Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

But he wouldnt be a starter this season. He'd be the back-up

I would be ok with Stolie being a backup or at least given a chance to backup Neuvy.......till he trips on a banana peel and is out for 4 weeks and he is the starter...it is time to find out what the kid can do.

And once we are are honest this club still is a border line playoff team anyways....worst case they get another good pick.

1 hour ago, JJMason33 said:

You are correct.  We need one of Stolarz or Lyons to back-up and the other to be the AHL starter next season.  This is so we know which one can be dealt because both Hart and Sandstrom need AHL time the following year.

I don't have a problem with Nuevirth.  He isn't terrible and the injuries aren't of the chronic type.  I expect Nuevirth to be the starter unless Vegas picks him, which I still feel is a low possibility.  He will likely play about 50 games.

I just can't imagine Neuvirth starting 50 games in the NHL.  It's probably a mental block.  It's just not something I can conceive of happening.  

My fear is that Stolarz and Lyon would both need to clear Waivers in order to go back and forth to the AHL as they would both be on new contracts come September.

Couldn't agree more.  Though I just don't see the need to make "moves" just to get a slightly better "vet".  Nuevirth is a vet, and he has also played well most of the time in front of bad teams and bad defenses.  If you can somehow land Bishop on a 3 year deal, fine... but otherwise lets move this process along.

Well luckily Bishop is off the table and he got 6 years.  It's a retirement contract for him.  

In reference to the moves and the better vet,  I'm mostly thinking in terms of what Hextall has already said, specifically that they will be doing some goalie shopping in the off season.  With the kids in the system, he can't be thinking of a long term deal for anyone.  If Pekke Rinne was on the market he could consider it, but as things are, the only reason to shop for a goalie right now would be

A) A veteran presence to responsibly eat up minutes and starts in order to:

1a) back up Neuvirth

1b) act as Neuvirth's starter

1c) act as a tandem with Neuvirth

1d) REPLACE NEUVIRTH because you don't envision Neuvirth being on the team come the start of the season.

I still think 1d is the most likely scenario.  They don't "need" to fill in a roster slot.  They have the proper number of goalies for the NHL and AHL teams.  I guess if they want Madsen to go play in Reading, they could sign a Leighton type to hoover in the minors just in case of catastrophic failure or injury to the three goalies ahead of him.  This has happened before I guess, but I don't think you really plan for something like that, you have to react to it when it goes down.

Anyway, I'm not a Neuvirth hater.  I just don't get the feeling that the plan is for him to be the starter next year.  

"Bail" them out of what?  We will have at least 4 Defenseman with 3-0 years of NHL experience, possibly more.  And possible 4-5 forwards with 1 or less years.  I am definitely ok with just playing Nuevirth and Stolarz or Lyons next year.  In fact, next year is supposed to be another really DEEP draft.  If we end up with another high pick because our young players are adjusting to the NHL I'm ok with it.

Vis was more concerned about being hung out to dry by a young D being detrimental to a young goalie and being failed by a young goalie being detrimental to a young D. 

I'm less worried about it.  It's a Crucible. I think playing another season of "not really any ind of  system" will be worse for this team's development. 

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I'm less worried about it.  It's a Crucible. I think playing another season of "not really any ind of  system" will be worse for this team's development. 

#coach'sfault2018! :ph34r:

If this team isn't playing "any kind of system" what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is Hackstol doing?

But, really, as we look at things, is there anything that this roster will do - even with the #2 and the Rubstovs, etc. of the world - or any "system" that will seriously compete with the Crosby/Malkin/Kessel monster on the other side of the state in the next 3-5 years?

Because I'm not really seeing it. YMMV.

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

My fear is that Stolarz and Lyon would both need to clear Waivers in order to go back and forth to the AHL as they would both be on new contracts come September.

Lyon has two years of waiver exemption or 60 NHL games played remaining. Stolarz has one year remaining. So neither is subject to waivers next season.

