Getzlaf uses slur (poll)

yave1964

Should Ryan Getzlaf be suspended for homophobic slur?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ryan Getzlaf be suspended for homophobic slur directed at ref?

• yes
    • no

A couple of hours ago Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf was fined 10 thousand dollars for abusing an official with extremely vulgar language and already the cry of double standard is popping up, every day players getting one thing while superstars receive another.

I debated on posting a clip of it, someone else is welcome to if they choose but it is indeed rather vulgar, in a pique of anger he referred to the ref as a clucking sock butter or some such, if you want to look it up you are welcome to and if someone else wishes to post the clip they are welcome to. I am sure you get my point.

Andrew Shaw of the Canadiens, a hard working player was suspended last season while a member of the Hawks for one playoff game and forced to undergo sensitivity training for using the same term in a playoff game against the Blues. The BlueJays just suspended a player for two games for doing the same thing. Social media is erupting saying that Getzlaf deserves the same suspension as Shaw and is receiving unfair treatment because of his star status. The fact that it was homophobic to many makes it worse.

My personal opinion is the entire PC thing has just gotten out of control, I am not a fan of Getzlaf, i have said for years that there is no more whiny team than the Ducks, Perry and Getzlaf cry at every stoppage of play more than any two players I have ever seen. They could be suspended nightly for abuse of an official if the league wanted to push it which of course they do not, they want their stars on the ice not in the press box or the locker room  It is just the name of the game.

So no, I would not suspend Getzlaf and feel that the fine was deserved. If the official had tossed him from the game immediately I would have agreed with that as well. Like I said, Getzlaf cries more than any two players in the game today and sooner or later he needs to be held to account for it but the fact that he used a homophobic slur IMHO is not deserving of suspension in and of itself, His acting like an ass, his general disrespect and disregard of officials not only nightly but almost every single shift is. 

Hmm...

Well, I am voting "Yes" and here's why:

The NHL has already set a precedent for the kind of behavior and the punishment that follows.

If other players were already suspended for that kind of reaction towards an official, then Ryan Getzlaf, REGARDLESS of how many goals he can score or which team he is the captain of, should get the same.

An ongoing problem in the NHL is rule consistency and punishments for violating those rules.

If the NHL is ever going to be taken seriously as a well run entity, then they need to stick with precedents, be clear and enforce their rules (including those regarding conduct by players, coaches, AND officials themselves) in a consistent manner.

I am pretty sure that the kind of language Getzlaf used is more common than people think or care to admit, either on the ice, in the locker room, or amongst players when cameras aren't around.

But when something like that is said to an official, in public, it is CLEARLY a show of disrespect to the appointed 'law' in the game, that can't be tolerated.

Hockey wouldn't be the only sport where embarrassing an official, making physical contact, or speaking to them in a demeaning manner would earn you the gate, a suspension, a fine, or ALL THREE.

Baseball doesn't tolerate players abusing umpires, the NFL wouldn't let players blatantly abuse field officials, and the NBA doesn't let players talk to refs like they were some street "homie" from 'down the way'.

So, yes, I voted Getz gets at least one game along with his fine NOT because of any PC stuff (though that can be debated in another thread), but because the NHL has already set the precedent of the kind of punishment for that kind of action.

I agree with @yave1964 on the type of players guys like Getzlaf, Perry and a couple others on the Ducks are. They have often angered me as a fan when I see them pull stunts on the ice, then cry bloody murder when the opposition returns the favor.

Things like that could be called "gamesmanship", though I do agree those two guys take things a bit far many times.

But how those players act, cry and complain has nothing to do with me saying Getz should get a supsension.

The fact that the NHL has established repercussions for asinine commentary such as what Getzlaf used, DOES.

Stick with the guidelines you have set Mr. and Ms. NHL offices...otherwise, you will continue to be a joke among other professional establishments.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

My opinion is that the league bowed down to pressure from the PC police and needs to rethink it. You have a racist fool like Don Cherry spewing anti Euro stuff nightly but that is okay. So homophibia is  not okay but racism is fine. Terrible place to draw the line.

If the league wants to fine or suspend Getzlaf ofr abuse of offical, I see it and concur. He needs tossed out of a game every now and then to show him that he is not in charge on the ice, yep I get it. But the comment should not be the reason for a suspension.

