Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Schenns 25 goals should be made up by Konecny having another year under his belt (he only scored 11 last year) and Patrick, who has a great shot.

Lindblom if given the chance too. 

And Weal will certainly fill the void as well. 

Schenn only had 8 even strength goals in 79 games. Weal had 7 in 23 games. Wow looks like a bargain to me.

And whomever replaces Bellemare can't score less than him.

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Schenns 25 goals should be made up by Konecny having another year under his belt (he only scored 11 last year) and Patrick, who has a great shot.

And Lindblom and Weal. However, the Flyers have ~45 goals total to replace. I certainly think they can, but it's less of a given.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They will be fine. And they may even give up less.

I agree here.... based on last year's goal tending there is only one way to go - up!

Well, that is the hope anyway 80)

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I agree here.... based on last year's goal tending there is only one way to go - up!

Dear Lawd if we can get Jake (-24) and Ghost (-21) to improve their defense it could go a long way....

6 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

This is completely untrue.

Not completely, 27 of Schenn's 55 points came at even strength. 8 goals and 19 assists. That's a shade under half of his total production.  The other 28 came on the power play where he plays on the first unit with Giroux.

The point I was making was his production was tied to Giroux more than in the past. He didn't see much ice time with 28 or on the 1st power play earlier in his career, so most of his scoring was independent of Giroux.

That's what I meant by scoring depth, I probably should have been more specific and said"independent of " Giroux.

His middling 5 v 5 play allowed for teams to focus on defending the Flyers first line for much of the year.  Until the end of the year what line did Schenn play on where he was effective ?  It wasn't until the end with 14 and 22 ( 22 really padded his stats when the games didn't matter) that he finally started to show something, He's 25, he's the future, and he can't find a position or guys to play with ? time to cut that bait. 

I know that the Flyers lost scoring in terms of numbers, I do think though, that they will be more competitive for all 200 ft of ice, with Schenn playing somewhere else.

I won't miss him. He seemed like a good bloke, I hope he has a nice career. 

20 hours ago, murraycraven said:

So you think Hexy and the scouts haven't done their homework and they willy-nilly just pick players?   If anything I think Hextall and his Team are pretty darn good at evaluating talent at the prospect level.   

This move was to free-up money - simple as that.   Hextall thought he was expendable and not part of the core.  in the short term it hurts but long term is cheaper and has the potential to put better skill in the lineup

Morgan Frost was ranked as the 31st best North American player by NHL.com and barring an explosion at their practice facility that kills their entire roster, Washington is very likely to make the playoffs again. So yeah, I don't think there's much of a wow factor to this deal.

What is the over / under on how long the B Schenn drama continues?   The entire season?

P-ssy move to refer to a discussion as "drama" because you can't handle differing opinions.

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Not completely, 27 of Schenn's 55 points came at even strength. 8 goals and 19 assists. That's a shade under half of his total production.  The other 28 came on the power play where he plays on the first unit with Giroux.

The point I was making was his production was tied to Giroux more than in the past. He didn't see much ice time with 28 or on the 1st power play earlier in his career, so most of his scoring was independent of Giroux.

That's what I meant by scoring depth, I probably should have been more specific and said"independent of " Giroux.

His middling 5 v 5 play allowed for teams to focus on defending the Flyers first line for much of the year.  Until the end of the year what line did Schenn play on where he was effective ?  It wasn't until the end with 14 and 22 ( 22 really padded his stats when the games didn't matter) that he finally started to show something, He's 25, he's the future, and he can't find a position or guys to play with ? time to cut that bait. 

I know that the Flyers lost scoring in terms of numbers, I do think though, that they will be more competitive for all 200 ft of ice, with Schenn playing somewhere else.

I won't miss him. He seemed like a good bloke, I hope he has a nice career. 

As AJ already pointed out, his "middling" five on five play was virtually the same as Simmonds; whom we all love.

22 hours ago, murraycraven said:

So you think Hexy and the scouts haven't done their homework and they willy-nilly just pick players?   If anything I think Hextall and his Team are pretty darn good at evaluating talent at the prospect level.   