1 hour ago, vis said:

I certainly don't want him as the starter.  Agree that if he's on the roster it would be a problem.  It would mean either (a) they did not sign another veteran netminder, or (b) they did sign a veteran netminder and opted to keep Stolarz in the AHL.  Not a good thing either way.

We're in total agreement.  I just feel like because Hextall said they'd be trying to find another goalie that it means they'll either be losing Neuvirth somehow or planning a tandem with Neuvirth and another guy.  Obviously between the two the former is my preference over the latter.  Also, that and I can't imagine Neuvirth actually staying healthy enough to play a majority of games next year.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Yeah, it would have been nice to see him more than we did, but not sure I lay a lot of blame Hakstol.  To be fair, Mason went on a hot streak for the better part of when Stolarz was called up earlier in the season.  Would have been tough, imo, to make a change.  Maybe there was a back-to-back game outside of that in which it might have made sense to see Stolarz.  Outside of that, I don't think I have a major problem with how Stolarz was used (or wasn't).  Unless someone can refresh my memory of something specific...

Even on a hot streak, there's no reason to play Mason back to back nights or against the Devils (a team Mason has NEVER beaten and which Stolarz grew up near and would have had friends and family in the crowd for) in the middle of the season when Stolarz hadn't been disastrous, he'd been decent.  

Players tend to perform well in front of crowds that mean something to them (Giroux's frequently has great games in Ottawa and his best game of the year came there after he got engaged to a girl also from Ottawa).

I didn't think Stolarz should have gotten more than 2, maaaayyybe 3 more games in that stretch, but even in just 2 more games against different competition, the coach, the teammates and the organization (not to mention the fans) would have a much better idea of what they're looking at in Stolarz.  

As it is now, there's a kid with great numbers in limited exposure against weaker teams whose worst performance came at the hands of the Rangers when he was forced to start consecutive nights (after getting pulled off a Bus headed to Scranton and arriving to the Stadium after the opening faceoff in the first game) because Mason got the flu and Neuvirth got 'the vapors' before a first period face off. After that game they didn't use him again until the last game of the season (which as probably a dumb idea) because although he played well and lost (possibly in a display of extreme sportsmanship) in the shootout even though they knew he'd be playing again right away and Mason would not.  Not saying all the extra travel and pointless start and OT and shootout contributed to his injury.  Just didn't contribute to him being rested for the AHL playoffs which would have been more useful to the player and possibly the organization in the long run.

He's at least intriguing enough to wish I could have seen more of him.  

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

I would not count on Neuvy taking on the full time starter position.   Guy just cant stay healthy.   Honestly, I am hoping to see LV select him but I don't think it will happen.   I think we will lose Raff in the expansion but time will tell.   

If they are going into the season with Neuvy and Stolarz that is a very big gamble.   I am not sold on Stolarz and his injury only makes me question it more.  He looked decent in his time with the Flyers but he was average in the AHL behind a pretty good team.   

If I am Hextall I am looking everywhere for a stopgap goalie.  If there are a few young dmen on the roster next year we can't expect them to be like Prov.   We have to expect mistakes and with questions in goal it could lead to an utter disaster.    

I don't understand what the gamble is?  Are we going to all of a sudden become Stanley Cup contenders with Budaj or Elliot?  Are we at risk of missing the playoffs for the first time in 25 years?  There is nothing on the line for next season.  There is no window closing that suggests we need to get a goalie now or else...  Heck I would rather stay with Nuevirth even if he gets injured and plays only 1 game and Stolarz and Lyons have to play...  I'm just fine being patient 1 more year then getting a log jam at goalie and possibly having to deal with a bad contract.  That is the bigger gamble.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

#coach'sfault2018! :ph34r:

If this team isn't playing "any kind of system" what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is Hackstol doing?

But, really, as we look at things, is there anything that this roster will do - even with the #2 and the Rubstovs, etc. of the world - or any "system" that will seriously compete with the Crosby/Malkin/Kessel monster on the other side of the state in the next 3-5 years?

Because I'm not really seeing it. YMMV.