Geesus, anyone who's played competitive sports has been called the same thing a hundred times.  And, called somebody else that name another thousand times.

So what?

Getzlaf isn't just any player. He's one of the better players in the league, and most recognizable. He's considered a star, kids look up to him, whether he likes it or not.

If you're going to get the accolades for being a really good or great player, then you have to have responsibility for what words come out of your mouth, whether it's the heat of battle or not. Giving him a game suspension sends a clear message of zero tolerance, and in this series, it might be enough to cost Anaheim moving on. The only thing Getzlaf has going for him is he doesn't have this type of bad reputation.

3 minutes ago, blocker said:

Geesus, anyone who's played competitive sports has been called the same thing a hundred times.  And, called somebody else that name another thousand times.

So what?

On the surface and in itself, it isn't a big deal. However, you're not making millions of dollars, and kids don't look up to you. You're also not a professional hockey player. I'm not attacking you, just calling it how I see it.

To answer the poll as succinctly as possible, I say "no". However, we live in an age where hurting somebody's feelings is damned near the worst thing you can do, so who knows what will happen.

They should stop players from looking at their opposition the wrong way too.

I've had guys do that to me over the years....scarred for life I tell ya!. If only I had my mom at those games it never would have happened.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

They should stop players from looking at their opposition the wrong way too.

I've had guys do that to me over the years....scarred for life I tell ya!. If only I had my mom at those games it never would have happened.

I have been called many names in sports and by my boss in real life and I have been on the opposite end of the spectrum as well. Suck it up buttercup is my advice to anyone who has a problem with their little feelings over a bad word being said in their company. It is life.

As I pointed out with Getzlaf and Perry (And Selanne when he played with them) it is the constant abuse of on ice officials at every whistle and every stoppage. My God you would think that the on ice crew was being paid to insure that the Ducks lose and Perry and Getzlaf look bad or something. THAT is what I would like to see the league crack down on, in MLB if an ump took that kind of abuse the manager or player would be gone. Ask Billy Martin or Earl Weaver.

So the verbosity does not bother me and I am not being callous towards the LGBT community with that, I support their right to do whatever and whoever they choose wholeheartedly. My problem is WHO it was said to. Until Bettman gives the on ice officials the right to take back over the game and get these crybabies back under control it is just going to get worse.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Suck it up buttercup

I'm asking for a friend. 

Is this phrase homophobic, too? 

I've heard that phrase a thousand times (clucking sock butter) and have used it myself. I think for most people it's simply an insult you throw around that has absolutely no thought out meaning behind it (regardless of whatever etymology it has). It's just something you call someone. Like ass hole. Is anyone literally referring to an actual body part when they call Hockey Junkie that? 

No, it's just a derogatory name. That's all. 

So lets throw the homophobic crap out. No one is really using it that way. Get over it. 

Now, abuse of official:  so long as the disciplinary action is the same as if he'd said "ass hole" or "scrotum boy" or whatever, then fine. 

At any time, the ref can call an unsportsmanlike minor or 10 minute misconduct or game (if he's really fragile) and that should be the end of it. No fine. No suspension.  Period. 

And honestly, the role model argument is ridiculously overblown. What planet is this? Any kid who has made it to first grade in public school has heard and said "clucking sock butter."  And any first grader in Christian /Catholic school has probably done it. Can we please stop with the, "oh, the innocence!" routine? 

And maybe parents need to help their kids with better role models than Ryan clucking sock butter Getzlaf anyway. 

No on the previous suspensions and no on this one. It's ridiculous. 

@ruxpin

There is no bigger liberal on this site than moi, but my heart does not bleed nor do I weep whenever someone uses a bad word. They are words and we have gotten too damn sensitive in this country as a whole. If a man can brag about grabbing women by their genitalia and still be elected President then I believe that something as silly as referring to someone by a derogatory term be it MFer or FCS or take your pick just needs to be chalked up to part of life.

Again, if you watch Duck games tho pay attention to those two crybabies, Perry and Getzlaf whining at every whistle. EVERY. SINGLE. WHISTLE. I would have no problem with a ref tossing them for their antics, not because they used a certain word but because for a decade they use every single diatribe humanly possible and show blatant disrespect and disregard for the authority of the officials.

The two things I could do without in Hockey are:

Abuse of officials. It really is getting out of hand.

