This is the end . . . . my friends

nossagog

As we come down to the end of the season with the Penguins in the Cup Final,  it begs a coming question for two players who've contributed not only to the Pens recent success, but have had long successful careers in the NHL, "Is this the end? Are these my final games?"  When is it time to hang up the skates and go off into the sunset of their playing days to begin the next stage in life.   

Chris Kunitz and Matt Cullen have played a cumulative 2250 regular season and 272 playoff games in the NHL.  Neither is considered a "star" player by any means, but both players have that extra thing in them that teams have always sought to push them over the top to championships.    The player that does anything they need to to just get it done.  As their careers declined statistics wise, its that extra factor of team work and leading younger players by example that have made them valuable pieces these past two seasons for the Penguins.  Both have moved up and down the lineup as needed on a team that has gone through many injuries, and never complained about their roles on the team.  

For Matt Cullen, I think that this is for sure his last season playing in the NHL.  At 40 years old, its time to let go of the game and move on to family and a new career. Drafted 35th overall in the 1996 draft by the Mighty Ducks, he's had an 18 year career spanning 8 different NHL teams. He has two Stanley Cup championships already with Carolina in 2006 and with the Penguins in 2016. He has been a solid contributor everywhere he has been.   Carl Hagelin had a great quote after game 7 in the Ottawa series about what he was feeling on the bench during the game.  He said "I looked at Cully beside me and thought, he's not going out like this".  

For Chris Kunitz, he was never really supposed to be here.   Undrafted, he was picked up by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks after an NCAA career in 2003. Players like that don't normally work out.  Yet he rose fast with the Might Ducks in his first few years before being traded to the the Penguins along with Eric Tragradi for Ryan Whitney.  By the way, great "tweet" by Whitney after game seven against Ottawa, "Chris Kunitz, how did they get that guy!", Ryan Whitney's contribution to the Pens Cups.  Kunitz fit in(and was glued to ) on the top line of the Pens and provided a physical side of the game.    Although he has been criticized these past few years for not producing enough, his energy and dedication to the team was always over the top. Kunitz now has Stanley Cups in 2007 with the Mighty Ducks and in 2009 and 2016 with the Penguins.  At 37 years old, I can't see the Penguins signing him with the youth that they have coming up.   It's my hope that he takes this moment to go out on a high note and not sign a short term contract to grind out another season. 

The storybook ending to both players long careers would be to skate off along with the Stanley Cup sometime in the next two weeks, and say goodbye to the game.  As a Pens fan, I'm doubly okay with that.   As a hockey fan, it would be a great ending to two solid careers in the NHL for a couple of players whom never failed to give it all.

Matt Cullen is one that I thought his career was over 4 years ago when he played for the Wild.  He's one of those players that has been a steady and consistent 3rd line center and great for the game.   I wouldn't be surprised to see him in coaching soon.  

Kunitz is yeah, one of those guys I can't wait until he is out of the league....  :tongue:   Such a Flyer killer... Always there when the Pens needed a goal.  I can see the Penguins organization finding a spot for him.   

Looking back on the Anaheim trade of Ryan Whitney to the Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi I have to say that the Penguins won this big time.  

8 hours ago, hf101 said:

Matt Cullen is one that I thought his career was over 4 years ago when he played for the Wild.  He's one of those players that has been a steady and consistent 3rd line center and great for the game.   I wouldn't be surprised to see him in coaching soon.  

Kunitz is yeah, one of those guys I can't wait until he is out of the league....  :tongue:   Such a Flyer killer... Always there when the Pens needed a goal.  I can see the Penguins organization finding a spot for him.   

Looking back on the Anaheim trade of Ryan Whitney to the Ducks for Kunitz and Tangradi I have to say that the Penguins won this big time.  

I forgot about Tangradi! Who did the Pens trade him to?

• 2 weeks later...

Well there it is, the Stanley Cup has been awarded to the Pittsburgh Penguins.   So there are three players to talk about here who may end their careers. 

1) Chris Kunitz will be 38 years old as the season starts this fall.   He now has four Stanley Cups.   I don't think the Pens will resign him as a player, but you never know.   If not, does he sign with another team?   As a fan, I say hang em up, go out riding into the sunset with the Stanley Cup riding Shotgun.

2) Matt Cullen will be 41 this fall.  He has more upside than Kunitz as he was the best faceoff man the Pens had, and was still serviceable for the PK and defensively.  But 41?   Have a big party with the cup this summer, spend some time with the kids, and make plans for the future.  Could see Cullen moving into the coaching circles, but the wear and tear has got to be high at his age.  He came back for the second cup, done that, move on. 

3) Ron Hainsey will be 37 come next playoff time.  Yes it took him all this time to get to the playoffs, let alone win the Stanley cup.  He is okay defensively as a third pairing guy if a team would like him, and I think that after his first taste of the playoffs, he probably would love to do it again. But I don't see the Pens signing him. Of the three, he's the one who is most likely to keep playing. 

@nossagog

I think Cullen retires just based on his post-game comments (“I have a pretty good feeling about where things are at,” said Cullen, who is an unrestricted free agent. “It's a pretty good way to go out.")

I love a storybook ending as much as the next guy so I hope Hainsey and Kunitz decide to go out on top as well. If not, I'd be shocked if the Pens brought Hainsey back.  Kunitz I see at 50/50. He's clearly accepted his new role (3rd/4th line with the occasional time in the top 6 depending on injuries). All depends on the salary for me. Already working on my "next year" post. :VeryCool:

5 minutes ago, B21 said:

@nossagog

I think Cullen retires just based on his post-game comments (“I have a pretty good feeling about where things are at,” said Cullen, who is an unrestricted free agent. “It's a pretty good way to go out.")

I love a storybook ending as much as the next guy so I hope Hainsey and Kunitz decide to go out on top as well. If not, I'd be shocked if the Pens brought Hainsey back.  Kunitz I see at 50/50. He's clearly accepted his new role (3rd/4th line with the occasional time in the top 6 depending on injuries). All depends on the salary for me. Already working on my "next year" post. :VeryCool:

Way too soon.  Can't wait for 1PM today to watch the replay on NHL network. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Way too soon.  Can't wait for 1PM today to watch the replay on NHL network. 

We'll it's going to be a long post... :-)

But still a few days away. 

Archived