2017 Stanley Cup Finals: Pittsburgh vs Nashville

hf101

2017 Stanley Cup Finals: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins Lords Stanley Cup?

• Penguins sweep 4-0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Nashville sweep 4-0
    • Nashville in 5
    • Nashville in 6
    • Nashville in 7

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it ain't looking good Rinne is 0-9 versus the Penguins...shall he get his 10th??? We'll see i guess 5-11 180 pound Jusse Saros ain't the answer for sure......

I didn't know Rinne was 0-9 vs the Penguins, yikes.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I didn't know Rinne was 0-9 vs the Penguins, yikes.

For whatever reason, he just hasn’t been able to play at a high level against Pittsburgh. In ten career games versus the Pens, Rinne has an .865 save percentage and one win that came in relief in 2009. He has never beat them as a starter.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/gallery/pekka-rinne-is-killing-the-predators-060117

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it ain't looking good Rinne is 0-9 versus the Penguins...shall he get his 10th??? We'll see i guess 5-11 180 pound Jusse Saros ain't the answer for sure......

It will be interesting to see what happens in game three. Lavy hasn't said who he's going to start.  Does that mean he contemplating a change to Saros?  That would be ballsy. 

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

It will be interesting to see what happens in game three. Lavy hasn't said who he's going to start.  Does that mean he contemplating a change to Saros?  That would be ballsy. 

I think had the Predators received just average goaltending in the first two games of this series it would be tied 1-1. If I'm Lavy I think I may start Saros.  Rinne has killed my guys, who have been skating hard and playing really well for long, long stretches of the games played so far, With the exception of some undisciplined overly aggressive penalties and the goalie play there has been a lot to like about the Preds effort.  I think everyone knows how the season ends if Rinne continues to play as he has. The question is how soon ? game 4 or 5...35 has shown no signs of suddenly "finding it" vs the Pens. 0-9 &.865 speaks pretty loudly.

There's not much left to this season, all the stops have to be pulled, who knows when a team will be able to make it this far in the tournament again. The Pens with Crosby and Malkin have made it just 4 times in their 10 years on the team.,..that tells you how hard it is to make the finals. Pekka will get over it if the switch changes the direction and eventual outcome of this series.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think had the Predators received just average goaltending in the first two games of this series it would be tied 1-1. If I'm Lavy I think I may start Saros.  Rinne has killed my guys, who have been skating hard and playing really well for long, long stretches of the games played so far, With the exception of some undisciplined overly aggressive penalties and the goalie play there has been a lot to like about the Preds effort.  I think everyone knows how the season ends if Rinne continues to play as he has. The question is how soon ? game 4 or 5...35 has shown no signs of suddenly "finding it" vs the Pens. 0-9 &.865 speaks pretty loudly.

There's not much left to this season, all the stops have to be pulled, who knows when a team will be able to make it this far in the tournament again. The Pens with Crosby and Malkin have made it just 4 times in their 10 years on the team.,..that tells you how hard it is to make the finals. Pekka will get over it if the switch changes the direction and eventual outcome of this series.

If Lavy is going to make the change it has to be Game 3.  If he's still in a position where he has to decide on a goalie for Game 4 then it likely means that the Preds lost Game 3 and at that point the goalie becomes the equivalent of deck chairs on the Titanic. I guess Rinne "could" play awful and the Predators still win Game 3 but the only way I see that scenario happening is if Game 3 ends up in a high scoring shootout...and I don't see the Predators beating the Pens in a game like that.

If it's me, I roll with Rinne. Pick your cliche...you ride the horse that got you here. Go down with you guy.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Those are Jonathan Bernier (6'0,  184 lbs) type numbers!!

:hocky:

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Those are Jonathan Bernier (6'0,  184 lbs) type numbers!!

Exactly...........whole lota net to shoot at....gulp........russian roulette i say!!!!!!!

Also i hope he knows who Nelson Mandela is......

:ph34r:

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure that record is correct.

This site shows his regular season splits as 1 - 5 - 2.  It's only marginally better than 0 - 9, but still...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/rinnepe01/splits/

EDIT:  I should have read the whole thread before posting.  I see what they're doing there...Not counting the win because it was in relief and the OT losses are counted as a loss even though the Preds gained a point.