A LOT!  Are you kidding me?  

1) For Starters (and this is the real key)

Provo, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Ghost and Gudas as your D squad in the next 2 seasons.  

And I'm not saying that because I expect them all to play like Rookie Provo or Rookie Ghost.  I'm saying that because if those are your D pairings and they display even just a CAPABLE exhibition of their respective skill sets, they will  be enable to enact:

2) A SYSTEM.  Hak's system for now... maybe someone else's if Hak doesn't stick around.  BUT A SYSTEM.

This team hasn't attempted to play a real system since 2010... and even then it was sketchy.  Laviolette tried, but his roster got screwed with too much.  Pronger getting hurt didn't help, but trading away the core and expecting him to be able to enact his system was ludicrous.  Berube's system was non-existant.  Hakstol has had flashes of trying to install it and have his guys execute it, but the leftovers of Hurricane Homor have thus far been completely unable to play a responsible transitional neutral zone and defensive game.  Once they can do this, it changes everything for...

3)  The OFFENSE isn't too old and they aren't too injured and they aren't too unskilled.  They're actually good players. They've been suffering from one basic problem:  

Because the defense has been unmatched and bad, at even strength play ALL forwards start from inside their own blue line with at least 2 defenders between them and the other goal.  They gain puck control and they are challenged immediately, they have no where but up the boards to skate and no one in front of them to pass to and no open passing lanes anyway because the opposing D is already set up and their center or LW is already checking them.  THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T SCORE AT EVEN STRENGTH.    

Now add to the above the addition of MORE youth, MORE speed and some better hands in the form of a developing Konecney, Lindblom, #2, Rubstov, and (hopefully) Weal (dude can seriously skate and attack).  And yeah, I start to get really excited.  Are any of them Crosby?  No.  That's not the point.  Crosby and Malkin and ESPECIALLY Kessell can do what they do at this point because of their supporting cast creating space and pressure, protecting their own end and generating opportunities.  What if Giroux had open passing lanes AND someone to pass to?  

Sullivan's system and coaching technique seems to be a key to the Penguins success right now.  It's not just those top three guys outskilling everyone, it's the entire penguins team outworking their opponent creating opportunities that those three are straight up excellent at capitalizing on.  Game 6 it was clear that they just had the pickle juice and the Senators were half asleep out there.  The PENGUINS are far more skilled than the Senators, but up until game 6, the Senators had been outworking the Penguins by and large.  

Anyway, long story short the Flyers building a roster so that they can start running a system that can enable them to actually compete at a decent level in the NHL.  Up until now they're only hope for success has been to play a "drag 'em down to your level and hope you get lucky" approach to the game.  Let's get them to where they're actually able to 

44 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Lyon has two years of waiver exemption or 60 NHL games played remaining. Stolarz has one year remaining. So neither is subject to waivers next season.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Makes me feel a LOT better about tandem backups for them.  

57 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Vis was more concerned about being hung out to dry by a young D being detrimental to a young goalie and being failed by a young goalie being detrimental to a young D. 

Or maybe if the goaltending is weak the young D will feel the need to step up, or if the defense is weak the young goalie will feel the need to step up.

All depends how you look at it.  Other teams have had bad seasons before with young players and have popped right out of it.  I don't think we have to treat hockey players like fragile pieces on Ming Dynasty China.

46 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We're in total agreement.  I just feel like because Hextall said they'd be trying to find another goalie that it means they'll either be losing Neuvirth somehow or planning a tandem with Neuvirth and another guy.  Obviously between the two the former is my preference over the latter.  Also, that and I can't imagine Neuvirth actually staying healthy enough to play a majority of games next year.

Hextall also said Mason would be an option, as would one of the young goalies in the organization.  So everyone hears Hextall say he will be shopping, but forgets that he said Mason could be back and an organizational goalie might be playing.  He is just posturing to the media.

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Provo, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Ghost and Gudas as your D squad in the next 2 seasons.  

