Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
JJMason33

Hextall's Offseason Moves

AJgoal    2,668
Just now, pilldoc said:

@AJgoal

Interesting graph.  Great find ..... So if I am reading this graph correctly, the Flyers did a pretty decent job of blocking shots from the outside, but did a pretty terrible job of blocking in around the faceoff circles and closer to the net as compared to the league average.  If I am wrong, please somebody let me know ..... thanks

No, these were shots taken by the Flyers. The red areas are where they took unblocked shot attempts faster than the league average, and the blue are where they were below league average rate. Essentially, they didn't shoot from high danger areas as a team.

• Like 2

pilldoc    2,096
3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, these were shots taken by the Flyers. The red areas are where they took unblocked shot attempts faster than the league average, and the blue are where they were below league average rate. Essentially, they didn't shoot from high danger areas as a team.

Ah ...gotcha ...thanks. I have never seen that type of graph before.

AJgoal    2,668
14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ah ...gotcha ...thanks. I have never seen that type of graph before.

It is at least a partial explanation of why the team as a whole doesn't score 5v5. They don't attack the slot. It's appears intentional. The question is, is it intentional because that's what Hakstol wants to do? Or is it intentional in order to cover for the D?

AlaskaFlyerFan    960
2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

More coaching related, but I found this interesting and didn't want to start another thread:

Shots.png

I see an old man that had too much to drink.  Or maybe that's me...

• Like 4

pilldoc    2,096
1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

The question is, is it intentional because that's what Hakstol wants to do? Or is it intentional in order to cover for the D?

Or could it be a combination of both?  Plus the fact the Flyers did not have the right players to attack the slot?? 

AJgoal    2,668
Just now, pilldoc said:

Or could it be a combination of both?  Plus the fact the Flyers did not have the right players to attack the slot?? 

Anyone can attack the slot. It's just a question of whether they can power their way there (Simmonds), or find and exploit openings (Weal). 

• Like 2

OccamsRazor    4,405
3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

More coaching related, but I found this interesting and didn't want to start another thread:

Shots.png

Image result for ren and stimpy what does it mean gif

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Most Liked Posts in This Topic

