Linden Vey off to the KHL

yave1964

I have never had any doubt in my mind that Linden Vey is an NHL player. None. Now we will probably never know. He is reported to be on his way to the KHL for the 2017-18 season and for most it is a one way trip. Once you make that move only a very few ever come back to the NHL.

Vey was a fourth round pick of the Kings who performed well at the AHL level and was dealt to the Canucks for a second rounder and spent the 2014-15 season on the 4th line putting up 10 goals and 24 points as a rookie. The following season splitting time between the 4th line, the press box and Utica he had 15 points in 41 games. But the truth is it was amazing that he could play at all.

For those two seasons he had to deal with the outside distraction of the attempted murder allegations and then trial of his father who along with his mistress was accused and then found guilty of plotting to murder their respective spouses. Linden spoke openly about it whenever asked and made it clear that he was close to both of his parents as well as his siblings but the only place he was able to find quiet and solace was on the ice.

The Canucks gave up on him after year two, he signed with Calgary and spent most of the season in Abbotsford where as usual in the AHL he was a point a game producer, appearing in only four games in the NHL. 25 years old, his NHL dream may now be dead.

I watched him live in a game against Columbus once, Burrows was out and so was Dorsett so Vey played on a top line and was brilliant. He passes like a center although he plays wing. The one thing I noticed is that he was a bit tentative to shoot, more inclined to pass first. But still his last four seasons in the AHL he is nearly a point a game producer.

He is/was the type who needed a middle six role to get the most out of him and I believe based off of his statistics that he very easily could have had a Kris Versteeg kind of career. The Canucks in recent years would not know a prospect if they saw one and dont seem to have a clue. By the time he landed in Abbotsford/Calgary after the mess that was his personal life he was damaged goods through absolutely no fault of his own and now he is likely gone from the league forever. Sad story really.

Archived