And I'm not saying that because I expect them all to play like Rookie Provo or Rookie Ghost.  I'm saying that because if those are your D pairings and they display even just a CAPABLE exhibition of their respective skill sets, they will  be enable to enact:

2) A SYSTEM.  Hak's system for now... maybe someone else's if Hak doesn't stick around.  BUT A SYSTEM.

This team hasn't attempted to play a real system since 2010... and even then it was sketchy.  Laviolette tried, but his roster got screwed with too much.  Pronger getting hurt didn't help, but trading away the core and expecting him to be able to enact his system was ludicrous.  Berube's system was non-existant.  Hakstol has had flashes of trying to install it and have his guys execute it, but the leftovers of Hurricane Homor have thus far been completely unable to play a responsible transitional neutral zone and defensive game.  Once they can do this, it changes everything for...

3)  The OFFENSE isn't too old and they aren't too injured and they aren't too unskilled.  They're actually good players. They've been suffering from one basic problem:  

Because the defense has been unmatched and bad, at even strength play ALL forwards start from inside their own blue line with at least 2 defenders between them and the other goal.  They gain puck control and they are challenged immediately, they have no where but up the boards to skate and no one in front of them to pass to and no open passing lanes anyway because the opposing D is already set up and their center or LW is already checking them.  THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T SCORE AT EVEN STRENGTH.    

Now add to the above the addition of MORE youth, MORE speed and some better hands in the form of a developing Konecney, Lindblom, #2, Rubstov, and (hopefully) Weal (dude can seriously skate and attack).  And yeah, I start to get really excited.  Are any of them Crosby?  No.  That's not the point.  Crosby and Malkin and ESPECIALLY Kessell can do what they do at this point because of their supporting cast creating space and pressure, protecting their own end and generating opportunities.  What if Giroux had open passing lanes AND someone to pass to?  

Sullivan's system and coaching technique seems to be a key to the Penguins success right now.  It's not just those top three guys outskilling everyone, it's the entire penguins team outworking their opponent creating opportunities that those three are straight up excellent at capitalizing on.  Game 6 it was clear that they just had the pickle juice and the Senators were half asleep out there.  The PENGUINS are far more skilled than the Senators, but up until game 6, the Senators had been outworking the Penguins by and large.  

Anyway, long story short the Flyers building a roster so that they can start running a system that can enable them to actually compete at a decent level in the NHL.  Up until now they're only hope for success has been to play a "drag 'em down to your level and hope you get lucky" approach to the game.  Let's get them to where they're actually able to 

I'm very hopeful for next season too.  But I still think we miss the playoffs next season.  Its going to take them at least 2 seasons to be a Playoff team.  And probably 1 more to be a contender.  But I think we have a long window to win.

Though it is possible Ovechkin could go to Russia, Crosby could take a "Scott Stevens" hit, and Lundquist could retire...... Oh and the Devils will select the wrong player. :)

21 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

Or maybe if the goaltending is weak the young D will feel the need to step up, or if the defense is weak the young goalie will feel the need to step up.

All depends how you look at it.  Other teams have had bad seasons before with young players and have popped right out of it.  I don't think we have to treat hockey players like fragile pieces on Ming Dynasty China.

I agree, but it's a balance, right?  

I don't want the forwards to have to keep collapsing and killing the transition game because the team can't risk ANY decent shots because the goalie can't save them (and I do think Stolarz is significantly better than that).

At the same time, i don't want a goalie straying from his position, trying to make saves on impossible shots from continually blown coverage because the defense is so bad.  

However, I think it works in the other direction too and to a certain degree this year will be sink or swim time. And in my eyes, that just really means Swim or Swim time.  

18 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

Hextall also said Mason would be an option, as would one of the young goalies in the organization.  So everyone hears Hextall say he will be shopping, but forgets that he said Mason could be back and an organizational goalie might be playing.  He is just posturing to the media.

It's all on the table.

