Congrats Preds and Lavvy!

King Knut

Anyone else kinda hope Dave Poile sends Holmgren a special delivery of 14 Bouquets consisting of 8 yellow roses each?

Go forth and keep fighting Lavvy!  Really impressive work.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Anyone else kinda hope Dave Poile sends Holmgren a special delivery of 14 Bouquets consisting of 8 yellow roses each?

I hope the Preds win it all, I'm sure Shea Weber is pissed that Poile traded him to the Canadiens, but Subban is loving it.

39 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Gotta say I am having a ball watching the Preds and hope they win it all.   It is a really fun brand of hockey to watch -- they play with "jam."

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

:haha2:

I think Predators/Penguins would be fun as hell to watch, they play a similar style, lots of speed and tenacity.

I also think no Johnasson and no Fisher = no cup.

Losing your 1c and 2c then trying to match up with Malkin and Crosby...good luck.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Predators/Penguins would be fun as hell to watch, they play a similar style, lots of speed and tenacity.

Losing your 1c and 2c then trying to match up with Malkin and Crosby...good luck.

Yeah sadly i would say sweep....finally get there and to beat up to do anything...

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think we'll probably see Fisher again.  If it was a drastic end of the year injury they'd probably have told us what it was like they did with Johansson.  How strong he is in his return will be the question.

Either way it will hurt the Predators in their own end and on the score sheet, and the defense will have to rely more on neutral zone coverage.  

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Nobody thought they would beat the Ducks after losing Johansen and Fisher.  Someone forgot to tell the Preds they couldn't win...

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Nobody thought they would beat the Ducks after losing Johansen and Fisher.  Someone forgot to tell the Preds they couldn't win...

Somebody also forgot to tell the Ducks that the Preds still have Pekka Rinne.

I don't know if I've ever heard the true story about what happened with Lavy in Philadelphia.  Does anyone know the truth?  I loved Ed Snider, but if he was pushing to fire Laviolette, shame on him.  I doubt Holmgren was responsible.

Lavy is a good coach and he seems to be a player's coach.  So why would they fire him?  It's not like they were on a 3 year streak of not making the playoffs.  I don't remember the flyers being that bad at that time.  I feel like this past year was way worse than any Lavy year.  Not only that, they fire him 3 games into the season and replace in with berube???

The entire thing sounds like an irresponsible impulse decision.

36 minutes ago, icehole said:

I don't know if I've ever heard the true story about what happened with Lavy in Philadelphia.  Does anyone know the truth?  I loved Ed Snider, but if he was pushing to fire Laviolette, shame on him.  I doubt Holmgren was responsible.

Lavy is a good coach and he seems to be a player's coach.  So why would they fire him?  It's not like they were on a 3 year streak of not making the playoffs.  I don't remember the flyers being that bad at that time.  I feel like this past year was way worse than any Lavy year.  Not only that, they fire him 3 games into the season and replace in with berube???

The entire thing sounds like an irresponsible impulse decision.

It pretty much was an irresponsible impulse decision.

By all accounts Snider was unhappy with the training camp - "worst in 47 years" (which he said wasn't the coach's fault, but rather the players - and he has been quoted before saying "you can't replace all the players"*)

http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20131008/SPORTS/131009785

The general feeling around here (and among Many) was that failing to make the change after the previous season was the real problem. If they were going to fire Laviolette, fire him when you have a chance to go out and find an NHL coach, not just throw a multi-year deal at Craig Berube because he happens to be standing nearby.

The firing of Laviolette wasn't necessarily the bad thing - it was the timing and the replacement.

* which is kind of absurd given that the 13-14 team had all of four players that had been on the Cup Final team three years prior...

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

By all accounts Snider was unhappy with the training camp - "worst in 47 years" (which he said wasn't the coach's fault, but rather the players - and he has been quoted before saying "you can't replace all the players"*)

The general feeling around here (and among Many) was that failing to make the change after the previous season was the real problem. If they were going to fire Laviolette, fire him when you have a chance to go out and find an NHL coach, not just throw a multi-year deal at Craig Berube because he happens to be standing nearby.

The firing of Laviolette wasn't necessarily the bad thing - it was the timing and the replacement.

* which is kind of absurd given that the 13-14 team had all of four players that had been on the Cup Final team three years prior...

That's bad...and a shame.  Not saying the flyers would be in the finals right now, and not saying the flyers would be any good right now with Lavy, but I liked him a lot and I think he is a way better coach than Hak is now or maybe better than Hak will ever be.  

I know that's a bold statement considering he's only had two years, and those two years had bad players, but I don't know if his personality makes a NHL team better.  I don't know how he is behind close doors, but something tells me he is a little bit distant from the players.  That combined with lack of emotion makes for a very boring team.

I'm not saying that he has to stand on the boards ready to jump to the other team's bench, or start a fight in the hallway with the other coach, but how many NHL coaches keep a stone face when they score a big goal, get humiliated in a game, or have bad calls go against them.  I can't think of one.  I certainly can't think of a successful one.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's also likely that the firing of LaViolette AND the replacement were the problem.  

Holmgren traded away the core of the team for picks and magic beans that were simply going to take some time to develop.  Then he let Jagr walk for zilch.  Then he traded his #2 overall pick and eventual perrennial 30 goal scorer for a crappy D man.  Then there was the Bryz/Bob fiasco. 

Camp sucked because the team sucked.  What was Lavvy supposed to do with that bunch chum?  

Now if you told me Homer had a conversation with Laviolette in which they agreed that the team assembled couldn't run Lavvy's system and in which Lavvy suggested to Homer if that was the team he NEEDED to ice, then finding a different coach whose proclivities leant toward the mediocre players of the world might be the best option...  then I could see it.  If Lavvy said that in a very angry way and threw some crap at Homer, I could see that too and I wouldn't blame him.  

