Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

Just now, pilldoc said:

@AJgoal

Interesting graph.  Great find ..... So if I am reading this graph correctly, the Flyers did a pretty decent job of blocking shots from the outside, but did a pretty terrible job of blocking in around the faceoff circles and closer to the net as compared to the league average.  If I am wrong, please somebody let me know ..... thanks

No, these were shots taken by the Flyers. The red areas are where they took unblocked shot attempts faster than the league average, and the blue are where they were below league average rate. Essentially, they didn't shoot from high danger areas as a team.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, these were shots taken by the Flyers. The red areas are where they took unblocked shot attempts faster than the league average, and the blue are where they were below league average rate. Essentially, they didn't shoot from high danger areas as a team.

Ah ...gotcha ...thanks. I have never seen that type of graph before.

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ah ...gotcha ...thanks. I have never seen that type of graph before.

It is at least a partial explanation of why the team as a whole doesn't score 5v5. They don't attack the slot. It's appears intentional. The question is, is it intentional because that's what Hakstol wants to do? Or is it intentional in order to cover for the D?

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

The question is, is it intentional because that's what Hakstol wants to do? Or is it intentional in order to cover for the D?

Or could it be a combination of both?  Plus the fact the Flyers did not have the right players to attack the slot?? 

Just now, pilldoc said:

Or could it be a combination of both?  Plus the fact the Flyers did not have the right players to attack the slot?? 

Anyone can attack the slot. It's just a question of whether they can power their way there (Simmonds), or find and exploit openings (Weal). 

Archived