21 hours ago, nossagog said:

Actually, the Pens are 0 for the first two games on the power play.   If the Preds continue to play over the edge, its a matter of time before the Pens PP pots a few.    That could make it even more difficult for the Preds.   Coming out at home in game 3, they need to reel in their exuberance a little at the beginning of the game and not take bad penalties early. 

The Penguins scored on the power play in Game 1: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore/_/gameId/400954317 

And I thought they did in Game 2. In fact I remember 

an announcer saying that. But apparently they didn't: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore/_/gameId/400954318 

So a media member may have accidentally brainwashed me regarding 

Game 2 :D or I may be getting less sleep than previously thought. :turned:

If audio memory serves and if the info came from a reliable source :)

Nashville averaged only three penalties per game before this Finals. 

You're right-on about the Preds needing to check themselves so they 

don't offer Pittsburgh more opportunities to beat them. 

:toast:

43 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

There is no way that Pekka Rinne does not start the first ever Stanley Cup Final game held in Nashville.  The cornerstone of that team for the last 9 years.  NO WAY.

Dance with who brung ya.

Yes i agree it isn't a series till someone loses at home!

2 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

The Penguins scored on the power play in Game 1: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore/_/gameId/400954317 

And I thought they did in Game 2. In fact I remember 

an announcer saying that. But apparently they didn't: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore/_/gameId/400954318 

So a media member may have accidentally brainwashed me regarding 

Game 2 :D or I may be getting less sleep than previously thought. :turned:

If audio memory serves and if the info came from a reliable source :)

Nashville averaged only three penalties per game before this Finals. 

You're right-on about the Preds needing to check themselves so they 

don't offer Pittsburgh more opportunities to beat them. 

:toast:

Forgot about the Malkin PP goal in game 1.  In game two, I think Guentzel's goal was a little bit after the Power Play ended. 

10 hours ago, B21 said:

If it's me, I roll with Rinne. Pick your cliche

I think it's a case where the head coach will cover his arse by playing his "#1" guy. If you lose with your backup goalie in there, the head coach takes the blame. If you lose with Rinne in there, it's all on him. 

Rinne will start game 3 (99% chance), but he'll be on a short leash. If things go south, I imagine the switch gets made and Rinne never plays another game in this series. :)

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

There is no way that Pekka Rinne does not start the first ever Stanley Cup Final game held in Nashville.  The cornerstone of that team for the last 9 years.  NO WAY.

Dance with who brung ya.

Good angle. Totally forgot about that. 

27 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Big win for Nashville. The Penguins look to be missing Bonino. Game 4 should b good. 

Matt Andre Mleurry got pretty well exposed in this one.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Matt Andre Mleurry got pretty well exposed in this one.

His glove was really off tonight.  Even some of the easy saves he dropped for rebounds.     Preds will probably target this big time next game. 

@hf101 totally agree about the Pens missing Bonino.  Its funny how important the role players become in the tournament.  13 is a total glue/effort guy who has made a lot of big plays in the playoffs.  His presence is missed.

I was all set to throw Rinne under the bus and back over him several times.  He played well last night, so looks like I'll be looking for some dirty bird seasoning to go with my Crow fritters.

Jake Guentzel continues to be the best player on the ice when he sees it.  If I am Nsh I am trying to tie up his stick from the moment his blades touch the ice, hitting him doesn't seem to affect his ability to make good things happen for his team.  What a find that kid is.

Speaking of tying sticks up this is something I think the Pens do very well.  I wonder who on the staff is responsible for coaching it. In nearly every game i've watched there have been juicy rebounds and pucks that are in the vicinity of opposing players, who are in scoring position, and they can't make the play. It's not because the Pens are bringing the lumber and hitting them it's because nearly every Pen has their stick in "the way" their stick positioning in their zone has been top notch. They are almost always in the opposition's triangle making it difficult/impossible to take advantage of a loose puck that is in a dangerous spot on the ice.  

I wonder if Nashville's physical play is starting to effect the Pen's defense.  I thought Doumolin has been  really good this series but he's been paying a huge price nearly every time he touches the puck, It seemed to me that as the game wore on last night I heard his name less and less... I didn't think I heard Daley's name a whole lot either, those guys have been up against it the whole tournament I wonder if the grind is getting to them. 

Archived