Facewashing and the BS between players who wont drop their gloves and dont have to after a whistle. If you start crap and run and hide behind an official when someone drops their gloves and calls you out on it YOU should be the one penalized or tossed. See Orpik-Brook.

Off my soapbox now. See you Clucking sock duckers later.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

@ruxpin

There is no bigger liberal on this site than moi, but my heart does not bleed nor do I weep whenever someone uses a bad word. They are words and we have gotten too damn sensitive in this country as a whole. If a man can brag about grabbing women by their genitalia and still be elected President then I believe that something as silly as referring to someone by a derogatory term be it MFer or FCS or take your pick just needs to be chalked up to part of life.

Again, if you watch Duck games tho pay attention to those two crybabies, Perry and Getzlaf whining at every whistle. EVERY. SINGLE. WHISTLE. I would have no problem with a ref tossing them for their antics, not because they used a certain word but because for a decade they use every single diatribe humanly possible and show blatant disrespect and disregard for the authority of the officials.

The two things I could do without in Hockey are:

Abuse of officials. It really is getting out of hand.

Facewashing and the BS between players who wont drop their gloves and dont have to after a whistle. If you start crap and run and hide behind an official when someone drops their gloves and calls you out on it YOU should be the one penalized or tossed. See Orpik-Brook.

Off my soapbox now. See you Clucking sock duckers later.

I hope you didn't take my post as directed at you.

My problem is solely with the parsing words (political correctness) in the heat of a hockey game--or any sports game--when those terms have absolutely no real intent or meaning in the no-pressure zone of sitting in a room watching a game with a beer. 

It's foolishness.

As for Getzlaf/Perry, I don't disagree.  That's why I have no problem with a ref hitting them with the 2-min unsportsmanlike or whatever is necessary.  They are whiners from a long tradition of Anaheim whiners.  

I think for the most part we uniformly agree.

"No bigger liberal."   Would you settle for a tie here?

@ruxpin

GOD NO I didnt take offense at any of that. As fellow liberals we are called snowflakes and people always accuse us of being too PC but I am sick of the whole 'my widdle feelings were hurt because the bad man said a naughty word' mentality that is so prevalent in this World. It is clear that you feel the same way, But like I have stated many times in here about great minds.......

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

maybe Perry needs a fine too

WOW. Not surprised, Perry and Getzlaf have been doing this crap their entire careers.

I picked the Ducks in the West before the season, not because I like them (I dont) but because of their enormous talent. I just do not care for this crap that they do every night and if the Predators somehow overcome the loss of Fiala, Fisher and Johansen to best them I will be happy to be wrong.

Once, some Chinese technicians referred to me with an expression that I later found out to be "The pink ni##er".

I betcha nobody here can beat that.   

1 hour ago, blocker said:

Once, some Chinese technicians referred to me with an expression that I later found out to be "The pink ni##er".

I betcha nobody here can beat that.   

Close. A police officer once called me a "prairie ni##er" right to my face, in English, with no need for future translation. He went straight to the heart of the matter.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:32 PM, FD19372 said:

Getzlaf isn't just any player. He's one of the better players in the league, and most recognizable. He's considered a star, kids look up to him, whether he likes it or not.

If you're going to get the accolades for being a really good or great player, then you have to have responsibility for what words come out of your mouth, whether it's the heat of battle or not. Giving him a game suspension sends a clear message of zero tolerance, and in this series, it might be enough to cost Anaheim moving on. The only thing Getzlaf has going for him is he doesn't have this type of bad reputation.

I was going to agree with @blocker but then I read your post and changed my mind.  I'm not going to judge or label a professional athlete but what comes out of their mouth in the heat of battle but the fact remains he said it and should get the same punishment set by precedent. I won't think any less of Getzlaf for something like this.  

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, ruxpin said:

No, it's just a derogatory name. That's all. 

So lets throw the homophobic crap out. No one is really using it that way. Get over it. 

Now, abuse of official:  so long as the disciplinary action is the same as if he'd said "ass hole" or "scrotum boy" or whatever, then fine. 

Agree 10000000 % . Derogatory, hell yes. However, there are thousands of LGBT who don't ever want to be associated with some of those referees......

Funny that Perry puts so much effort into getting the ref's hand off him, to the point of leaning into it with both arms, but still can't manage to get free.

Getzlaf, they need to prioritize what needs to be fixed -- and this would seem to be low on the list.

Archived