I'm old enough to remember the Flyers in the early 70's when they built through the draft and made timely trades (reacquiring Bernie Parent) before they won their 1st cup. I look at the Maple Leafs who luck out in getting a really good young player in the draft (Matthews) and the stars aligning for them to make the playoffs when every expert had them finishing anywhere from 11th to 15th worst in the eastern conference. Most Flyers fans have to realize how bad Holmgren left the Flyers in when Hexie took over. Holmgren didn't build a strong farm system, he always went for the quick fix and now the Flyers are paying for that. The Blackhawks and Kings went thru it for long periods before they won the cup, as for Pittsburgh, that's a totally different story (lots of help from Bettman). Bottomline is Hextall seems to have a plan I don't know if it follows the Kings or Blackhawks model but we as fans have to believe in the process or we can always go back to the Holmgren model of chasing that carrot that you'll never catch!
        It's really not without precedent.   For example, the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks. Over the course of five drafts from 2002 to 2007 the Hawks drafted: Kane, Toews, Hjalmarsson, Byfuglien, Bolland, Brouwer, Seabrook. Three years later that core of the team won the Stanley Cup and many of them repeated the Cup wins in 2013 and 2015.   In that time they also picked up Bryan Bickell who won the Cup with them in 2013 and 2015 and Corey Crawford.   Now that's nine players representing five years and 65 picks so obviously not every pick pans out (there are other names in those years who have successful careers like Wisniewski, Burish, Barker, Skille). 13 guys, 65 picks - 20% hit rate. And not all those guys are high rounders. Byfuglien was an 8th. Brouwer at 7th. Hjamarsson 4th.   Then you have the Los Angeles Kings who between 2003 and 2008 drafted Brown, Quick, Kopitar, Martinez, Lewis, King, Voynov, Doughty. That core won the Cup in 2012 and again much of that core repeated in 2014. They also drafted over that time Bernier, Hickey, Simmonds, Boyle...   What will happen for the Flyers who have drafted from 2011 through 2016 players like Couturier, Gotstobehere, Morin, Hagg, Lindblom, Sanheim, Konecny, Provorov, Rubtsov and Hart? Well, we may not know for another 2-4 years as they come into the league. Some of those guys likely aren't going to pan out. Others (Vorobyov, Sandstrom, Cousins, Stolarz, Leier, Aube-Kubel) may or may not as well.   But just because we literally have not seen this type of a team build around the Flyers for a long time - if ever - doesn't mean that the theory itself is flawed as eight of the last eight Cup winners demonstrate. It's not like the Pittsburgh Penguins didn't develop their original core through the draft and they drafted Guentzel, Murray and Maatta in 2012 and 2013.   The Bruins drafted Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Seguin, Marchand from 2003 to 2006 all of whom played in their 2011 Cup run.     I don't know if people "expected" it, but the Kings lost in the first round the two years before they won the Cup and hadn't even qualified for the six years before that. And the Blackhawks went from five straight years out of the playoffs to a Conference Final and a Cup win in back to back seasons.   To your point, this is a year we should expect some improvement - even if only marginal. The Flyers look awfully similar to the position the Bruins were in coming out of the lockout and if these draft picks pan out for the Flyers or are used as assets to fill holes, they could be in a good position.
      The Most important ranking is where the Flyers had him ranked.  They liked him at 27 and picked him there. End of story.
          We can pretty much use that metric for every player as of late - Schenn, Simmonds, Jake and G.   Apparently, Hextall thought that Schenn was not worth keeping around as part of the core and rather take the draft picks.   Stats are wonderful but looking at stats alone leads to an endless cycle.   Instead of Simmonds why not G who makes nearly double than Simmer?  Why not Jake?   I can't read Hextall's mind but there was SOMETHING that he felt Schenn was worth moving.   Maybe he believes his output will be replaced by some of the younger kids.  I have no clue and yet I still think we won the trade.   2 first round picks for Schenn?   Schenn is the quintessential "good at everything but a master of none" when you look at his skill set.   He is a decent skater, a decent shot, not very fast, and is below average with the puck and below average on defense.     Let's play a game:   If you took one player off the roster, as it stands today, that would hurt the Team the most who would that player be (outside of Prov) ?   Everyone around here loves to dog Couts so when are people going to recognize his worth?   It becomes semantics....   In the end the entire Team needs to score more at 5v5.   Looking at those numbers just reiterates how bad our offense has been.  Offensively, I believe we were 20 out of 30 teams last year - everyone needs to pick it up.     I also think that having Lindblom in the lineup and giving more minutes to TK is going to help.  Added to that we might just have a 4th line that actually is NHL worthy.   Going back to @mojo1917 point I think adding skill and speed is what Hextall is trying to do right now.   Time will tell if it was worth it but I am not going to be sad that Schenn is no longer part of the future.   
        Laugh it up, but at even strength Schenn had exactly zero more goals than Konecny and only 2 more assists in 9 more games.   At even strength Konecny is arguable already as good or better than Schenn at almost 6 years younger than Schenn.   But but but the power play?    Schenn played more than twice as many PP minutes per game as TK and he did it with Giroux, Ghost, Jake and Simmer.   Put TK on the first PP unit or give him some better tools on the 2nd one (Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim, anyone?) and let's see what happens.     The beautiful part is that TK doesn't have to score those 17 PP goals all by himself to make up for Schenn's absence.  If he can score more than he did last year and Linblom, Patrick and Filppula can score more than Raffl, PEB and Read did last year, then we're off to a good start.   It's going to be a better team in the very near future.  
        I see an old man that had too much to drink.  Or maybe that's me...

About us

We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and the great game of hockey in our Forums. Our members may write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more. If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

Contact Us

Recent tweets

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free