Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Anybody else surprised at how quiet it's been around the Flyers. Every other team, you hear at least whispers or potential deals. The Flyers seem to be eerily quiet, other than the Gostisbehere signing, but even then, nobody really knew until the morning twitter feed that something was coming. The shroud of secrecy and suspense Hextall works under is completely different from previous regimens. 

I also feel like Hexy is a more back room deals kind of guy. I've no doubt he's been as active as any GM, probably more so than others. That said, I would not be surprised at all to see a few sudden moves happen in the next bit.

It's also worth noting the current Flyers team is really in limbo. Hexy would likely need to sell low to move the players other teams are possibly calling for (Couts and Schenn come to mind.)

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flyers have been a tight in terms of leaks in the media, so I'm not not taking silence as inactivity.  I'm sure Hextall has been fielding some offers for the second pick as well.

All that said, what would the Flyers have to offer by way of a deal?  I don't think they need to make a deal for expansion draft purposes, at least not in the same way that Anaheim, Minnesota and Ott might want to make some moves.  

Well, they have a third protection spot for a defenseman, so they could be a partner for one of the teams you mentioned. They could also move out one or more of their bottom 6 forwards for futures, though I'd guess that would happen after expansion. Roster freeze is in two days, so things are sure to pick up around the league as we head into the weekend. 

So yea we could of had Drouin. I wasn't far off on the cost like some people thought. 

But I really want to talk about something no one else is talking about. Vegas is interested in drafting Patrick. Maybe the reason we aren't hearing much is to keep a deal quiet. I can see Vegas taking Fluery and James Neal and flipping them to the Flyers with the 6th overall & VGK 1st 2018 for 2nd overall and a conditional 1st if the VGK pick is top 3. 

Idk maybe I'm crazy but I think Hextall has a deal worked out for Fluery. 

6 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

So yea we could of had Drouin. I wasn't far off on the cost like some people thought. 

But I really want to talk about something no one else is talking about. Vegas is interested in drafting Patrick. Maybe the reason we aren't hearing much is to keep a deal quiet. I can see Vegas taking Fluery and James Neal and flipping them to the Flyers with the 6th overall & VGK 1st 2018 for 2nd overall and a conditional 1st if the VGK pick is top 3. 

Idk maybe I'm crazy but I think Hextall has a deal worked out for Fluery. 

The Flyers simply don't have enough money for Fleury and Neal. If anything, the deal the Flyers make with Vegas will be something like Hagg or a prospect like Freidman for Calvin Pickard.

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The Flyers simply don't have enough money for Fleury and Neal. If anything, the deal the Flyers make with Vegas will be something like Hagg or a prospect like Freidman for Calvin Pickard.

If vegas taking MacDonald is part of the deal then they absolutely could do it. 

I dont want another meh goalie. Go with what we have or get someone worth making a move for. 

1 minute ago, JJMason33 said:

I dont want another meh goalie. Go with what we have or get someone worth making a move for. 

I don't think Pickard is a 'meh' goalie. This was a guy who was stuck on an incredibly bad hockey club. His numbers are very good when you consider that they were 21 points behind the second worst team in the league. Pickard's a good goalie. Nobody is touching the MacDonald contract and unfortunately, Hextall knows that.

44 minutes ago, JJMason33 said:

Vegas isn't taking MacDonald 

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

If Vegas just takes Read, I'll consider that a victory in itself.

I'd rather they take Neuvirth. At least with Read, he's a UFA this summer, so we can flip him by the deadline for future assets 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

To hell with Neal, I just want Fleury.

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

To hell with Neal, I just want Fleury.

I feel like I'd end up punching my tv screen by reflexive instinct if I had to watch Neal every game. I mean, I could probably keep it under wraps for a while, but a full season?? I dunno...

3 hours ago, murraycraven said:

i really dont see Flower coming to Philly.  I think you will see him playing for the VGKs next year.   

I think if you're LVK you can market around Fluery and his Cup wins.

That makes sense to me, you can't come out and say hey, we're gonna suck for 10 years, buy a ticket anyway.

MAF gives a team a chance to be "in" games in terms of score, they may be outshot and dominated territorially but if they lose 3-2 or win 2-1 because the goalie stood on his head that may keep asses in seats. MAFstill has the ability to do that, we just saw it vs Columbus and Washington.

I hope to hell we don't acquire James Neal, that guy doesn't fit the character mold Hextall seems to be trying to build

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think if your LVK you can market around Fluery and his Cup wins.

That makes sense to me, you can't come out and say hey, we're gonna suck for 10 years, buy a ticket anyway.

MAF gives a team a chance to be "in" games in terms of score, they may be outshot and dominated territorially but if they lose 3-2 or win 2-1 because the goalie stood on his head that may keep asses in seats. MAFstill has the ability to do that, we just saw it vs Columbus and Washington.

I hope to hell we don't acquire James Neal, that guy doesn't fit the character mold Hextall seems to be trying to build

I really don't believe Hextall would make that deal anyway.  You have a chance to get your future #1 center and THAT specific deal is not good enough.   The Flyers had unbelievable luck getting that #2 pick - sometimes you just make the simple decision. As for Flower - he is not coming to Philly.   As you pointed out he gives a "face" to the LVK and is a good veteran presence.   

If I had my way Hexy would target Pikard, Raanta and Mrazek.  Or, if some stroke of luck comes our way and take Neuvy I would certainly be contacting Mason to discuss a 2-3 year deal.  I want no parts of Bernier frankly...   

As it stands, if you assume Lindblom, #2OA, and 2 of Morin/Sanheim/Hagg make the team, and Weal (1.5 million) and Laughton (1.25 million) are re-signed, the Flyers sit with just a hair under 5.75 million in cap space with only a goalie slot remaining.

I wonder if Colin McDonald will be given a shot this season. IMO he offers much more than VdV and PEB. He would be a great fit on the bottom 6. He's physical as well, which this team doesn't have a lot of 

29 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I wonder if Colin McDonald will be given a shot this season. IMO he offers much more than VdV and PEB. He would be a great fit on the bottom 6. He's physical as well, which this team doesn't have a lot of 

everytime he gets called up I wonder why he doesn't "stick".

I thought I read somewhere that the organization valued his leadership in the A...but crap, he skates well and hits, he hasn't been on the wrong side of the puck very much when I've seen him.  

I think the organization wouldn't be hurt by rewarding him with a legit shot to make the big club for his time served on some terrible Phantoms teams.

I dunno maybe he's better off teaching the young high draft pick guys how to be pros...

So one of Hexy's moves need to find someone else to wear the A on their sweater....i vote for this guy to wear it...

provynhl18-1.gif

...not to many better on this team who can lead by example than Ivan....and who knows it could help him to take the C in the future when that time comes...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So one of Hexy's moves need to find someone else to wear the A on their sweater....i vote for this guy to wear it...

provynhl18-1.gif

...not to many better on this team who can lead by example than Ivan....and who knows it could help him to take the C in the future when that time comes...

We already know that VdV will wear all the letters this season. He'll also be the goalie this team so badly needs, as well as the janitor and beer vendor.

I also heard he's about 99% done on a cure for herpes.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well that solves that. I hope they can move him by the trade deadline....although he has a good year and he could prove to be to important for a playoff drive....

Yay....another wasted roster spot on a total stiff.:horn:

Archived