I'm not kidding at all. I don't dispute your points - and in large part agree with a lot of it - but the window on the VeeGees/Won The Trades core isn't going to stay open forever and the view outside is Pittsburgh. The Pens were 23 points better than the Flyers this past season and are actually competing for a second consecutive Cup. In fact, over the past two seasons the Pens' existing core has more playoff rounds than the Flyers do in the past seven.

And the facts are that Crosby and Malkin and Kessel aren't going anywhere for the next five years and they also have Letang (pending injury) and Maataa sewn up for that duration, too. Those guys are at the same career point as the Flyers' top players.

And they look like they have a legit, #1 franchise goalie in the making in Murray - not a bunch of Highly Touted Prospects (only one of whom has actually seen any NHL time).

Those are the guys that the Flyers are going to have to compete with. And they also have some talented young players who are getting at least Eastern Conference Final experience this year while the Flyers are honing their golf games. Competing for back-to-back Cups also makes them an attractive place for potential free agents.

The Pens have some possible cap trouble on the near horizon but if they can move Fleury that gives them some significant relief - and they're out from under him in two seasons anyway.

The general theme on this thread has been that the Flyers aren't "really" going to be in position to compete for the next few, if not 3-5, seasons as defence and goalies develop (presuming, of course, that significant portions of them pan out). Over that time period - whether two, three, four or five - it's the Pens that will still be sitting there.

Essentially, I'm in "show me" mode at this point and my orange-and-black glasses* don't have rose colored lenses.

I'm happy to be wrong and I'm clearly going to be watching as this all plays out.

* I wear the pair in my avatar every day with my Flyers hat.

It's all on the table.

Maybe Neuvy as @radoran alluded to is snagged by Vegas opening the door for a Mason return. I'd be ok with Steve back. The only thing i don't want is a long commitment and a lot of money spent on him.

However with that said if it took 5.5-6 mill to get him ink to only a 2 year deal i would be open to that. Also no NTC or NMC given to him. Because by the last year of that deal the goalie of the future should be a lot clearer.

13 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

I'm very hopeful for next season too.  But I still think we miss the playoffs next season.  Its going to take them at least 2 seasons to be a Playoff team.  And probably 1 more to be a contender.  But I think we have a long window to win.

Though it is possible Ovechkin could go to Russia, Crosby could take a "Scott Stevens" hit, and Lundquist could retire...... Oh and the Devils will select the wrong player. :)

I'll be interested to see what happens to the caps.  Oshie, Williams, Kuznetsov and Shattenkirk all need new deals.  Who will be back?  By whom could they be replaced?  Probably not by better talent.  Orpik has two more seasons under contract.  

The devils don't concern me for a while.  For some reason Mason can't beat them, but otherwise, I think they have a longer way to go towards competing than the Flyers.

The Rangers are also on a downslide IMHO.  Lundqvist is 35 and frankly did not look very good at a lot of moments throughout this season.  We complain about Mason's softees, but I saw king henrik give up a ton as well. Their depth and their Defensive leadership is their key and that doesn't look to be going anywhere, but they're even shorter on standout offensive talent than the Flyers.  Do they bring back Nash after this year?  Is it worth it?  Outside of that they rely on Zucharello, Stephan, Kreider, Grabner and Vesey.  Long story short is that the Rangers do not intimidate me if the Flyers can be playing a decent system.  Especially not 2 years from now.  NOW if the Rangers manage to scoop up Tavares, that could reignite them for a few more years.  They are a pretty deep team.  They just need some skilled leadership.

The Penguins are the Penguins.  They're good.  They're much better than they were in '07-'10  Frankly, I don't think those teams when they were making the Finals and winning the cup would be very competitive in today's game.  That team benefitted from a lot of help both interventionally and circumstantially and sometimes just dumb luck.  Now however, they're just an actually good team.  It's frustrating to me only because I came to hate them so much ten years ago.  

I never had a problem with them before.  Jagr killed us and that was frustrating, but damn he was just GOOD.  Kasparitus should have been banned from the game in '99 and '00 and I hated the HELL out of that player, but the team was just another team. When they won their cups with Mario and Borasso, I even rooted for them.  