This move was to free-up money - simple as that.   Hextall thought he was expendable and not part of the core.  in the short term it hurts but long term is cheaper and has the potential to put better skill in the lineup

I think it's clear from Hextall's comments on Schenn when he gave him the new contract that Hextall wasn't exactly thrilled with Brayden.  Not so much that he would be willing to pass up serious offers. Also, I think Hextall was really open to clearing a roster spot to get some more looks at the kids in the lineup this year.  They never go into a season expecting to miss the playoffs, but this season (especially at forward) is as much about seeing who's got what goods.  It'll be frustrating for some who never really grasped the full depths of the Homerpocalypse (I know that's not you) but now is when we start to see what we've got... not when we start to necessarily see results from those ingredients.  

I agree that trading schenn had somethign to do with cap space as the deal frees up money in two years and that is about the time frame that they will be needing to make some big signings.

I think essentially it was an offer Hextall couldn't refuse.  He had a player with some skill, but far from a game changer who was more or less a liability at even strength and someone offered him two first round draft picks for him and ultimately, I think Hextall believes he can make up for those goals elsewhere in the lineup.  I'd have liked this deal more if Lehtera hadn't been involved, but St. Louis can't make the deal happen without it.  

And I agree about the scouts.  They clearly had their eye on Frost.  From what I understand from the reports inside dev camp, it makes sense.  The kid clearly isn't ready now, and nothing is ever a guarantee, but the kid really seems to have the nuts and bolts "can't teach this" stuff that can make for an extremely valuable forward in this league.  

... the kind of hockey sense and skills Schenn never really was able to put together for us.  

Which isn't to say Schenn isn't good.  I think he'll be a good player for years to come and will score even more goals on a better team.  

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Which isn't to say Schenn isn't good.

No he just isn't a center and doesn't fit in Philly any longer.....which is why he was shipped out of town.

2 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Laugh it up, but at even strength Schenn had exactly zero more goals than Konecny and only 2 more assists in 9 more games.

At even strength Konecny is arguable already as good or better than Schenn at almost 6 years younger than Schenn.

But but but the power play? 

Schenn played more than twice as many PP minutes per game as TK and he did it with Giroux, Ghost, Jake and Simmer.

Put TK on the first PP unit or give him some better tools on the 2nd one (Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim, anyone?) and let's see what happens.  

The beautiful part is that TK doesn't have to score those 17 PP goals all by himself to make up for Schenn's absence.  If he can score more than he did last year and Linblom, Patrick and Filppula can score more than Raffl, PEB and Read did last year, then we're off to a good start.

It's going to be a better team in the very near future.  

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

No he just isn't a center and doesn't fit in Philly any longer.....which is why he was shipped out of town.

Exactly.  He should to well.  I hope he does.  Just not against the Flyers.

On 7/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

Morgan Frost was ranked as the 31st best North American player by NHL.com and barring an explosion at their practice facility that kills their entire roster, Washington is very likely to make the playoffs again. So yeah, I don't think there's much of a wow factor to this deal.

P-ssy move to refer to a discussion as "drama" because you can't handle differing opinions.

take it easy cupcake....  It was not referring to you directly.  I have no issue with you being a Schenn-fanboy.  It is just most of us don't agree with you and that is alright.   Everyone can have different opinions which is why this board exists.

I LOVE that you already know that Morgan Frost is going to be a garbage player - all the while he was touted at camp as one of the most skilled players there and he is 18 years old.

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

take it easy cupcake....  It was not referring to you directly.  I have no issue with you being a Schenn-fanboy it is just most of us don't agree with you and that is alright.   

I LOVE that you already know that Morgan Frost is going to be a garbage player - all the while he was touted at camp as one of the most skilled players there.... 

You just keep proving my point – I never even said I like him, I just stated fizzacts about his production; which seem to bother you for some strange reason.

I don't seem to recall saying that. I didn't realize exaggerating people's comments to make your point look stronger was your thing. I thought that was more @OccamsRazor's bit.

Just now, fanaticV3.0 said:

You just keep proving my point – I never even said I like him, I just stated facts about his production.

I don't seem to recall saying that. I didn't realize exaggerating people's comments to make your point look stronger was your thing. I thought that was more @OccamsRazor's bit.

So let me ask.... you are really worried that the Flyers picked Frost at 27 and he was ranked at 31?   Do you even understand how that sounds?   They jumped a few spots to land the player they liked and have scouted quite a bit.   I am not sure I really understand your argument using the draft position.   

The kid has skill...   Schenn was a nice player but he is gone.  You are making it sound like we just lost Wayne Gretzky and the sky is falling.   

Archived