsor kicks in a high level of pure hatred towards him....lol. 

At least he shows his face in Windsor...he won't come to Barrie even when we're in the OHL championship. Not once.

And then there's the fact he refuses to let Barrie host the Mem Cup.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

At least he shows his face in Windsor...he won't come to Barrie even when we're in the OHL championship. Not once.

And then there's the fact he refuses to let Barrie host the Mem Cup.

I think the problem is capacity of 4100 at the Molson Arena. There is a lot of competition that is well over 5000. Windsor holds 6100 and people were making comments it was small. Since your arena is only 22 years old, I don't see a new one on the horizon (looks very nice from the outside btw), which might hold them back.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why?

I don't know...why doesn't the commissioner of a league not come to championship games in a certain city?

I'm pretty sure every other commissioner in every other league goes to every other championship game in every other city. And it's not like he's only been a no-show once. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know...why doesn't the commissioner of a league not come to championship games in a certain city?

I'm pretty sure every other commissioner in every other league goes to every other championship game in every other city. And it's not like he's only been a no-show once. 

Yeah certainly strange.

Archived