BUT the 5 years Pre-Crosby and the subsequent three years of NHL play are a blight on the game and everyone associated it should be ashamed of themselves.  I applaud the league for amending its approach to that team and I commend their franchise for revising themselves and actually icing a fantastic competitive hockey team now, but I'll never forgive either for those years that perverted the game I love so much.  I'm sorry what we were talking about again?  Oh yeah.. the Penguins are just going to be good.  If the Flyers are going to truly compete any time in the next 5 years, they'll have to just flat out beat the Penguins somehow.  That's how it should be.  

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe Neuvy as @radoran alluded to is snagged by Vegas opening the door for a Mason return. I'd be ok with Steve back. The only thing i don't want is a long commitment and a lot of money spent on him.

However with that said if it took 5.5-6 mill to get him ink to only a 2 year deal i would be open to that. Also no NTC or NMC given to him. Because by the last year of that deal the goalie of the future should be a lot clearer.

I really can't help but feel like this is on the table.  I really feel like this is the ultimate reason for Neuvy's new contract AT THE DEADLINE.  The league was openly turning a blind eye to under the table negotiations because it wanted to help the Knights and not screw the existing teams as much as it could. 

It's really not hard for McPhee to see that Hextall was going to only leave MacDonald and some overpriced or moderate to bad forwards to choose from.  Maybe McPhee decides he wants Neuvirth over Cousins or Laughton or Weise.  Is that really such a shocker?  McPhee HAS to take 3 goalies in the draft and Hextall HAS to expose one, BUT McPhee can only draft Neuvirth specifically if he has a new contract with the flyers because he's UFA.  So McPhee let's it be known to Hexy, look... if you resign Neuvy, I'll be drafting him over the crap forwards you're going to expose.  

Add to this (and I just thought of this now actually) the fact that Hextall knowingly traded for a player he would HAVE to protect in Filppula.  Thus requiring Hextall to expose a forward he would probably rather not expose in (probably Raffl).  Why would Hextall do that unless he had a pretty good idea McPhee wasn't going to take one of them?

It's a gut feeling, and the evidence is circumstantial to conspiratorial tin foil, but none the less, I believe it's a strong possibility.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's a gut feeling, and the evidence is circumstantial to conspiratorial tin foil, but none the less, I believe it's a strong possibility.

McPhee drafted Neuvirth and Grubauer. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see him snag both for Vegas and run that as a tandem next season.

It's circumstantial, to be sure, but not an outlandish idea by any stretch.

And the timing of the Neuvirth deal keeps the window open for Mason - pending cost and term, yadda yadda.

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

McPhee drafted Neuvirth and Grubauer. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see him snag both for Vegas and run that as a tandem next season.

It's circumstantial, to be sure, but not an outlandish idea by any stretch.

And the timing of the Neuvirth deal keeps the window open for Mason - pending cost and term, yadda yadda.

And no matter what they have to select 3 goalies.

So the 3rd guys would be a guy they stash in the AHL for call up duty when needed due to injury...so just from my memory i think one of the best young guys like that who could be available would Subban or Jarry.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Sullivan's system and coaching technique seems to be a key to the Penguins success right now.  It's not just those top three guys outskilling everyone, it's the entire penguins team outworking their opponent creating opportunities that those three are straight up excellent at capitalizing on.

Those guys all skate like their breezers are on fire.

They are all tenacious with the puck, and pursuing it.

It would seem that Rejean Shero didn't **** them over, his guys just needed time to develop. 

I would take Bonino and Rust for my team any day.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

So the 3rd guys would be a guy they stash in the AHL for call up duty when needed due to injury...

Wait... who would get injured?

:hocky::ph34r::VeryCool::cheers:

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Wait... who would get injured?

:hocky::ph34r::VeryCool::cheers:

I' gonna go out on a limb and guess Neuvy would throw his back out bending over and tying his skates....

v2URufV.gif

Archived