As it was, they lost a game and Homer decided on the plane home that firing the coach that took them from the toilet to the cup finals with a backup goalie and an AHL goalie... the coach that took them from a 3-0 series deficit against an apparently superior team to a 4-3 win in 7 games... the coach that brought Jagr back from the dead and made Giroux an 8.5 million dollar man.... Homer decided getting rid of THAT guy would solve all the problems his crappy decision making had lead to.

Way to go Homer.  

2 minutes ago, icehole said:

That's bad...and a shame.  Not saying the flyers would be in the finals right now, and not saying the flyers would be any good right now with Lavy, but I liked him a lot and I think he is a way better coach than Hak is now or maybe better than Hak will ever be.  

I know that's a bold statement considering he's only had two years, and those two years had bad players, but I don't know if his personality makes a NHL team better.  I don't know how he is behind close doors, but something tells me he is a little bit distant from the players.  That combined with lack of emotion makes for a very boring team.

I'm not saying that he has to stand on the boards ready to jump to the other team's bench, or start a fight in the hallway with the other coach, but how many NHL coaches keep a stone face when they score a big goal, get humiliated in a game, or have bad calls go against them.  I can't think of one.  I certainly can't think of a successful one.

Look, I have my issues with Hak (however I do think he can be a great coach for this team if he starts working as hard and learning as much as he demands of his players), and while I absolutely HATE Berube as a coach (I'm sure he's a fine human being), and LOVE Lavvy as a coach, the simple fact of the matter is that Homer screwed this roster up so bad and put them in such an awful cap position over the last 5 years, that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY would have made the Flyers better than they have been.  Maybe with Laviolette, they sneak out a series win against the Rangers or caps or sneak into the playoffs one of the years they missed... but they're not going to have been a GOOD team suddenly because Peter was their coach.  That's why firing Lavvy made no sense as well though.

It was a god awful team that was impeded from improving itself because Homer made god awful moronic decisions as GM.  In the end, it was as much a blessing for Laviolette as anything.  At least he got out and started working for a GM with some guts and brains to back up those guts.  

13 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Hate PK. Hate Neal

f 'em

I never hated PK, and I think Neal had instigators like Malkin and Cooke to egg him on sometimes.  I haven't heard much from him since he's been a predator.

I don't even hate Crosby anymore.  I hate the fact that Malkin punches someone in the face during every scrum and gets away with it.  I hate the fact that the penguins just replace their cup winning team of AHLers with more AHLers and still get as far as they have.  I hate the fact that Fleury gets a shutout, has one bad game, gets replaced by Murray, and they become a much better team.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Way to go Homer. 

Holmgren took the team that Clarke built and saw it get to a Conference Final and then a Cup Final.

Then he built a team that hasn't been out of the first round in five seasons and has all of two rounds of playoffs to show for it.

We're almost to the point where Hextall should be taking full responsibility, but this franchise has been reeling from the blow up of the roster that Holmgren engineered in 2011 as well as godawful decisions like AMac, VLC, JVR for LSchenn...

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Holmgren took the team that Clarke built and saw it get to a Conference Final and then a Cup Final.

Then he built a team that hasn't been out of the first round in five seasons and has all of two rounds of playoffs to show for it.

We're almost to the point where Hextall should be taking full responsibility, but this franchise has been reeling from the blow up of the roster that Holmgren engineered in 2011 as well as godawful decisions like AMac, VLC, JVR for LSchenn...

Well that's not really fair.  To be fair to Homer, he inherited Richards and Carter and Giroux.

He went out and got Briere, Hartnell, Timmonen, Coburn, Knuble who were all also instrumental in the conference final appearance and the cup final appearance.  

Homer started out okay.  He made some smart moves.  Coburn, Hartnell and Timmonen were inspired actually.  Briere was controversial, but it worked.  Marty Biron... okay Homer was usually pretty awful with Goalies... but then again taking the chance on Rayzor was also desperate but inspired.  It worked too.. until catastrophic hip failure.  

Anyway, of all of Homer's copious atrocities to this team, most began after the cup final loss and A Mac as bad as it was, wasn't even in the top 5 as far as I'm concerned.  

To this day, I still believe Homer got LeCavalier and St. Louis confused.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Well that's not really fair.  To be fair to Homer, he inherited Richards and Carter and Giroux.

He went out and got Briere, Hartnell, Timmonen, Coburn, Knuble who were all also instrumental in the conference final appearance and the cup final appearance. 

I give him a lot of credit for his early moves. Briere was the best of the "ZOMG MUST HAVE #1C" that season and getting Hartnell and Timonen was great. He signed Simmonds to his current contract.

The problem was he got away from his own plan.

Some of that might have been desperation to "get Snider a Cup" but I think Snider nailed it when he mused about "overvaluing their players."

And the guy overvaluing them was Homer.

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

To me it all started with his handling of the goalies in that Sabre series...and it just went down hill from there...then losing to the Devils...then when he was finally shown the door he just didn't have the players who could skate in his system...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Talbot - Couturier - Read
Rosehill - Hall - Rinaldo

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Streit
Grossmann - Meszaros

..so it was easier to just fire the coach than ALL of the players...the biggest problem was his replacement was just rearranging the chairs on the titanic....Lavy just had to many sloths to run his system it was his issue it was Homer's...but most of us here all know this. Here is a good read on it from today.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/5/23/15680388/peter-laviolette-flyers-predators-fired-hindsight

Bottom line is that is way behind them and now they need to continue the course they are currently on. The farm is in the best shape i have ever seen. They just need to figure a few things out for next year....most notably who will be the main man in the crease.

Archived